Photo
- - - - -

Semin re-signs with Carolina: 5 years, $35 million ($7M/yr)

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:28 AM

Wiz never woulda came here. I recall reading an article talking about the wings screwed his uncle out of his job with the wings, or something like that.

Link?  Or is that speculation?  Fact is that James Wisniewski was coming off his best career season, could have gone to most any team in the league, and signed with the worst team in the NHL because they paid him competitively and went out of their way to show him they specifically wanted him by trading for his rights. 

His negotiating rights were traded for a conditional seventh round pick and "future considerations".  Apparently a conditional sixth round pick and future considerations was too rich for KH's blood.  Never know what can happen if you get those extra couple weeks.  In this case one of the worst teams in the history of the NHL was able to convince one of the hottest free agents in that year's class to come play for them.  On the flip side, we have a hard time convincing anyone of any value to come play here.  Maybe we should start trading for negotiating rights...

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#42 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:33 AM

Well you've got em: Quincey, White, Colaiacovo, Sammy.  They're all very willing to take less money and provide less quality play.   Also, Holland could have traded for Wiz's rights just as easily as Columbus did.  James didn't even make it to the UFA market because Columbus traded for his rights, showed him they meant business, and that they were willing to offer him a competitive wage.  Detroit was "interested" in him but did none of that...so of course they missed out. 

He could of, but that would've been a waste would it have not? Wiz was already set on not coming to Detroit, he labeled off exactly why he went to Columbus. Even in the interviews he said that the minute Columbus called he made him and his agent go meet with them. It was close to his home, and he was going to get big $$$. That's all he wanted, secure huge paycheck and close to home. His agent even said that he would've gotten more money in free agency, he just didn't care. There was no helping Wiz, the dude's mind was already made. We can sit here and complain about it non-stop similar to Hossa or we can realize that he simply doesn't like Detroit.

When you don't get free agents, you have to look at other options. Holland went with what he could get. Would you have rather him not get anyone at all? Carlo I honestly don't have problems with, as long as he can stay healthy. This season wasn't the best, but we can't see the future and maybe it seems more brighter. I know the pattern isn't looking good for him, but thing's aren't always so static. White, I think he is an alright defensemen but he has fallen deep into a hole he won't get out of. He doesn't have wheels, and he hesitates his first pass which makes the lanes close. Sammy... ugh, i'm not a hater but he's certianly frustrating this season, i'll give you that. Quincey... I don't hate his play as much as I hate his personality. He isn't the worst, but paying a 1st round pick certainly hurt. Holland wanted his baby back.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#43 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:34 AM

^ What are you talking about kip?  Holland convinced Commodore to come to Detroit! :hehe:

esteef

Edited by esteef, 16 April 2013 - 10:36 AM.

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#44 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

^ What are you talking about?  Holland convinced Commodore to come to Detroit! :hehe:

esteef

Couldn't convince him enough to wear 64. Not good enough.

"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

#45 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:38 AM

He could of, but that would've been a waste would it have not? Wiz was already set on not coming to Detroit, he labeled off exactly why he went to Columbus. Even in the interviews he said that the minute Columbus called he made him and his agent go meet with them. It was close to his home, and he was going to get big $$$. That's all he wanted, secure huge paycheck and close to home. His agent even said that he would've gotten more money in free agency, he just didn't care. There was no helping Wiz, the dude's mind was already made. We can sit here and complain about it non-stop similar to Hossa or we can realize that he simply doesn't like Detroit.

When you don't get free agents, you have to look at other options. Holland went with what he could get. Would you have rather him not get anyone at all? Carlo I honestly don't have problems with, as long as he can stay healthy. This season wasn't the best, but we can't see the future and maybe it seems more brighter. I know the pattern isn't looking good for him, but thing's aren't always so static. White, I think he is an alright defensemen but he has fallen deep into a hole he won't get out of. He doesn't have wheels, and he hesitates his first pass which makes the lanes close. Sammy... ugh, i'm not a hater but he's certianly frustrating this season, i'll give you that. Quincey... I don't hate his play as much as I hate his personality. He isn't the worst, but paying a 1st round pick certainly hurt. Holland wanted his baby back.

Contradictory?  He wanted big money but didn't go to free agency where he would've been paid even more?  Holland's cheapness preceded him is why Wiz didn't give him the time of day.  Detroit is just as close to his home and was a much better team than the BJs at the time.

esteef

#46 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:45 AM

Contradictory?  He wanted big money but didn't go to free agency where he would've been paid even more?  Holland's cheapness preceded him is why Wiz didn't give him the time of day.  Detroit is just as close to his home and was a much better team than the BJs at the time.

esteef

I thought about it before I had hit enter but it's alittle hard to read. I should've been more clearer before hitting enter. What I meant is that he knew Columbus would offer him a great paycheck and he would be close to home. He didn't need to hit free agency. He was content with the huge paycheck that Columbus paid out because it's what he was looking for. The man simply doesn't and didn't like Detroit, but he got as close as he could to Michigan with the paycheck.

"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

#47 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

I just looked through a 10 page wizzy thread on here from 2011. Couldnt find the post i was looking for. I could be mistaking him for Kesler. But I know ive read that somewhere where a hometown kid who grew up hating the wings because they screwed his family and it caused alot of struggle for them.

Crosby is a crybaby *****

#48 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

I've always like Semin, he's a quality hockey player.  But I've REALLY wanted Wisniewski for a long time.  I couldn't believe Detroit passed on him until I remembered that he's young, tough, and not currently working through any issues that would drive down his market value.  But what I wouldn't give for a top four defenseman that can hit, fight, score, and run a powerplay?  Alas, Ian White was available at the same time.  And when a bargain like that comes along you can't afford not to take advantage of it. 

Bitterness abounds. Bitterness untempered by knowledge, for that matter. As others have noted in this thread, Wizniewski would never have signed with the Wings. He made this clear.

The guy is overrated anyway. He's fairly good on offense when given first-pairing minutes, but he's a sieve in his own end.

#49 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,577 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:25 PM

If you don't like the thread, don't post it in it. 

It's really pretty simple. 

If you do post in the thread.  Stay on topic and no personal attacks of any kind.  This includes ones of the thinly veiled passive aggressive variety.

#50 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:32 PM

esteef

So because of one snarky comment by a player, you're now criticizing Holland's for his acuity at getting players to sign very affordable contracts. Yikes.

Edited by Crymson, 16 April 2013 - 04:34 PM.

#51 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:57 PM

So because of one snarky comment by a player, you're now criticizing Holland's for his acuity at getting players to sign very affordable contracts. Yikes.

Save when possible, spend when necessary.  It could be the difference between Ian White and James Wisniewski.

esteef

#52 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

There is a pretty good argument that if we spent the money on Wiz we would be worse off. He's been injured a ton since 2010, he's a one dimensional guy that would play a ton of minutes and hurt us defensively. Do we really think that having Wiz here missing 40+ games last season and 1/3 of this one( he's only played more than 70 games once in his career) would really help us that much? Then add to the salary he's making and the constraints of us actually going for a player that would make us better in he future? You pay 5 million + on really good players that can stay healthy, Wisniewski is not this type of player in my opinion. His offensive skill would probably be worth it for some teams, but with his injury history in addition to our defense that really lacks a lock-down defensive guy outside of Ericsson, he would not be the answer.

#53 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

There's also an argument that signing Wiz and pairing him with Lids all season could've propelled us further than a first round exit in the playoffs.  And maybe playing a puck moving style of hockey means he wouldn't have been injured in the first place.  Wiz has never been benched in Columbus for sucking whereas Ian White has in Detroit.  I know I'd rather have Wiz as a d-man right now and as we move to the more rugged Eastern Conference than Ian White.  Wiz certainly wouldn't look to the ref to do something when Howard gets bolled over.  But hey, once again, Holland got a "bargain".

esteef

#54 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:44 PM

No doubt about it, Wiz is better than White. But unlike Wiz, White can be let go after this year and we can move on to find someone better and White is getting paid about 3 million less* . Wisniewski is injury prone, flat and plainly. He gets injured too much, you didn't like Holland going after Sammy right? Seems hypocritical to me, Samuelsson actually played more games last season...

Edited by Carman, 16 April 2013 - 07:48 PM.

#55 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

No doubt about it, Wiz is better than White. But unlike Wiz, White can be let go after this year and we can move on to find someone better and White is getting paid about 3 million more . Wisniewski is injury prone, flat and plainly. He gets injured too much, you didn't like Holland going after Sammy right? Seems hypocritical to me, Samuelsson actually played more games last season...

Maybe signing Wiz means we don't have to move on and find someone better.  And I'd actually like Holland to go after Semin for a 1 year deal this offseason instead of an old injury prone re-tread like Sammy but I'm not the "Best GM in the NHL".  Once again, Holland's cheapness kept him from improving the team.

esteef

#56 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

Save when possible, spend when necessary.  It could be the difference between Ian White and James Wisniewski.

esteef

Sorry, but didn't you say that Wisniewski was out of the question because of his opinion that Holland was a cheapskate?

#57 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:30 PM

Sorry, but didn't you say that Wisniewski was out of the question because of his opinion that Holland was a cheapskate?

If Holland wasn't cheap, Wiz wouldn't be out of the question to begin with.  Follow?

esteef

#58 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:33 PM

If Holland wasn't cheap, Wiz wouldn't be out of the question to begin with.  Follow?

esteef

Not at all, given that your line of argument has shifted back to its original point. Say again why Wizniewski called Holland cheap.