• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
number9

Jokinen/Wallace On Waivers By Canes

Rate this topic

I don't believe that is how the waiver wire works.

Nevermind, I stand corrected..

Its not quite the same. Percentage of possible points doesn't follow the league rankings, it follows % of points from games actually played. A team with 3 games in hand and a lower standing would lose out to the team ranked slightly higher.

Correct?

If more than one team makes a claim, then the player will be transferred to the team having the lowest percentage of possible points in league standings at the time of the request for waivers.

Edited by evilmrt

Given the season's he's having and the overall impression that he's washed up, I doubt anyone will want him at $3m for next season.

I would think that a team struggling to score goals but still in the playoff hunt would take a flier on him. Someone like Phoenix, Winnipeg, Nash...hell maybe even San Jose. I don't really know though, I'm just basing this off of his potential, age, and previous numbers. I haven't watched a single Carolina game this season. He does have 5 goals and 5 assists though. In this shortened season it's not terrible...not great...but not terrible.

I was going to say no he's an older, worse Brunner with no upside but on closer inspection he's only 29 with no major injuries coming off 65, 52, and 46 point seasons. Wrong direction but still impressive. He'd be a good replacement for Flip if we traded Flip or couldn't resign him. He'd also be an improvement on shootouts over Z.

Guest Crymson

I would think that a team struggling to score goals but still in the playoff hunt would take a flier on him. Someone like Phoenix, Winnipeg, Nash...hell maybe even San Jose. I don't really know though, I'm just basing this off of his potential, age, and previous numbers. I haven't watched a single Carolina game this season. He does have 5 goals and 5 assists though. In this shortened season it's not terrible...not great...but not terrible.

Five goals, five assists, no defensive acumen, no physicality, and no special area of skill means no takers at $3m.

Blown away no one claimed him. This shows how dire the trade market (in terms of teams being tight fisted with next years cap) if no one will scoop up a 3 million dollar player who scored 30 goals a few seasons ago for free.

Wow, Jokinen clears.

Must be in horrible physical and mental shape. Will get bought out this summer and will either sign a rock bottom contract, or go play in Finland. What a shame, I'd like to know what went wrong with this guy.

Edited by evilmrt

Five goals, five assists, no defensive acumen, no physicality, and no special area of skill means no takers at $3m.

Looks like you were right on this one. I thought for sure he'd get picked up...as did Lebrun at ESPN who speculated this morning that he'd get claimed pretty quickly. Good call.

Looks like you were right on this one. I thought for sure he'd get picked up...as did Lebrun at ESPN who speculated this morning that he'd get claimed pretty quickly. Good call.

The factor we're not used to considering are the amnesty buy outs. Why claim him when you can force the Canes to burn one on him? Plus, he might actually get his chit together in the AHL.

Guest Crymson

Never listen to ESPN on hockey :D

will he have to clear re-entry waivers if he gets his crap together in the AHL? Or can they wait till the playoffs and call him up with no waivers?

New cba eliminated re-entry waivers.

Really kinda surprised a few teams on the brink of missing the playoffs didn't take Jokinen...the guy had put up some decent points in the last few years and is still young. Pretty big salary for a chance though I guess.

Guest Crymson

Really kinda surprised a few teams on the brink of missing the playoffs didn't take Jokinen...the guy had put up some decent points in the last few years and is still young. Pretty big salary for a chance though I guess.

$3m is 5% of the cap next season, and the new CBA does not allow teams to stash players in the AHL. Cases like this are no longer no-risk affairs along the lines of, "We'll give a shot at him, because why not? We could always just waive him if it doesn't work out."