• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

We do not need another soft and streaky player FFS.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#22 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:28 PM

I'd seriously consider Jokinen, not as a permanent fix, but as something that could help.  How far down the waiver list are we anyway?

I believe we sit at #21 right now because we're at #9 currently in the standings

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#23 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,546 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

I believe we sit at #21 right now because we're at #9 currently in the standings

Sort of a moot point then, Jokinen will definitely get claimed before he gets to us I'd imagine.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#24 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

Whaddya mean I can't beat BOSTON?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:08 PM

I don't believe that is how the waiver wire works.

Nevermind, I stand corrected..

Waiver Priority

If more than one team puts in a claim on a player during the waiver period, then the team with the higher waiver priority's claim is accepted.

If the claim is before November 1, waiver priority is based on the previous year's standings, with the team with the worst record having first priority and the team with the best record having last priority.

If the claim is after November 1, waiver priority is based on the current year's standings, defined as the lowest percentage of possible points. 

Let me state that I think that is ridiculous. It should be: season starts with waiver wire in order from Worst to First. If you use your waiver, you are put at the bottom of the list. All other teams stay in the order they were in. That way (potentially) every team would have a semi-fair shot. By ranking it PER WAIVER, the current lower seeded teams ALWAYS have a priority over the current higher seeded teams irrespective of the prior year's finish. 

It all but guarantees that perennially successful teams like the Wings will almost never have a decent shot at waived players because some basement dweller *cough* I'm looking at YOU, New York *cough* will have priority even if they've used 26 prior waiver claims in the season already. 

Edited by FireCaptain, 26 March 2013 - 11:21 PM.

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#25 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:18 PM

Sort of a moot point then, Jokinen will definitely get claimed before he gets to us I'd imagine.

Given the season's he's having and the overall impression that he's washed up, I doubt anyone will want him at $3m for next season.

#26 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:19 PM

I don't believe that is how the waiver wire works.

Nevermind, I stand corrected..

Its not quite the same. Percentage of possible points doesn't follow the league rankings, it follows % of points from games actually played. A team with 3 games in hand and a lower standing would lose out to the team ranked slightly higher. 

Correct?

If more than one team makes a claim, then the player will be transferred to the team having the lowest percentage of possible points in league standings at the time of the request for waivers. 

Edited by evilmrt, 26 March 2013 - 11:21 PM.

#27 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,546 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:30 PM

Given the season's he's having and the overall impression that he's washed up, I doubt anyone will want him at $3m for next season.

I would think that a team struggling to score goals but still in the playoff hunt would take a flier on him.  Someone like Phoenix, Winnipeg, Nash...hell maybe even San Jose.  I don't really know though, I'm just basing this off of his potential, age, and previous numbers.  I haven't watched a single Carolina game this season.  He does have 5 goals and 5 assists though.  In this shortened season it's not terrible...not great...but not terrible. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#28 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:08 AM

I was going to say no he's an older, worse Brunner with no upside but on closer inspection he's only 29 with no major injuries coming off 65, 52, and 46 point seasons. Wrong direction but still impressive. He'd be a good replacement for Flip if we traded Flip or couldn't resign him. He'd also be an improvement on shootouts over Z.

#29 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:14 AM

i got happy when i saw jokinen placed of waivers. then i found out it wasnt olli

#30 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:24 AM

I would think that a team struggling to score goals but still in the playoff hunt would take a flier on him.  Someone like Phoenix, Winnipeg, Nash...hell maybe even San Jose.  I don't really know though, I'm just basing this off of his potential, age, and previous numbers.  I haven't watched a single Carolina game this season.  He does have 5 goals and 5 assists though.  In this shortened season it's not terrible...not great...but not terrible. 

Five goals, five assists, no defensive acumen, no physicality, and no special area of skill means no takers at $3m.

#31 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:27 AM

Five goals, five assists, no defensive acumen, no physicality, and no special area of skill means no takers at $3m.

Kenny's ideal player. Get er done Kenny!

Edited by Number19, 27 March 2013 - 12:27 AM.

#32 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:46 AM

Kenny's ideal player. Get er done Kenny!

Nice try, but no cigar.

#33 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

Wow, Jokinen clears.

#34 theman19

theman19

#40 Mobile suit Zeta, the new red comet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:25 AM

Blown away no one claimed him. This shows how dire the trade market (in terms of teams being tight fisted with next years cap) if no one will scoop up a 3 million dollar player who scored 30 goals a few seasons ago for free. 

#35 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:25 AM

Wow, Jokinen clears.

Must be in horrible physical and mental shape. Will get bought out this summer and will either sign a rock bottom contract, or go play in Finland. What a shame, I'd like to know what went wrong with this guy.

Edited by evilmrt, 27 March 2013 - 11:28 AM.

#36 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,546 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

Looks like you were right on this one.  I thought for sure he'd get picked up...as did Lebrun at ESPN who speculated this morning that he'd get claimed pretty quickly.  Good call.

#37 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

Looks like you were right on this one.  I thought for sure he'd get picked up...as did Lebrun at ESPN who speculated this morning that he'd get claimed pretty quickly.  Good call.

The factor we're not used to considering are the amnesty buy outs. Why claim him when you can force the Canes to burn one on him? Plus, he might actually get his chit together in the AHL.

#38 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:35 AM

Never listen to ESPN on hockey :D

#39 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,546 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

Never listen to ESPN on hockey :D

It's not so much that I listen to ESPN as I listen to Lebrun.  He's usually pretty "in the know" and is only a contributor for ESPN.  He's regularly a TSN guy. 

#40 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

will he have to clear re-entry waivers if he gets his crap together in the AHL? Or can they wait till the playoffs and call him up with no waivers?

Edited by number9, 27 March 2013 - 11:38 AM.