• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
haroldsnepsts

Red Wings lead NHL in man-games lost to injury

Rate this topic

Not really a surprise, but for those feeling like the Wings have had terrible injury problems this year, it's not unfounded.

Florida is 2nd, then Ottawa.

I figured the Wings would be near the top but not actually in first.

Here's the full list.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/globe-on-hockey/red-wings-sens-lead-nhl-in-games-lost-to-injury/article10447942/

Speaks volumes on our prospects, character of our team, and most importantly our coaching staff. I tip my hat off to the crew for making something out of this team. At the beginning of the season, people thought this was the year we would finally feel the transition stages. From the injuries we've endured and losing Lidstrom, Rafi, and Stuart on the backend.. wow... can't even complain about this team.

Wasn't the only game this season where we had every single one of our starters playing the first game?... Unless someone else was hurt because I remember jan was playing in that game

Helm didn't play. Nor did Eaves (concussion) and Kindl (groin). Possibly a few others.

Speaks volumes on our prospects, character of our team, and most importantly our coaching staff. I tip my hat off to the crew for making something out of this team. At the beginning of the season, people thought this was the year we would finally feel the transition stages. From the injuries we've endured and losing Lidstrom, Rafi, and Stuart on the backend.. wow... can't even complain about this team.

Very well said!

I think Management deserves some credit as well, even though several of our offseason acquisitions have been injured. If we didn't have them and those injuries happened to some of the rookies or even worse some of our stars we'd have next to nothing in Grand Rapids left to call up.

Seasons like this are a great example of why you can never have too much depth. I'd rather have the problem of a cluttered roster and being forced to potentially waive someone than I would a situation where we have injuries and there isn't anyone in our system capable of filling in.

I'm not surprised at all, and we've still managed to succeed as a team this season and make a push for the playoffs. Pretty huge plus imo.. we might even get a few guys back fresh for the playoffs, an advantage a lot of teams won't have.

Agreed.

I kinda wonder if we're better injured, though.

You have to take into account the players lost to injury. Helm is an impact player, but Ottawa have lost their top forward and defenseman.

And their #1 Goalie, Anderson has been out for a while now.

If you told me we'd be 5th with a healthy team I would have been ecstatic. To do this with all our injuries is definately an over-achievement IMO. OK it helps that Pav and Hank and James T Howard have been on fire, but Lashoff, Tatar and Andersson have all come in and exceeded expectations. Kindl and Ericsson have taken quantum leaps forward.

We're not quite in a post-2002 Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Kronwall coming through type situation yet, but like those guys, sometimes all you need is an opportunity

In a sense the injuries may be why the boys are doing so good. The youth kept the Wings going full steam and the unknown for other teams, the can't make a game plan or line up match against what they don't know.

Agreed.

I kinda wonder if we're better injured, though.

I think that as well. Besides Helm, there's nobody injured right now that I am itching to have back. Bertuzzi would be OK for size and creating space, but he's still very streaky and ideally shouldn't be playing with Pavel Datsyuk.

Quincey will be nice to push White out of the lineup again. Samuelsson and Colaiacovo I never wanted for starters and don't care if either comes back.