• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Johnz96

Iginla Traded to Pittsburgh

Rate this topic

Shero is just doing what Holland and the Wings did for a long-time prior to 2005, cashing in their prospects and picks for heavy hitters and solid depth players. The difference is that now we have a salary cap, which just went down. Its clear that Pittsburgh is going for broke on a cup this season while their team is rolling in the shortened season. As others have said, they still haven't addressed their biggest concern, which is defense and goaltending.

From the moves they have made, you'd think they lost in the first round to the Flyers last playoffs averaging something like 1.5 GF-2.3 GA, not the 4.3 GF-5.0 GA (seriously, two 8 GA games and one 10 GF game and they think they were lacking fire power?)

They know full well that they can't resign everyone, they are just playing NHL '13 and shooting for a cup when the opportunity presents itself. Not a bad thing, if you actually win the cup and didn't mortgage your future for 2 months of "OMG look at their roster!". Here's hoping they don't win. Let's not forget what the 1999 and 2003 Wings looked like...

3 captains on one team, that may screw with chemistry a bit.

I disagree, Crosby has the entire pulse and respect of these players, it's his team and iginla and morrow understand that.

Edited by Carman

I'm sorry but what?? Brad Stuart was the last decent trade we made, before that I don't even know, probably bertuzzi. Holland never really made a lot of trades, and I feel like everyone is using this year as an excuse to bash Kenny despite everything he has done for us. Shame on you for even thinking that, Kenny is doing as good as anyone else could. Where is this proof that players don't wanna come here? We lost out on the olson twins because of family reasons. Also it usually isn't up to the player to decide where he wants to go, the gm decides which deal he likes best, teams don't want to give us that piece that makes us the best in the league again

I am not afraid to call out a GM for sitting on his hands. Holland has done a lot for the Wings there is no doubt but he has not done much lately. We have a log jam of mediocre players that he refuses to get rid of. If Brad Stuart was the last trade you can remember then maybe that is a problem. Other teams are getting better we are standing pat. Make a list of the players that have left in the last 5 years then make a list of the ones that have came. you will see his track record.

I am not afraid to call out a GM for sitting on his hands. Holland has done a lot for the Wings there is no doubt but he has not done much lately. We have a log jam of mediocre players that he refuses to get rid of. If Brad Stuart was the last trade you can remember then maybe that is a problem. Other teams are getting better we are standing pat. Make a list of the players that have left in the last 5 years then make a list of the ones that have came. you will see his track record.

I would rather stand pat and build through the draft than make a run at a cup while mortgaging our future. In the past, without the salary cap, you could get away with losing draft picks. Today, you cannot do that.

They know full well that they can't resign everyone, they are just playing NHL '13 and shooting for a cup when the opportunity presents itself. Not a bad thing, if you actually win the cup and didn't mortgage your future for 2 months of "OMG look at their roster!". Here's hoping they don't win. Let's not forget what the 1999 and 2003 Wings looked like...

That's what I keep telling Pens fans who are already planning the parade. It just takes ONE hot goalie and you're screwed. We had a much better team than the Avs in '99, we ran into Roy and lost. We had a much better team than Anaheim in 03, but Gigure was a wall, we lost. If the playoffs started today, they would be playing Lundqvist. The 7th seeded team is NJ with Brodeur. Those guys are more than capable of stealing a series.

Good move for the Pens, not such a good move for us. I'm glad, glad I tell you, that we didn't score Iginla. I can't stand that SOB, and the price was too damn high to get him anyway.

I think people are so frustrated with the lack of splashy moves on the part of Holland that each time some serviceable player goes elsewhere, it just makes them foam at the mouth that much more.

Iginla is not a big loss to us - helpful, probably, but not a big loss. The reason it's a bad move for us is because we will be facing a pretty well-stacked team consistently starting next year. While I agree that the Wings have been impressive all things considered, no one can deny that we need to improve in some areas, and PDQ.

I would rather stand pat and build through the draft than make a run at a cup while mortgaging our future. In the past, without the salary cap, you could get away with losing draft picks. Today, you cannot do that.

This. Wings used to do it all the time before the salary cap. All they've done is add fire-power without addressing their defense and goaltending issues. There has to be something said about the immense pressure they've added, too. These are the years where if your team wins the Cup, then they've done what was expected of you, nothing impressive. But if they don't win, they just go into the heap with the rest, with nothing to show for it but 2-3 months of flashy names. They have moved their team from "could win" to "should win" to "must win". The next few years of cap crunch won't be pretty...

Is it my uderstanding that Iginla nixed the deal to Boston? If so, he's definitely not going to be welcome there any time soon. Needless to say, Boston fans are a little upset. And I can't say I blame them. I mean, you go to bed thinking you've got this deal done and when you wake up the next morning you find out you don't have it. Kinda sorta sucks, you know? But on the other hand, they kinda dodged a bullet, because they would have been getting probably nothing but a rental. So maybe there is a silver lining to this cloud.

I'm just glad we didn't fall for this BS.

Edited by Kira

Good move for the Pens, not such a good move for us. I'm glad, glad I tell you, that we didn't score Iginla. I can't stand that SOB, and the price was too damn high to get him anyway.

I think people are so frustrated with the lack of splashy moves on the part of Holland that each time some serviceable player goes elsewhere, it just makes them foam at the mouth that much more.

Iginla is not a big loss to us - helpful, probably, but not a big loss. The reason it's a bad move for us is because we will be facing a pretty well-stacked team consistently starting next year. While I agree that the Wings have been impressive all things considered, no one can deny that we need to improve in some areas, and PDQ.

I would be very surprised if the Pens retain any of the 3 they traded for actually. They've only got about $10.6m to spend next season with only 8 forwards, 6 d-men, & 2 goalies on the roster and have to face re-signing Malkin, Orpik, & Letang the season after. All of these moves are about this season & this season only.

I would be very surprised if the Pens retain any of the 3 they traded for actually. They've only got about $10.6m to spend next season with only 8 forwards, 6 d-men, & 2 goalies on the roster and have to face re-signing Malkin, Orpik, & Letang the season after. All of these moves are about this season & this season only.

Good point. I would have to say they're rentals and that's about all. If the Pens win the cup I could see Iggy resigning with the Flames

If they lost a shootout series to Philadelphia last year, they're gonna lose again. They have NOT improved their defense and vokoun is playing like he's been stuck behind some s***ty defenses the last 5-6 years. aka Shaken, not stirred.

Let's not forget Chicago and The Core thread: They overloaded and went for it and won the cup, then had a bad hangover year, etc, etc...and look at the core now. Holy Crap. And look at our core now...D and Z are looking a little lonely...

Possession in 9/10 of the law: it's easier to figure out how to resign players to fit them in once they've already been skating with the team and living in the city, than it is when they still do not know what to expect. Bring 'em in, be awesome together, then figure out how to keep the main parts.

Calling it now, Pittsburgh gets beat in the first round of the playoffs after their swiss cheese defense gets totally exposed.

I like this; but I sure as hell aint putting my money on it.

Good point. I would have to say they're rentals and that's about all. If the Pens win the cup I could see Iggy resigning with the Flames

With Crosby and Malkin, playing in Pittsburgh is going to be like semi retirement for Iginla: He'll have a helluva lot less responsibility and a lot more success in every aspect. The weight of the world is off his shoulders. After all the money he's made over the years, I wouldn't be suprised if he finds the comfort worth playing for less money for the next few years.

Iginla really wasn't all that expensive. I'm just going to take this as a sign that Holland ought to be able to go out and get Gaborik now, without losing any pieces that we can't really live without.

Just a question, but if we land Gaborik and Yandle did we make out better this year than Pittsburgh has? Because I'm calling that too...Gaborik AND Yandle.

Actually the only way I see iggy re-signing is if the pens lose in the finals. He is just going to the pens to win a cup. Once he has that he will probably retire with the flames. The only reason he was not that expensive is because it's understood he will go back to the flames.

Edited by MTU_Huskies963

Iginla really wasn't all that expensive. I'm just going to take this as a sign that Holland ought to be able to go out and get Gaborik now, without losing any pieces that we can't really live without.

Just a question, but if we land Gaborik and Yandle did we make out better this year than Pittsburgh has? Because I'm calling that too...Gaborik AND Yandle.

I'd love to have both of them but I don't see Detroit getting either one. Nor do I see Holland doing much of anything to be honest.

Calling it now, Pittsburgh gets beat in the first round of the playoffs after their swiss cheese defense gets totally exposed.

This is what I was thinking. With all these trades and the expectation that has come with it, they are ripe for a first round upset.

Damn, I was stoked Iginla was going to Boston. I thought they were the only team that could hang with the Penguins in the East during the playoffs, but now...

Crosby, Malkin, Iginla, Neal, Kunitz all in the top-six on one roster. That's not even fair. We just gotta hope they can't keep the puck out of their own net again.

Guest Johnz96

Damn, I was stoked Iginla was going to Boston. I thought they were the only team that could hang with the Penguins in the East during the playoffs, but now...

Crosby, Malkin, Iginla, Neal, Kunitz all in the top-six on one roster. That's not even fair. We just gotta hope they can't keep the puck out of their own net again.

Or that Crosby and Malkin are too busy having hissy fits to focus on winning games but unfortunately with Iginla there, I think that is less likely now

They have to pay Malkin a crap load of money after this season as well.

And Letang.

And Dupuis.

And Murray.

A little late, I kno. But it'd be awesome if dupuis hit free agency.. He's the only one I've liked on Pitt and I know it's really unlikely but I'd really like to see that dood in red and white.