• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Johnz96

Iginla Traded to Pittsburgh

Rate this topic

The cap is an excuse. We did fine under the cap up until the last two years. 2010 was derailed by injuries, but was still a good team. Everything after that was just complacency.

No, the cap is a reality. As was Lidstom, Rafalski, Draper, Maltby and Holmstrom growing old and retiring. As was Stuart wanting to move back west to be with his family. Nothing Kenny could have done about that - and don't give me the old "he should have done more to prepare for their retirements" BS. Players with 3 and 4 Stanley Cup rings don't grow on trees, and to lose 5 of them in just a couple of years, plus other FA losses and still be competetive? How many other teams do you seriously think could survive having their hearts ripped out like that?

Right now the Pens are 11th in the league in GA/G, just ahead of Columbus. I'm not sure how getting Iginla helps their defense which is clearly their biggest weakness.

The 2003 Red Wings were better than then 2013 Penguins, and I don't have to mention what happened that year in the playoffs. Penguins are the favorite now, but the Stanley Cup isn't won on paper.

Don't forget the 1997 Wings. The Pens were favored last year to and they didn't make it out of the first round.

The Penguins GA/G is 2.47, tied for 9th in the league, which is just behind Detroit and Montreal at 2.46 GA/G. While I don't think there's any question that goaltending and defense has been Pittsburgh's biggest weakness, I think the popular thing to do is put too much stock in the Philadelphia series from last year.

Guest Johnz96

Damn, I was stoked Iginla was going to Boston. I thought they were the only team that could hang with the Penguins in the East during the playoffs, but now...

Crosby, Malkin, Iginla, Neal, Kunitz all in the top-six on one roster. That's not even fair. We just gotta hope they can't keep the puck out of their own net again.

I was looking forward to cheering the Bruins on in the east when I heard he was going there.

Good move for the Pens, not such a good move for us. I'm glad, glad I tell you, that we didn't score Iginla. I can't stand that SOB, and the price was too damn high to get him anyway.

I think people are so frustrated with the lack of splashy moves on the part of Holland that each time some serviceable player goes elsewhere, it just makes them foam at the mouth that much more.

Iginla is not a big loss to us - helpful, probably, but not a big loss. The reason it's a bad move for us is because we will be facing a pretty well-stacked team consistently starting next year. While I agree that the Wings have been impressive all things considered, no one can deny that we need to improve in some areas, and PDQ.

I'd be happy with just getting Dekeyser, but a part of me really wants Gaborik. It would bring back a sort of feeling I had watching guys like Fedorov and Hossa flying high in the Winged Wheel. Those guys with breakaway speed like Kane and Wheeler on the Jets are exciting as hell to watch game in game out.

Message to Ray Shero, good job at the deadline....enjoy crunching the numbers all summer trying to re-sign guys when the cap goes down 8 mil. :devil:

I would rather stand pat and build through the draft than make a run at a cup while mortgaging our future. In the past, without the salary cap, you could get away with losing draft picks. Today, you cannot do that.

That is true but do you really think the Pens lost that much? Sitting on a whole bunch of cap space while signing players that nobody else wants is not a good building idea in my mind. Ken Holland has been looking for a scoring winger since Hossa left and a top 4 d-man. He really needs to get on with it. Signing Fil for 5m will be what we get, count on it.

The Penguins GA/G is 2.47, tied for 9th in the league, which is just behind Detroit and Montreal at 2.46 GA/G. While I don't think there's any question that goaltending and defense has been Pittsburgh's biggest weakness, I think the popular thing to do is put too much stock in the Philadelphia series from last year.

This season has been a bit strange for most teams, due to the lack of training camp, the variety of players that did or didn't play elsewhere, and the compressed schedule. Some teams have ridden hot streaks that would have been much less impactful if there were both more games overall and less games in such a short amount of time (since I like numbers, a two-week hot streak went from being about 5-6 games in 82 to being 7-9 games in 48).

I think teams will likely show their true colors more when the competition ramps up leading up to and into the playoffs. Pittsburgh is an offensive juggernaut. Their defense and goaltending have proven not to handle pressure the best recently.

I just wanna know what happened to parity?

Also this: I've heard many times that teams won't deal with Detroit because they are sick of them winning. Should this not apply to the Pens?

Also: any of you ever play Settlers of Catan? Feaster basically just gave longest road to the dude sitting at 8pts. He should have his ballz cut off with a rusty butter knife. I hope he loses his job over this.

/rant

Peter Chillari (?) comments right now are very interesting.

Says that they had agreed to deal yesterday around noon, had scratched all appropriate players and called up who they needed to. Everything looked good until Feamster called him just before midnight to tell him jarome had chosen pitt over boston so the deal was off.

Check the bruins twitter for all the quotes, but thats basically it in a nutshell.

it's not just the philly series, fleury's play in the playoffs has regressed big time since 07-08

Peter Chillari (?) comments right now are very interesting.

Says that they had agreed to deal yesterday around noon, had scratched all appropriate players and called up who they needed to. Everything looked good until Feamster called him just before midnight to tell him jarome had chosen pitt over boston so the deal was off.

Check the bruins twitter for all the quotes, but thats basically it in a nutshell.

Wow, total bush league. Burned that bridge to the ground!

Too bad Phillys too far out to sneak in at 8th, wouldn't that be something. As much as I love Iggy, I wish him nothing but the worst as a member of the Penguins. If the Cup Final this year is Chicago-Pittsburgh, I'm quitting this hockey thing and becoming a full time Lions fan :ninja:

Didn't Ray Shero come from the Preds?

I'd be happy with just getting Dekeyser, but a part of me really wants Gaborik. It would bring back a sort of feeling I had watching guys like Fedorov and Hossa flying high in the Winged Wheel. Those guys with breakaway speed like Kane and Wheeler on the Jets are exciting as hell to watch game in game out.

Message to Ray Shero, good job at the deadline....enjoy crunching the numbers all summer trying to re-sign guys when the cap goes down 8 mil. :devil:

Remember they must insure these players contracts.

Too bad Phillys too far out to sneak in at 8th, wouldn't that be something. As much as I love Iggy, I wish him nothing but the worst as a member of the Penguins. If the Cup Final this year is Chicago-Pittsburgh, I'm quitting this hockey thing and becoming a full time Lions fan :ninja:

That's a no win for Wings fans, but Bettman:

tumblr_ltjgyl7Wea1qgljzg.gif

(Sorry if inappropriate :P)