• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unsaddleddonald

Ray Shero making the NHL his *****

Rate this topic

In the last week or so, there have been really only 3 higher end trades made and all of them include Pittsburgh.

If there was one team that DIDN'T need to make a move, it was probably Pittsburgh.

He has added one big defenseman and two long time captains and what has he given up? One top prospect (none of their top 5 prospects) and crap picks. NO roster players given up.

Ray Shero is the best GM in hockey. Granted Sidney Crosby fell into his lap and if the 04-05 lockout didn't happen Crosby most likely would have been drafted somewhere else, but that is a different argument.

He got 3 players: Iginla, Morrow, and Murray

What did he give up?

3 prospects (including one of their highest defensive prospects)

1 first round draft pick in one of the deepest classes we've seen of recent

2 second round draft picks in one of the deepest classes we've seen of recent

1 fifth round draft pick

I'm sorry but the only real big move I like was Iginla. It's nice and never a bad thing to add in two captains and a big defensemen but man did he give up some future.

He got 3 players: Iginla, Morrow, and Murray

What did he give up?

3 prospects (including one of their highest defensive prospects)

1 first round draft pick in one of the deepest classes we've seen of recent

2 second round draft picks in one of the deepest classes we've seen of recent

1 fifth round draft pick

I'm sorry but the only real big move I like was Iginla. It's nice and never a bad thing to add in two captains and a big defensemen but man did he give up some future.

Some future yes, but this is a pretty young team as it is.

The kicker, for me, is the roster players. Receiving two captains and not having to give up a Kunitz/Kennedy/Dupuis/Sutter? Seems like Dallas and Calgary couldn't wait to get rid of them.

Go root for the Pens then

I'm just saying Shero is being aggressive.

In the last week or so, there have been really only 3 higher end trades made and all of them include Pittsburgh.

If there was one team that DIDN'T need to make a move, it was probably Pittsburgh.

He has added one big defenseman and two long time captains and what has he given up? One top prospect (none of their top 5 prospects) and crap picks. NO roster players given up.

Ray Shero is the best GM in hockey. Granted Sidney Crosby fell into his lap and if the 04-05 lockout didn't happen Crosby most likely would have been drafted somewhere else, but that is a different argument.

If a couple of 34/35 year old role players and a goalie prospect are 'high end' trades, you must be watching a different league than the rest of us.

His team is on, like a 13 game win streak, and he has added 3 veteran players. He may have given up a few picks, but by the time they hit the NHL roster, the young stars they have now will be 30 and reminiscing about the great playoff run of 2013 fondly.

I root for the Wings. But I do admire what he's doing in Pittsburgh. I like aggressive GM's. Sometimes they make mistakes but they are trying. To me it's better than sitting by watching and maybe pulling the trigger at the last minute and paying top dollar.

Watch out; giving props to any team or GM other than The Red Wings or Ken "I wish Bowman was still here" Holland is strictly forbidden in Red Wings nation...

No kidding. I'm not comparing Ray Shero to our GM, just mentioning that he is improving a team that didn't need improving.

If the Pens win the cup this season, he did well. However, if they fail to win the cup this season, I don't see how these deals can be considered a success.

Looking at the Pens cap numbers, they aren't in a great position to re-sign all of the current UFA's for next season. http://www.capgeek.com/penguins/cap-calculator/

Completely agree.

I was more talking about the here and now. The moves look GREAT....if they win the Cup.

Their problem against Philly last year was that they couldn't stop the Flyers from scoring. Their additions since then haven't really solve that problem.

Edited by unsaddleddonald

Neal - Crosby - Iginla

Morrow - Malkin - Kunitz

Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis

Glass - Kennedy - Adams

Letang - Orpik

Niskanen - Martin

Despres - Murray

Even if we make the finals against PIT, we can't compete with that.... although u never know these days

Shero saw what was available and went for it. He's a GM who actually has a sack and isn't afraid to make some moves to improve the roster. The Pens still have Beau Bennett and most of their better prospects on defense.

The Pens got tougher to play against across the board. Murray's a big, physical, shot-blocking defensive defenseman. Pair him with Orpik and they can shut people down. Morrow and Iginla are both power forwards who are not afraid to throw the body around.

This team got a lot better. Three real good players left teams in the West we might have to beat to get into the playoffs. I like these moves for both us and them.

Crucify me for saying this if you wish. Call me crazy and a traitor. But if Kenny retired today...give Shero a blank check and the key to the city.

Edited by DetroitRedWings1993

Shero saw what was available and went for it. The Pens got touger to play against across the board. Murray's a big, physical, shot-blocking defensive defenseman. Pair him with Orpik and they can shut people down. Morrow and Iginla are both power forwards who are not afraid to throw the body around.

This team got a lot better. Three real good players left teams in the West we might have to beat to get into the playoffs. I like these moves for both us and them.

For this year, considering we are still in the West.

Crucify me for saying this if you wish. Call me crazy and a traitor. But if Kenny retired today...give Shero a blank check and the key to the city.

Don't forget the 5 consecutive top-5 picks - makes it a little easier to build a contender, y'know ;)

That's not to say he hasn't made some good moves if you have a "win now, forget tomorrow" mentality. Especially if that tomorrow includes being unable to afford Malkin and Crosby getting another concussion.

There is really nothing Kenny Holland can do at this point. I'm sorry guys but Detroit is not that "sexy" team it once was. Players are not really "dying" to come here anymore. Lidstrom retired, our key players aren't really that young and we aren't serious cup contenders this year. Iginla basically chose to go to Pittsburgh, that's what people aren't really understanding, he had a short list of teams. Just like the Parise and Suter situation, you're a fool if you think that was Holland's fault. Shero yes is a great GM but lets see where he is next year when the cap has screwed him and multiple players may leave elsewhere. If the Pens don't win it this year he won't look like the "genius" everyone thinks he is.

Edited by SimonSin

People are overrating the impact of Morrow and Murray imo. Both of them are having terrible seasons. Iginla is more of an impact player, but maybe not as much as he was a couple of years ago.

They're basically going all-in this season and if it works everyone will say Shero's a genius, if it doesn't they've given up a lot of future for nothing.

Pittsburgh's been one of the favorites for a few years and haven't done much in the playoffs. Their defense and goaltending are still issues. In a 7 game series agains Montreal/Boston anythng can happen.

That said, considering the relatively low price for Iginla, I would have taken him. Not like Holland can put a gun to Iggy's head and tell him to put Detroit on his list though.

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2013/03/28/5-reasons-the-iginla-morrow-and-murray-trades-could-be-a-bad-thing-for-this-years-penguins/

Highlighting the reasons:

They got older

They got slower

There’s not enough puck to go around

Too many (leaders) and not enough (people doing the grunt work)

Too much pressure

And yes, the pens just got ******* loaded. They better win a cup or it's all down the drain as I highly doubt they will be able to afford all of these UFA/RFA's this off-season.

Neal - Crosby - Iginla

Morrow - Malkin - Kunitz

Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis

Glass - Kennedy - Adams

Letang - Orpik

Niskanen - Martin

Despres - Murray

Even if we make the finals against PIT, we can't compete with that.... although u never know these days

This is what GMs are supposed to be thinking about. On paper, we're no match for that lineup. Thankfully, weird things always happen in the second season. Still, a GM should not count on it and sit on his ass while others assemble teams like that.

No matter how you spin it, the Pens and their Management decided to make a push. All you people saying that Morrow & Murray are not that good are full of crap. Are they Superstars? No. Are they good character/depth guys? Yes. Will they make your team tougher to play against in a 7 game series? You bet your ass.

Iginla has all those abilities and more... I'm tired of everyone talking about how we don't need guys like that.

Pavel & Hank are players worthy of having Kenny go out and pick up some players to make a run.

Shero had the guts to make some moves on a team that is playing amazing hockey. Even though Jerome wanted to play there, Shero still had to put the deal together. Apparently if he wanted to play here, Kenny wouldn't need to make the move.

Delusional.

Guest Johnz96

People are overrating the impact of Morrow and Murray imo. Both of them are having terrible seasons. Iginla is more of an impact player, but maybe not as much as he was a couple of years ago.

They're basically going all-in this season and if it works everyone will say Shero's a genius, if it doesn't they've given up a lot of future for nothing.

Pittsburgh's been one of the favorites for a few years and haven't done much in the playoffs. Their defense and goaltending are still issues. In a 7 game series agains Montreal/Boston anythng can happen.

That said, considering the relatively low price for Iginla, I would have taken him. Not like Holland can put a gun to Iggy's head and tell him to put Detroit on his list though.

He could have asked the Flames to talk to him and offered more. I would have.

I don't understand all the fartin around signing redundant and disposable players and not going after difference makers and filling needs.

Our biggest need is a power forward who can contribute on the top 2 lines. We get pushed around and to the perimeter especially in the playoffs.

They are in major danger going forward with the cap, they have very little depth to call up in case of injuries, and they still haven't improved defensively which is what got them ousted last year.

Being aggressive like Shero and Holmgren is only good if you win, if Pittsburgh doesn't then all these deals will end up looking foolish.

He's made his team the favorite, but he really didn't need to, his team already was the favorite in many peoples eyes. Now the weight of expectations are on them and nothing but a cup would be acceptable.