Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

Neal - Crosby - Iginla
Morrow - Malkin - Kunitz
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Glass - Kennedy - Adams

Letang - Orpik
Niskanen - Martin
Despres - Murray

Even if we make the finals against PIT, we can't compete with that.... although u never know these days

This is what GMs are supposed to be thinking about. On paper, we're no match for that lineup. Thankfully, weird things always happen in the second season. Still, a GM should not count on it and sit on his ass while others assemble teams like that.

#22 scotzman

scotzman

Ramblin' Scotzman

• PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

No matter how you spin it, the Pens and their Management decided to make a push. All you people saying that Morrow & Murray are not that good are full of crap. Are they Superstars? No. Are they good character/depth guys? Yes. Will they make your team tougher to play against in a 7 game series? You bet your ass.

Iginla has all those abilities and more... I'm tired of everyone talking about how we don't need guys like that.

Pavel & Hank are players worthy of having Kenny go out and pick up some players to make a run.

Shero had the guts to make some moves on a team that is playing amazing hockey. Even though Jerome wanted to play there, Shero still had to put the deal together. Apparently if he wanted to play here, Kenny wouldn't need to make the move.

Delusional.

Red Wing Fan since 1976

#23 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

A lot of people said that about Chicago too after their Cup Fire Sale, and they are still hanging around OK. (surprisingly). I have a feeling the Pens will survive just fine. (Unfortunately).

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#24 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

People are overrating the impact of Morrow and Murray imo. Both of them are having terrible seasons. Iginla is more of an impact player, but maybe not as much as he was a couple of years ago.

They're basically going all-in this season and if it works everyone will say Shero's a genius, if it doesn't they've given up a lot of future for nothing.

Pittsburgh's been one of the favorites for a few years and haven't done much in the playoffs. Their defense and goaltending are still issues. In a 7 game series agains Montreal/Boston anythng can happen.

That said, considering the relatively low price for Iginla, I would have taken him. Not like Holland can put a gun to Iggy's head and tell him to put Detroit on his list though.

He could have asked the Flames to talk to him and offered more. I would have.
I don't understand all the fartin around signing redundant and disposable players and not going after difference makers and filling needs.
Our biggest need is a power forward who can contribute on the top 2 lines. We get pushed around and to the perimeter especially in the playoffs.

#25 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

They are in major danger going forward with the cap, they have very little depth to call up in case of injuries, and they still haven't improved defensively which is what got them ousted last year.

Being aggressive like Shero and Holmgren is only good if you win, if Pittsburgh doesn't then all these deals will end up looking foolish.

He's made his team the favorite, but he really didn't need to, his team already was the favorite in many peoples eyes. Now the weight of expectations are on them and nothing but a cup would be acceptable.

#26 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

A lot of people said that about Chicago too after their Cup Fire Sale, and they are still hanging around OK. (surprisingly). I have a feeling the Pens will survive just fine. (Unfortunately).

Great point. We saw the same exact talk and dismissal of the hawks when they played big in the GM game, and they're still on top while the wings are mediocre. Delusion.

They are in major danger going forward with the cap, they have very little depth to call up in case of injuries, and they still haven't improved defensively which is what got them ousted last year.

Being aggressive like Shero and Holmgren is only good if you win, if Pittsburgh doesn't then all these deals will end up looking foolish.

He's made his team the favorite, but he really didn't need to, his team already was the favorite in many peoples eyes. Now the weight of expectations are on them and nothing but a cup would be acceptable.

It would bring me great joy to see them flop in the first round LOL

#27 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

They can make it work. They need to sign a few scrubs (2 fwds, 1 dman) in this scenario and they amnesty Vokoun:

Pitt can address its D for the future with the outstanding D prospects they have, and bringing rookies in will help them stay under the cap for the near future. 

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Jarome Iginla ($6.000m) 
James Neal ($5.000m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / Pascal Dupuis ($1.500m) 
Beau Bennett ($0.900m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Anthony Stewart ($0.900m) 

Matt Cooke ($1.500m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Tanner Glass ($1.100m) 
DEFENSEMEN
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Brooks Orpik ($3.750m) 
Kris Letang ($3.500m) / Matt Niskanen ($2.300m) 
Simon Despres ($0.840m) / Deryk Engelland ($0.567m) 
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m) 
Joey MacDonald ($0.550m) 
OTHER
Buyout: Tomas Vokoun ($0.000m) 
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,148,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $2,151,667

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#28 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

Great point. We saw the same exact talk and dismissal of the hawks when they played big in the GM game, and they're still on top while the wings are mediocre. Delusion.

still on top?

the hawks haven't won a playoff series since their cup run

#29 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

They can make it work. They need to sign a few scrubs (2 fwds, 1 dman) in this scenario and they amnesty Vokoun:

Pitt can address its D for the future with the outstanding D prospects they have, and bringing rookies in will help them stay under the cap for the near future. 

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Jarome Iginla ($6.000m) 
James Neal ($5.000m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / Pascal Dupuis ($1.500m) 
Beau Bennett ($0.900m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Anthony Stewart ($0.900m) 

Matt Cooke ($1.500m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Tanner Glass ($1.100m) 
DEFENSEMEN
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Brooks Orpik ($3.750m) 
Kris Letang ($3.500m) / Matt Niskanen ($2.300m) 
Simon Despres ($0.840m) / Deryk Engelland ($0.567m) 
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m) 
Joey MacDonald ($0.550m) 
OTHER
Buyout: Tomas Vokoun ($0.000m) 
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,148,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $2,151,667

Then what do they do the year after when Malkin, Kunitz, Letang and Orpik all need to be re-signed?

#30 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

No matter how you spin it, the Pens and their Management decided to make a push. All you people saying that Morrow & Murray are not that good are full of crap. Are they Superstars? No. Are they good character/depth guys? Yes. Will they make your team tougher to play against in a 7 game series? You bet your ass.

Iginla has all those abilities and more... I'm tired of everyone talking about how we don't need guys like that.

Pavel & Hank are players worthy of having Kenny go out and pick up some players to make a run.

Shero had the guts to make some moves on a team that is playing amazing hockey. Even though Jerome wanted to play there, Shero still had to put the deal together. Apparently if he wanted to play here, Kenny wouldn't need to make the move.

Delusional.

i like the morrow and iginla trades but murray is god awful and does nothing to improve their defense. the dude is slow as molasses. think of him as a slower version of brad stuart in his last year here. yea not good

#31 scotzman

scotzman

Ramblin' Scotzman

• PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

Yeah, the Hawks are a horrible team...  :eh:

Red Wing Fan since 1976

#32 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

Then what do they do the year after when Malkin, Kunitz, Letang and Orpik all need to be re-signed?

Malkin won't ask for a raise.

#33 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

The difference is Chicago did not build that team through trades the season they won the cup. The Pens will be fine next season, and likely the season after that, but they have moved significant future value for a chance to win this year.

#34 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

Shero may have improved his team by adding a big defenseman, but he have yet to address their biggest problem (come playoff time) - goaltending... I doubt he has any resources left to accomplish this task, however....

#35 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

still on top?

the hawks haven't won a playoff series since their cup run

Yeah, the Hawks are a horrible team...  :eh:

Thank you, Scotzman. I figured they must be good since they broke that little record thingy. 

#36 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

He's russian, he's greedy and yes, he won't ask for a raise, he will demand it. ;)

#37 scotzman

scotzman

Ramblin' Scotzman

• PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

The thing I find it hard to understand is who the Red Wings really have in their system that is so precious... they have one of the best players in the world on their team RIGHT NOW. Why are we letting him play on a line with Franzen, Cleary/Abdelkader?

Holland needs to make some bold moves to provide the talent to surround his core players, especially Datsyuk & Zetterberg. Iginla would have filled a need that this team desperately needs.

The way I look at it, either you trade for some talent to win now or start rebuilding. Pavel is worth picking up some real talent...

--------------

By the way, found this Tweet from Brett Hull interesting:

Pitt starting to remind me of 2002 Wings #wholebunchofhallofamers!

Edited by scotzman, 28 March 2013 - 12:13 PM.

Red Wing Fan since 1976

#38 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

The question is would he take a paycut?

He'll need to take a fairly significant one for them to sign Kunitz, Orpik and Letang.

There really isn't any way around it...the team as it is can't be kept together past this year, at least not without further sacrificing their future.

#39 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

Give some prospects an opportunity?

Malkin is not going to require a raise

Edited by Johnz96, 28 March 2013 - 12:16 PM.

#40 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

Thank you, Scotzman. I figured they must be good since they broke that little record thingy. 

sure they are back on top now, 3 years after they won the cup. and they still haven't won anything yet

but the point i was making is that all the depth roster players they lost clearly hurt them despite the fact they kept the core intact . they barely got into the playoffs the following year and then were middle of the pack the next year. 0 playoff series victories in that time.

Edited by chances14, 28 March 2013 - 12:18 PM.