84 replies to this topic

#41 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

The question is would he take a paycut?

He'll need to take a fairly significant one for them to sign Kunitz, Orpik and Letang.

There really isn't any way around it...the team as it is can't be kept together past this year, at least not without further sacrificing their future.

He is going to be re-signed for the 8.7 he is making now.

#42 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,990 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

Then what do they do the year after when Malkin, Kunitz, Letang and Orpik all need to be re-signed?

Get Bettman to jack to Cap up to whatever number they need to sign those guys? :ph34r:

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#43 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

His real name is Rejean? Interesting.

His father would be very, very proud of him.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#44 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

Neal - Crosby - Iginla

Morrow - Malkin - Kunitz

Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis

Glass - Kennedy - Adams

Letang - Orpik

Niskanen - Martin

Despres - Murray

Even if we make the finals against PIT, we can't compete with that.... although u never know these days

Achilles hell = Fleury and Vokoun is so-so.  They're good, but I personally still think that in a 7 game series, Boston comes out on top.  Morrow is good, but he's had injuries the past few seasons and is on a rather steep decline.  Iginla is a good pick up and hopefully just a rental.  I think he'll look like s*** in a Pens uni.  Murray is a good, big shutdown guy.  I believe the Pens are improved unfortunately as I swallow the puke i have no where to spit out.  I truly hope for a 1st round exit for both the Pens and Canucks so we can enjoy the playoffs a little more just like last year knowing full well that neither of those garbage organizations will celebrate with the Cup.  Love Iginla, got the t-shirt (about 8 years ago lol), but the Pens are just intolerable and I can no longer cheer for one of my all-time favorite players.  It's the equivalent of Ray Bourque going to the Avs.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#45 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

Yeah the dudes a real wizard...apart from that
toll bridge attendant in net! Pens have no problems scoring so all theyve done is add depth
to an already hi octane offense. Iggy will chip in for sure but Pens have bigger issues than leadership and scoring.

#46 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

If he re-signs for 8.7 then they can't even come close to keeping the rest of their UFA's along with Iginla, Morrow, and Murray.

I've tried a million different capgeek configurations with those guys and there is just no way possible to keep the Pens roster together without using at least 2 of the 3 guys picked up as pure rentals and letting them go after this season. Even then if Iginla is the one you keep you either need him on a 1 year deal or you need him to take a paycut.

The Pens have too many important players with their contracts ending in the next 2 years and only one that will realistically stay at the same salary.

Its Stanley Cup or bust for the Pens

#47 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

Malkin will resign for $8.7?

Those that are saying this DO realize that the market for him will be at least $10, right?

If he resigns with Pittsburgh he will be taking less money if he indeed signs for less than $10. That is a fact.

#48 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

If he re-signs for 8.7 then they can't even come close to keeping the rest of their UFA's along with Iginla, Morrow, and Murray.

I've tried a million different capgeek configurations with those guys and there is just no way possible to keep the Pens roster together without using at least 2 of the 3 guys picked up as pure rentals and letting them go after this season. Even then if Iginla is the one you keep you either need him on a 1 year deal or you need him to take a paycut.

The Pens have too many important players with their contracts ending in the next 2 years and only one that will realistically stay at the same salary.

Its Stanley Cup or bust for the Pens

I don't think anyone expects them to keep all of Iggy morrow, and murray after this year. I think previous posters are talking about the problem of resigning Malkin, Orpik, Letang, and kunitz in 2 years

#49 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:28 PM

Those that are saying this DO realize that the market for him will be at least $10, right?

If he resigns with Pittsburgh he will be taking less money if he indeed signs for less than $10. That is a fact.

i wouldn't be shocked if he just went back to russia after his contract is up

#50 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

Achilles hell = Fleury and Vokoun is so-so.  They're good, but I personally still think that in a 7 game series, Boston comes out on top.  Morrow is good, but he's had injuries the past few seasons and is on a rather steep decline.  Iginla is a good pick up and hopefully just a rental.  I think he'll look like s*** in a Pens uni.  Murray is a good, big shutdown guy.  I believe the Pens are improved unfortunately as I swallow the puke i have no where to spit out.  I truly hope for a 1st round exit for both the Pens and Canucks so we can enjoy the playoffs a little more just like last year knowing full well that neither of those garbage organizations will celebrate with the Cup.  Love Iginla, got the t-shirt (about 8 years ago lol), but the Pens are just intolerable and I can no longer cheer for one of my all-time favorite players.  It's the equivalent of Ray Bourque going to the Avs.

Worse.
I didn't like Lemieux and Roy but Sakic and Forsberg were among my favourite non-Wings

#51 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

In the last week or so, there have been really only 3 higher end trades made and all of them include Pittsburgh.

If there was one team that DIDN'T need to make a move, it was probably Pittsburgh.

He has added one big defenseman and two long time captains and what has he given up? One top prospect (none of their top 5 prospects) and crap picks. NO roster players given up.

Ray Shero is the best GM in hockey. Granted Sidney Crosby fell into his lap and if the 04-05 lockout didn't happen Crosby most likely would have been drafted somewhere else, but that is a different argument.

Uhh, OK. Malkin fell into his lap also. So he started off with Malkin and Crosby to begin with, and also had the 2nd-overall pick in his first draft as Penguins GM. He used that pick to draft Jordan Staal instead of Toews, Backstrom, Giroux, or Kessel.

Whatever the case, anyone who starts off with Malkin and Crosby will be successful. Neither the fact that he made a bunch of trades this season nor the ripoff he pulled on Dallas last season qualify him as the best GM in the league.

#52 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

I am still trying to figure out how Fleury is a weak goalie.  He has won a Stanley Cup before.  Its not like he choked against the Wings in 2009.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#53 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

Neal - Crosby - Iginla

Morrow - Malkin - Kunitz

Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis

Glass - Kennedy - Adams

Letang - Orpik

Niskanen - Martin

Despres - Murray

Even if we make the finals against PIT, we can't compete with that.... although u never know these days

The Wings' 2009 team would have been absolutely unbeatable without injuries. Anything can happen.

A lot of people said that about Chicago too after their Cup Fire Sale, and they are still hanging around OK. (surprisingly). I have a feeling the Pens will survive just fine. (Unfortunately).

They very, very nearly missed the playoffs in 2011.

I am still trying to figure out how Fleury is a weak goalie.  He has won a Stanley Cup before.  Its not like he choked against the Wings in 2009.

I don't remember another goalie ever having as bad a playoff series as he had in 2012.

#54 Jaymister

Jaymister

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

Ya if he goes for top dollar, which I expect he will, Pittsburgh will have to let Iggy walk.  The funny thing about Malkin is he's a much better player when Crosby is out of the lineup.  Hopefully this factor will make him want to play somewhere out of the golden bitchs shadow.   Either way Iggy is probably a rental for them, so we can only hope that Fleury flopes in the playoffs again and they fall short this year.  After this season, there's no way they will be this deep.

The other thing I find interesting is that it would seem Iggy said no to Boston, which kinda screwed that Flames out of what I think was a better deal.  I always admired Iggy for his greatness and his work with the Canadian national team, but his decision pisses me off! I hope him and the Pens get beat up by boston and he regrets the day he made this decision.

Cujo is a top 5 goalie in the league- Scott Lucidi

#55 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

They can make it work. They need to sign a few scrubs (2 fwds, 1 dman) in this scenario and they amnesty Vokoun:

Pitt can address its D for the future with the outstanding D prospects they have, and bringing rookies in will help them stay under the cap for the near future. 

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Jarome Iginla ($6.000m) 
James Neal ($5.000m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / Pascal Dupuis ($1.500m) 
Beau Bennett ($0.900m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Anthony Stewart ($0.900m) 

Matt Cooke ($1.500m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Tanner Glass ($1.100m) 
DEFENSEMEN
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Brooks Orpik ($3.750m) 
Kris Letang ($3.500m) / Matt Niskanen ($2.300m) 
Simon Despres ($0.840m) / Deryk Engelland ($0.567m) 
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m) 
Joey MacDonald ($0.550m) 
OTHER
Buyout: Tomas Vokoun ($0.000m) 
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,148,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $2,151,667

LOL @ the idea that Dupuis will sign for $1.5m next season.

#56 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

He is either unbeatable, or unplayable. He is very inconsistent. He has played pretty well this year though so far.

Edited by Carman, 28 March 2013 - 04:00 PM.

#57 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

Yeah, the Hawks are a horrible team...  :eh:

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you're one of those who said that the Wings' regular season achievements made no difference if they couldn't win in the playoffs. Did you consider the 2005-2006 season a great success?

#58 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:55 PM

He is either unbeatable, and unplayable. He is very inconsistent. He has played pretty well this year though so far.

his regular seasons have been fine. it's in the playoffs that he hasn't done so great.

he actually reminds me a lot of jimmy howard. some nights he can be the best goalie in the league, other nights he would barely qualify as an nhl backup

#59 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

By the way, found this Tweet from Brett Hull interesting:

Pitt starting to remind me of 2002 Wings #wholebunchofhallofamers!

Yep, all two of them, both of whom were on the team before these trades were made. Jarome Iginla MIGHT make it into the HHoF.

his regular seasons have been fine. it's in the playoffs that he hasn't done so great.

he actually reminds me a lot of jimmy howard. some nights he can be the best goalie in the league, other nights he would barely qualify as an nhl backup

When compared to Fleury's performance against the Flyers, Howard's series against the Predators---which wasn't half bad to begin with---made him look like Ken Dryden.

Oh, so you're his agent?

#60 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you're one of those who said that the Wings' regular season achievements made no difference if they couldn't win in the playoffs. Did you consider the 2005-2006 season a great success?

Nope, I don't remember that season to be anything at all for me. So for me, point taken.

Though I don't like talking in futures like this. This Hawks team is better than a lot of Wings teams we have seen in the recent past.

He is either unbeatable, and unplayable. He is very inconsistent. He has played pretty well this year though so far.

This.

I know this has been said about a lot of goalies in the past, but Fleury really fits the bill. He is either a brick wall or a sieve.