• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

Wanted him when he left pit.  Was disappointed when he left the NHL.  Wanted him when he came back.  Wanted him when he chose Dallas.  I still want him in the Winged Wheel sweater.  Of all the gambles we have taken and lost out on, this would be the least upsetting one to me if it didn't work out.  That being said, the only way he could hurt us is if he got injured right after getting him.

#42 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:04 PM

What kills me about many Wings fans and Jagr in general is that had the guy been drafted here instead of Primeau, he'd likely be a hero and celebrated for all of his, umm, "eccentricities" and his hair and whatever else people whine about. He's always had his issues, but he's always been a phenomenal hockey player and has proven that he's still capable of being quite effective out there. And I haven't heard anything too negative about him lately, though I haven't followed him closely. If he was a relatively cheap option, he'd be a great pickup heading in to the playoffs. I highly, highly doubt that it will happen, but to just automatically write off the idea of it because of stuff that mostly happened over ten years ago just seems silly.

Look at the system Jagr came up in too. He watched Mario Lemeiux run Scotty Bowman out of town. He saw a bunch of guys throw tantrums, then some were traded, and the team had to tighten up on D, but they won a Cup, and then they sent Bowman on his way. Things might have been different for Jagr had he come up with the Wings, who had a little bit better character in the locker room and management that was committed to Bowman's management, not to mention, Bowman in general shaping this guy. Jagr might've turned out more like Federov in terms of level of obnoxiousness and less like he did.

But Paul Coffey no doubt would've been traded by Bowman again. No. Effing. Doubt.  :lol:

-Elliot...does not panic.

#43 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:09 PM

red wings should pursue lidstrom 

#44 Wing-in-avs-town

Wing-in-avs-town

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

No doubt Jagr would help the Wings a bunch, but we have pursued him in the past, & he's chosen to go elsewhere. . When he came back to the NHL, there was lots of talk about the Wings being in the mix, and I was pretty disappointed when he went to Philly. He is having a solid season and would greatly add to our scoring punch. If Dallas decided to get rid of their captain, they'll move Jagr too, if the price is right.

The early bird may get the worm, but it's the 2nd mouse that gets the cheese.

#45 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

wonder if a package deal could be made to get Jagr and Erikson??

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#46 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:35 PM

wonder if a package deal could be made to get Jagr and Erikson??

In exchange for? 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#47 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:48 PM

In exchange for? 

Iunno...some dudes  :lol:   i didn't think that far ahead.  Just an off the cuff wish.  

Guess i'd have to start the deal with Flip, just like every other one, but after that I don't know who else Dallas would need.  They could re-sign Flip, Ferraro would probably be good for them, I would no doubt try to pawn off Quincey or White to them and see what other higher end prospect they'd want from us at which time I would throw Pulkkinen's name into the mix.  

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#48 Wing-in-avs-town

Wing-in-avs-town

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:14 PM

In exchange for? 

I'd throw Flip in there, fill in the rest

The early bird may get the worm, but it's the 2nd mouse that gets the cheese.

#49 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:22 AM

I'd throw Flip in there, fill in the rest

Nah. Just my two cents. I'd trade Andersson, McCollum, and a 2nd for Jagr. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#50 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:35 AM

In exchange for? 

Emmerton, Cleary and a 5th of course!  Throw in a conditional 2014 4th rounder if Jagr re-signs with us ;)

If we were to get Jagr, I couldn't see him playing with Dats - there's only 1 puck and they can't both have it.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#51 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:43 AM

No no no and a lot more no!!!

#52 hardcoretom21

hardcoretom21

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:15 AM

For sure, with what the Pens gave away for Iginla, the prices will be ridiculous for aquiring teams this trade deadline
Only breathing is more important than winning

"For most of a decade, the Wings were the most popular team not just because they won, but also because they won with flair, with speedy Russians and legendary leaders and the occasional willing fighter"

#53 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:24 AM

For sure, with what the Pens gave away for Iginla, the prices will be ridiculous for aquiring teams this trade deadline

The Pens gave up practically nothing to get Iginla.  They gave up more to get Brendan Morrow.  

I'd like to see Jagr in Detroit, but he raved about how much he loved Philly and they had a good team and he left for Dallas.  If we traded for him, he would be a 2 month rental, so we would need to give up like a 5th round pick and a low end prospect to make it worth our while.

#54 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

5th round doesn't sound too bad to me
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#55 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:04 AM

Yeah, Jagr would not be long term, no matter what he says. That's got to lower Dallas' asking price.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.