• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
b.shanafan14

Dreger: Wings 'very interested' in Bouwmeester *merged*

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

Boris Valabik couldn't skate like Bouwmeester, nor did he have the skill or intelligence.

Then reach isn't such a big factor, is it?

Cap is $64.

We sit at 47,221,212 for next years signed players.

Almost $18 million in cap space so it's not as grim as you might think.

10 Forwards signed: Dats, Z, Mule, Sammy, Helm, Bert, Tootoo, Abs, Eaves

6 Defensemen signed: Kronner, Q, Ericsson, Cola, DeKeyser, and Lashoff

1 Goaltender: Monster

UFAs: Howard, Flip, Brunner, Miller, White, Cleary

RFAs: Andersson, Gus, Kindl, Smith

Play GM and tell me how you spend that money?? How JBouw works or doesn't?

You forget that Bouwmeester will also cost assets. If he came free, then I'd say sure, why not.

So according to capgeek, we would have about 17.9 to work with.

Assuming Cleary, Miller, and White are let go, and Jay-Bo is traded for his 6.8 million (assuming we don't lose any roster players in the deal), you could still have cap space remaining to sign everyone. Nyquist and Andersson won't command much, so the only ones you have to worry about are Fil, Howard and Kindl, really. Negotiate well (and even let Fil go if he asks too much) and it puts you with some cap space remaining. Sure this keeps you from making a big splash in free agency, but it all depends on what you are looking for. One in the hand is better than two in the bush.

You can qualify some of these RFAs or offer them a more friendly deal with term ala Lashoff or Kindl's previous deals avoiding the need to pay them the $963,000 that would be the 110% raise for their qualifying offer. Let's say that's Andersson, Gus and Smith. Let's say it's an even $3 million for their combined cap hit.

12 Forwards 7 Defensemen: 1 Goalie - $50 million towards the cap.

Still have $14 million, two buyouts, and trade possibilites of moving salary out to bring salary in.

EDIT: Crym. I'm not saying it's the best idea... and yes, it will cost assets -- you and I both know that it's the price that's paid to bring in a guy like JBouw (or Yandle, for those that would prefer him) ...but those saying that to bring JBouw will cripple the team from having the room for another top-six forward are not correct. It's just like where I stood for bringing in Iginla. It will cost too much in FUTURE ASSETS than cap space.

Edited by e_prime

Bouwmeester lacks enthusiasm, yet he has played in over 600 consecutive games in the NHL? He has flaws, but that particular argument is baseless. Lack of emotion doesn't mean a player has no desire. Again, Bouwmeester has always been a reserved figure on/off the ice.

Edited by GoWings1905

Guest Crymson

Bouwmeester lacks enthusiasm, yet he has played in over 600 consecutive games in the NHL. He has flaws, but that argument is baseless. Lack of emotion doesn't mean a player has no desire. Again, Bouwmeester has always been a reserved figure on/off the ice.

He lacks enthusiasm on the ice, a trait for which people on this forum habitually lambast Franzen. His on-ice level of enthusiasm has absolutely no bearing on how many consecutive games he has played. And no, the argument is not baseless. He plays with neither maximum effort nor maximum heart.

Crym. I'm not saying it's the best idea... and yes, it will cost assets -- you and I both know that it's the price that's paid to bring in a guy like JBouw (or Yandle, for those that would prefer him) ...but those saying that to bring JBouw will cripple the team from having the room for another top-six forward are not correct. It's just like where I stood for bringing in Iginla. It will cost too much in FUTURE ASSETS than cap space.

Yes, assets need to be paid for a player like Bouwmeester. But with the team where it is---rebuilding on the fly via the farm---I do not consider him a worthwhile use of assets.

In conjuction with speed and intelligence? yes.

Speed, yes. Intelligence? He's not that far above average, else he would not have such pedestrian offensive numbers and such a horrible +/-.

Guest Crymson

People often point to Bouwmeester's +/- or goals against and say that +/- doesn't matter and/or that he plays on a crappy team. To this, I say first that with the exception of this season, Bouwmeester's Calgary teams have been simply below average rather than terrible. Calgary missed the playoffs by five points in 2010, three points in 2011, and five points in 2012. He was not playing on horrific teams. Second, there are plenty of defensemen who play on below-average or terrible teams and still manage to pull out a respectable +/- rating. Bouwmeester does not fall into this category.

Whatever the case may be, his lack of offensive production, his average work in the defensive zone, and his lack of physicality all combine to make him not at all a game-changing defenseman. Steady, perhaps, though his stats suggest otherwise.

He lacks enthusiasm on the ice, a trait for which people on this forum habitually lambast Franzen. His on-ice level of enthusiasm has absolutely no bearing on how many consecutive games he has played. And no, the argument is not baseless. He plays with neither maximum effort nor maximum heart.

Yes, assets need to be paid for a player like Bouwmeester. But with the team where it is---rebuilding on the fly via the farm---I do not consider him a worthwhile use of assets.

It is baseless. Your claims of Bouwmeester's supposed lack of heart just stems from your dislike of him. Bouwmeester plays a different style that enables him to attain that consecutive games streak. That doesn't mean he isn't engaged -- it would be tough to hide an effortless player for 25 minutes every game, so he is clearly doing something well to earn that ice time.

Franzen's own coach has called out his wavering intensity. It isn't just some wild assertion by a few people here.

Edited by GoWings1905

at this point to get jbo, I think calgary would DEMAND Dekeyser, so no thanks

Is this even worth mentioning? It's certainly a dealbreaker for almost ANY MOVE... and certainly for any Calgary player.

Guest Crymson

It is baseless. Your claims of Bouwmeester's supposed lack of heart just stems from your dislike of him. Bouwmeester plays a different style that enables him to attain that consecutive games streak. That doesn't mean he isn't engaged -- it would be tough to hide an effortless player for 25 minutes every game, so he is clearly doing something well to earn that ice time.

Franzen's own coach has called out his wavering intensity. It isn't just some wild assertion by a few people here.

Where do you get the idea that I dislike him? My opposition to his acquisition stems purely from the fact that I do not believe he is worth the asking price..

He plays for the Flames I'd be unenthusiastic too!!!! Calgary will have to eat some of that salary for any deal to get done. Assume that they eat 2million he's totally worth it.

Here's the thing though: They can eat some of his salary but that doesn't impact the cap hit even one cent. I'm sure Mr. I's pockets are deep enough that the difference between $6.6m vs. $4.6m in actual salary cost means very little. It's the $6.68m cap hit that's at issue here.

Here's the thing though: They can eat some of his salary but that doesn't impact the cap hit even one cent. I'm sure Mr. I's pockets are deep enough that the difference between $6.6m vs. $4.6m in actual salary cost means very little. It's the $6.68m cap hit that's at issue here.

I just read in hf boards that someone would expect to get Sproul and Sheahan in this deal. They might not be incorrect. The more I think about it the more I don't want JBouw. He would be a decent upgrade, but maybe Dekeyser will be just as large. It's a tough call either way. Good luck Mr. Holland!

According to what I've read, the cap hit is in fact retained along with the salary.

Portions of a players cap hit can be retained in trade. Take a look at Toronto's Cap situation. They traded Matt Lombardi to the Coyotes.at the beginning of the season and retained 1.5 million of his 3.5 million salary, If you check Phoenix's cap situation you'll see they are only paying 2 Million of the salary.

The problem though is that if Calgary keeps a portion of Jbo's salary they are going to want even more back in return.

Guest Crymson

He plays for the Flames I'd be unenthusiastic too!!!! Calgary will have to eat some of that salary for any deal to get done. Assume that they eat 2million he's totally worth it.

If a player doesn't play with enthusiasm with whatever team he's on, I don't want him. These guys are paid millions to do their jobs.

Teams can a player's share cap hit under the new CBA, but only up to 50%.

Edited by Crymson

If a player doesn't play with enthusiasm with whatever team he's on, I don't want him. These guys are paid millions to do their jobs.

Teams can a player's share cap hit under the new CBA, but only up to 50%.

this ^ but I don't know Calgary wants to get rid of him so bad they would eat some of the cap hit, then they are shooting themselves in the foot. Otherwise our deal would have to be too good to refuse, but I don't want that, cause that means we give something up I don't think we can afford to give up.

I just read in hf boards that someone would expect to get Sproul and Sheahan in this deal. They might not be incorrect. The more I think about it the more I don't want JBouw. He would be a decent upgrade, but maybe Dekeyser will be just as large. It's a tough call either way. Good luck Mr. Holland!

f*** that.

That doesn't say anything about Bouwmeester, because he's not a rental

That doesn't say anything about Bouwmeester, because he's not a rental

Could decision buying rentals only makes sense if you are contender, which the Wings aren't but Jay Bouwmeester is not a rental.

Guest mjtm77

For the love of god Jay Bo is not has bad as most of you guys have him out to be. He would thrive on our team, most of you would be suprised. He would be a soild top 4 defensman and would help this team HUGE come playoffs. For me the question is why give up so much youth for another d man. We are already loaded on defense prospects and we just landed DeKeyser. You guys can stop worrying tho because there is no way Holand will add Jay Bo. In his mind It just doesnt make sense for the price. I would differ from that and go ahead and make a trade.

I would like holland to add a scorer like Cammy or Loui Eriksson ( or anyone good) as are offense needs a huge boost. Everyone is talking about are defense needing an upgrade because of the lidstrom and stuart departure but IMO we need offense for obvious reasons.

In reality I dont think we will make a move beause of the "prices" which is kinda stupid because we have expenable prospects. in my mind we will see another early playoff exit because "we need a scorer" O and btw we will not be getting Yandle so everyone should forget about that. I gurantee it

this is why Bouwmeester would fit in well here. he doesnt play a grind game and we wouldnt want him to. He would be a soild skating offesive puck moving d man

Edited by mjtm77

For the love of god Jay Bo is not has bad as most of you guys have him out to be. He would thrive on our team, most of you would be suprised. He would be a soild top 4 defensman and would help this team HUGE come playoffs. For me the question is why give up so much youth for another d man. We are already loaded on defense prospects and we just landed DeKeyser. You guys can stop worrying tho because there is no way Holand will add Jay Bo. In his mind It just doesnt make sense for the price. I would differ from that and go ahead and make a trade.

I would like holland to add a scorer like Cammy or Loui Eriksson ( or anyone good) as are offense needs a huge boost. Everyone is talking about are defense needing an upgrade because of the lidstrom and stuart departure but IMO we need offense for obvious reasons.

In reality I dont think we will make a move beause of the "prices" which is kinda stupid because we have expenable prospects. in my mind we will see another early playoff exit because "we need a scorer" O and btw we will not be getting Yandle so everyone should forget about that. I gurantee it

this is why Bouwmeester would fit in well here. he doesnt play a grind game and we wouldnt want him to. He would be a soild skating offesive puck moving d man

I don't think anyone thinks he is terrible, nor do I think that people think he won't do well in our system... the main issue most everyone here has, is his cap hit. No matter how you slice it, he is vastly overpayed, and I personally do not want that cap crippling our team with the cap dropping next year.