• This topic is locked This topic is locked
214 replies to this topic

#41 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

I want him. Bouwmeester would really take some pressure off our other defenseman.

Yandle doesn't interest me as much. He's better offensively, but makes a ton more mistakes. We have enough offensively first defenseman, Quincey, Smith, Kronwall, White, Kindl... We need a guy that can eat minutes and upgrade us defensively. Bouwmeester may not be the best defeneman, but he may be the best option.

There just aren't that many good defenseman moving, Burns, and Suter are the main ones I can think of. I'm glad we stayed away from Carle.

I don't know, I think Bouwmeester may have a bigger effect then we realize, he's really wanting to make the playoffs, and I think the potential is there for him to really break out.

Who knows though, I completely understand the hesitant people, but if the price was right I don't see the reasons why we shouldn't. He would improve this team.

That's exactly it, Yandle doesn't "make a ton of mistakes".  It's the same absurd hearsay as Semin's "too lazy" for his money stuff.  People repeat it just to repeat it.  When Yandle first entered the league he was a 20 y/o offensive defenseman who was undersized.   Of course his defense wasn't up to par, and then the reputation just stuck.  Since then his complete game has rounded out and he's a top flight NHL talent across the board. 

Also, Quincey is not an offensive defenseman...at least not a good one, and neither is White.  Smith might be one day, but he's not scoring OR playing defense all that well.  And Kindl surprisingly has been good on each side of the ice.  Any way you cut it, as far as puck movers go our team looks better with...

Yandle

Kronwall

Smith/Kindl/Quincey

than it does with...

Kronwall

Smith

Kindl/Quincey/White

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#42 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against Yandle. I just think J-Bo is a better option. I also take these rumor sites with a grain of salt. Due to what is left on their contracts alone, Yandle should cost a lot more in a trade.

#43 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

At first I wasn't on board with trading for Boumeester but if Calary is selling and we can swing a deal, I think Holland needs to aggressively go after him and a forward this deadline. My 2nd option for D would be Yandle but God knows what Phoenix would want for him, if they're willing to take offers on him at all.

#44 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

That's exactly it, Yandle doesn't "make a ton of mistakes".  It's the same absurd hearsay as Semin's "too lazy" for his money stuff.  People repeat it just to repeat it.  When Yandle first entered the league he was a 20 y/o offensive defenseman who was undersized.   Of course his defense wasn't up to par, and then the reputation just stuck.  Since then his complete game has rounded out and he's a top flight NHL talent across the board. 

Also, Quincey is not an offensive defenseman...at least not a good one, and neither is White.  Smith might be one day, but he's not scoring OR playing defense all that well.  And Kindl surprisingly has been good on each side of the ice.  Any way you cut it, as far as puck movers go our team looks better with...

Yandle

Kronwall

Smith/Kindl/Quincey

than it does with...

Kronwall

Smith

Kindl/Quincey/White

No doubt, but I think the resources put into Yandle would make us more one dimensional on that back end.

And he does make a ton of mistakes, just like Kronwall. He takes a ton of penalites(2nd on his team for 3 years in a row), he has bad pinches.

If he was good defensively he would play more than 3 seconds a game on the penalty kill.

I just think he's too similar to Kronwall, and would be too many of the same type guys.

Bouwmeester is much more versatile.

#45 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

Just say NO to J-Bo!!

#46 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

No doubt, but I think the resources put into Yandle would make us more one dimensional on that back end.

And he does make a ton of mistakes, just like Kronwall. He takes a ton of penalites(2nd on his team for 3 years in a row), he has bad pinches.

If he was good defensively he would play more than 3 seconds a game on the penalty kill.

I just think he's too similar to Kronwall, and would be too many of the same type guys.

This. And I also think that we haven't seen his best hockey yet. I think he would be rejuvinated playing on a playoff team.

#47 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,778 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:55 PM

Why would Phoenix just give up Yandle ? Because we are the Detroit Red Wings and we demand him ? We would have to pay alot more to get him, defensively he's not that great.

Calgary is looking to move J-Bo so he would be had for much less, I would rather pay less to get a good defensemen than overpay big time to get Yandle just because we are exploring J-Bo.

#48 redwings15

redwings15

Rookie

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:59 PM

Would rather have Yandle. Has more playoff experience. Has more upside. Although I like the good defense creates offense argument, I like our defense. If we're spending $5M-6M, I'd actually prefer to have Jagr, Gaborik or even St Louis.

Edited by redwings15, 28 March 2013 - 06:59 PM.

#49 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

First of all, Bouwmeester isn't more versatile.  He's good on the PK, Yandle is good on the PP.  Neither are physical.  Both play a ton of games, and log a ton of minutes.  Secondly, versatility is overrated.  Dan Cleary is versatile too.  I'd rather have a player who's exceptional at something than a jack of all trades who's not particularly good at any one thing.  You can build around one, the other is just a plug.  In this case, an expensive plug. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#50 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

First of all, Bouwmeester isn't more versatile.  He's good on the PK, Yandle is good on the PP.  Neither are physical.  Both play a ton of games, and log a ton of minutes.  Secondly, versatility is overrated.  Dan Cleary is versatile too.  I'd rather have a player who's exceptional at something than a jack of all trades who's not particularly good at any one thing.  You can build around one, the other is just a plug.  In this case, an expensive plug. 

An plug that plays 25 mintues a night...

Bouwmeester is not a plug. He may not be elite, or even very good. But he is a top pairing guy in this league, and he's never been on a good team.

It depends on the price for me.

#51 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

Why would Phoenix just give up Yandle ? Because we are the Detroit Red Wings and we demand him ? We would have to pay alot more to get him, defensively he's not that great.

Calgary is looking to move J-Bo so he would be had for much less, I would rather pay less to get a good defensemen than overpay big time to get Yandle just because we are exploring J-Bo.

Wait what?  The very same sources that suggest Bouwmeester is being shopped are the ones saying Yandle is on the market.  Dreger has reported it repeatedly.  It's not like they're dying to keep him and I'm just wishing here.  The guy is actively being shopped.  And again, Yandle's defense is not that bad.  It's on par with Rafalski's, not a shutdown guy, but responsible and positionally sound. 

#52 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

as far as scoring, they are both about the same this season, with J-Bo being on a terrible team. J-bo has also been a lot more physical this season than in the past. And he can play on the PK. J-bo certainly is not a plug.

#53 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

An plug that plays 25 mintues a night...

Bouwmeester is not a plug. He may not be elite, or even very good. But he is a top pairing guy in this league, and he's never been on a good team.

It depends on the price for me.

I agree, he plays a lot.  So did Kyle Quincey when he was with LA and Colorado.  Doesn't mean he's a legit top pairing guy, it just means he was on a defensively weak team.  Bouwmeester is too. 

#54 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

Either Yandle or JBow would be fine with me depending on the price.

I'm more concerned about what we're going to be giving up than I am about either of their cap-hits for next year. 

I think either would be a great addition and would flourish playing on a better team. 

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#55 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:11 PM

Wait what?  The very same sources that suggest Bouwmeester is being shopped are the ones saying Yandle is on the market.  Dreger has reported it repeatedly.  It's not like they're dying to keep him and I'm just wishing here.  The guy is actively being shopped.  And again, Yandle's defense is not that bad.  It's on par with Rafalski's, not a shutdown guy, but responsible and positionally sound. 

Calgary is in sell mode. Kind of obvious j-bo is gonna be part of that. I don't go by what rumor sites say. Almost any player can be traded if the price is right. And Yandle would prbably cost a lot more than j-bo in a trade.

#56 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,778 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

I would like to see this 'source' that said Yandle is being shopped right now. This is the first i've heard of this.

#57 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

Either Yandle or JBow would be fine with me depending on the price.

I'm more concerned about what we're going to be giving up than I am about either of their cap-hits for next year. 

I think either would be a great addition and would flourish playing on a better team. 

I'll agree with this, but the reason I'm concerned with their cap hits is because it may have a huge effect on our ability to land a quality top six winger.  Those are typically fairly expensive and the million dollar difference between Yandle and Bouwmeester would have a huge effect. 

#58 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

I agree, he plays a lot.  So did Kyle Quincey when he was with LA and Colorado.  Doesn't mean he's a legit top pairing guy, it just means he was on a defensively weak team.  Bouwmeester is too.

Quincey had one year of playing 23 or minutes

Bouwmeester has 9 years, and 8 of playing 25 or more. I just think Bouwmeester can reach a higher level playing for a team that can actually make the playoffs. I can't think of many players that can bring their A game every night for a team that doesn't have a chance.

I feel the risk for Bouwmeester isn't high, the very least we get a guy that can play 23 minutes and save Kronwall some penalty kill time. The potential is we get a 6'4 defenseman, that can skate like the wind, and fillls an important spot on this team that can allow Kindl, Smith and Lashoff to grow into their roles while not having to do too much.

Yandle to me is a rover type guy, I don't not like him. I just don't think his offense will solve enough of this team's issues. We give up entirely way too many odd man rushes and high percentage scoring chances. And that's because we have too many risk takers on the back end. White, Smith, and Kronwall pinch entirely too often. And Yandle would most likely join that club quickly. While Bouwmeesters range can alleviate that problem for one of those guys.

Edited by Carman, 28 March 2013 - 07:15 PM.

#59 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

Quincey had one year of playing 23 or minutes

Bouwmeester has 9 years, and 8 of playing 25 or more. I just think Bouwmeester can reach a higher level playing for a team that can actually make the playoffs. I can't think of many players that can bring their A game every night for a team that doesn't have a chance.

I feel the risk for Bouwmeester isn't high, the very least we get a guy that can play 23 minutes and save Kronwall some penalty kill time. The potential is we get a 6'4 defenseman, that can skate like the wind, and fillls an important spot on this team that can allow Kindl, Smith and Lashoff to grow into their roles while not having to do too much.

Yandle to me is a rover type guy, I don't not like him. I just don't think his offense will solve enough of this team's issues. We give up entirely way too many odd man rushes and high percentage scoring chances. And that's because we have too many risk takers on the back end. White, Smith, and Kronwall pinch entirely too often. And Yandle would most likely join that club quickly. While Bouwmeesters range can alleviate that problem for one of those guys.

Totally agree. J-bo seems like it would be a very low maintinance move, in terms of fitting in with the team. Where as Yandle might provide a little more scoring, but also a lot of cursing due to bad pinches.

#60 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

I would like to see this 'source' that said Yandle is being shopped right now. This is the first i've heard of this.

Well, we'll start with these...

http://www.sportsnet...ation-heats-up/

http://www.thefourth.../chi130328.html

http://www.mlive.com...estions_10.html