• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
b.shanafan14

Dreger: Wings 'very interested' in Bouwmeester *merged*

Rate this topic

Why would Phoenix just give up Yandle ? Because we are the Detroit Red Wings and we demand him ? We would have to pay alot more to get him, defensively he's not that great.

Calgary is looking to move J-Bo so he would be had for much less, I would rather pay less to get a good defensemen than overpay big time to get Yandle just because we are exploring J-Bo.

Wait what? The very same sources that suggest Bouwmeester is being shopped are the ones saying Yandle is on the market. Dreger has reported it repeatedly. It's not like they're dying to keep him and I'm just wishing here. The guy is actively being shopped. And again, Yandle's defense is not that bad. It's on par with Rafalski's, not a shutdown guy, but responsible and positionally sound.

First of all, Bouwmeester isn't more versatile. He's good on the PK, Yandle is good on the PP. Neither are physical. Both play a ton of games, and log a ton of minutes. Secondly, versatility is overrated. Dan Cleary is versatile too. I'd rather have a player who's exceptional at something than a jack of all trades who's not particularly good at any one thing. You can build around one, the other is just a plug. In this case, an expensive plug.

as far as scoring, they are both about the same this season, with J-Bo being on a terrible team. J-bo has also been a lot more physical this season than in the past. And he can play on the PK. J-bo certainly is not a plug.

An plug that plays 25 mintues a night...

Bouwmeester is not a plug. He may not be elite, or even very good. But he is a top pairing guy in this league, and he's never been on a good team.

It depends on the price for me.

I agree, he plays a lot. So did Kyle Quincey when he was with LA and Colorado. Doesn't mean he's a legit top pairing guy, it just means he was on a defensively weak team. Bouwmeester is too.

Either Yandle or JBow would be fine with me depending on the price.

I'm more concerned about what we're going to be giving up than I am about either of their cap-hits for next year.

I think either would be a great addition and would flourish playing on a better team.

Wait what? The very same sources that suggest Bouwmeester is being shopped are the ones saying Yandle is on the market. Dreger has reported it repeatedly. It's not like they're dying to keep him and I'm just wishing here. The guy is actively being shopped. And again, Yandle's defense is not that bad. It's on par with Rafalski's, not a shutdown guy, but responsible and positionally sound.

Calgary is in sell mode. Kind of obvious j-bo is gonna be part of that. I don't go by what rumor sites say. Almost any player can be traded if the price is right. And Yandle would prbably cost a lot more than j-bo in a trade.

I would like to see this 'source' that said Yandle is being shopped right now. This is the first i've heard of this.

Either Yandle or JBow would be fine with me depending on the price.

I'm more concerned about what we're going to be giving up than I am about either of their cap-hits for next year.

I think either would be a great addition and would flourish playing on a better team.

I'll agree with this, but the reason I'm concerned with their cap hits is because it may have a huge effect on our ability to land a quality top six winger. Those are typically fairly expensive and the million dollar difference between Yandle and Bouwmeester would have a huge effect.

I agree, he plays a lot. So did Kyle Quincey when he was with LA and Colorado. Doesn't mean he's a legit top pairing guy, it just means he was on a defensively weak team. Bouwmeester is too.

Quincey had one year of playing 23 or minutes

Bouwmeester has 9 years, and 8 of playing 25 or more. I just think Bouwmeester can reach a higher level playing for a team that can actually make the playoffs. I can't think of many players that can bring their A game every night for a team that doesn't have a chance.

I feel the risk for Bouwmeester isn't high, the very least we get a guy that can play 23 minutes and save Kronwall some penalty kill time. The potential is we get a 6'4 defenseman, that can skate like the wind, and fillls an important spot on this team that can allow Kindl, Smith and Lashoff to grow into their roles while not having to do too much.

Yandle to me is a rover type guy, I don't not like him. I just don't think his offense will solve enough of this team's issues. We give up entirely way too many odd man rushes and high percentage scoring chances. And that's because we have too many risk takers on the back end. White, Smith, and Kronwall pinch entirely too often. And Yandle would most likely join that club quickly. While Bouwmeesters range can alleviate that problem for one of those guys.

Edited by Carman

Bouwmeester has 9 years, and 8 of playing 25 or more. I just think Bouwmeester can reach a higher level playing for a team that can actually make the playoffs. I can't think of many players that can bring their A game every night for a team that doesn't have a chance.

I feel the risk for Bouwmeester isn't high, the very least we get a guy that can play 23 minutes and save Kronwall some penalty kill time. The potential is we get a 6'4 defenseman, that can skate like the wind, and fillls an important spot on this team that can allow Kindl, Smith and Lashoff to grow into their roles while not having to do too much.

Yandle to me is a rover type guy, I don't not like him. I just don't think his offense will solve enough of this team's issues. We give up entirely way too many odd man rushes and high percentage scoring chances. And that's because we have too many risk takers on the back end. White, Smith, and Kronwall pinch entirely too often. And Yandle would most likely join that club quickly. While Bouwmeesters range can alleviate that problem for one of those guys.

Totally agree. J-bo seems like it would be a very low maintinance move, in terms of fitting in with the team. Where as Yandle might provide a little more scoring, but also a lot of cursing due to bad pinches.

I would like to see this 'source' that said Yandle is being shopped right now. This is the first i've heard of this.

Well, we'll start with these...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/spector-on-nhl-trade-speculation-heats-up/

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/chi130328.html

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/02/red_wings_ask_ansar_questions_10.html

All i get form those links is that we'd have to send equal salary/roster players back their way. J-Bo can be had for picks and prospects.

Not to mention the 3rd link is from 6 games into the season and says the price for yandle would be too high.

Edited by marcaractac

I think that we can all agree that Yandle plays on a low scoring team. We can also all agree that if he were making bad pinches all the time they'd be getting scored on. From those two premises I can draw two conclusions. 1) Yandle is less likely to pinch on a team that isn't desperate for offense. 2) Given that his team doesn't score much, if he were getting caught pinching a lot, and it led to goals against, he'd be a negative player.

He isn't.

Bouwmeester is though.

All i get form those links is that we'd have to send equal salary/roster players back their way. J-Bo can be had for picks and prospects.

Not to mention the 3rd link is from 6 games into the season and says the price for yandle would be too high.

Of course you'd get Bouwmeester for less, he's not a young, or as good, and he's on a worse contract, and Yandle is under that reasonable contract for three more years. What does that prove?

All he asked me for were the sources, not to extoll the virtues of each hypothetical deal.

Edited by kipwinger

He is a whole 3 years older. And to say he is not as good is opinion. Big contract? sure. But it is one full season. One of 3 things would happen. He would either step up his game enough to earn that salary (win for the wings). Resign for a lower cap hit next time around (win for the wings). Or decide to go elsewhere. (lose for the wings, but not the end of the world). We wouldnt have to give up the farm to get him. With Yandle you could say good bye to roster players, and not our dead weight either.

Like two people on the entire Calgary team is a +. They have the 3rd worst goals for/goals against in the league at -19

Phoenix isn't much better, but they still are with -9.

I just think Bouwmeester doesn't have much help around him. Yandle was at least on a playoff team.

They are both really good, I'm just in favor of defense, over offense. I just don't think Yandle is the right fit, it's like adding Byfuglien to play with Mike Green. I'd rather have a Seabrook/Keith top defense.

Bouwmeester is not a plug. He may not be elite, or even very good. But he is a top pairing guy in this league, and he's never been on a good team.

Bouwmeester was traded to a team that was in the playoffs for 5 years straight. They have missed every season he's been anchoring their defence.

Neither Yandle or Bouwmeester is what the Wings need, they are both like adding another Kronwall.

If the Wings want to add a defenceman they should be looking at right handed shutdown defenceman who will allow Kronwall and Smith to open up offensively.

If not that they should look to either unload some added bottom 6 depth as a seller in a sellers market or look to jettison some of that extra depth with some picks for a top 6 forward

Thats my opinion

Bouwmeester was traded to a team that was in the playoffs for 5 years straight. They have missed every season he's been anchoring their defence.

Neither Yandle or Bouwmeester is what the Wings need, they are both like adding another Kronwall.

If the Wings want to add a defenceman they should be looking at right handed shutdown defenceman who will allow Kronwall and Smith to open up offensively.

If not that they should look to either unload some added bottom 6 depth as a seller in a sellers market or look to jettison some of that extra depth with some picks for a top 6 forward

Thats my opinion

I can definitely respect that opinion. I do think that Calgarys drop out of the playoff picture has more to do with their aging core at the time, however. Even though they were making the playoffs before j-bo, they were on the decline. They relied on Iggy and Kipper for a few years too long I think. And they had no kids to bring up what so ever.

Dear god, I wouldn't give them anything. Especially what they handed Iginla over to Pitt for.

A first round pick and Tvrdon, and Aubry? I'd do it. They didn't hand over any of their top prospects.

Guest Johnz96

The price is 6.8, about 3.4 too much

The price is 6.8, about 3.4 too much

18 million in cap space, we should be fine, should have no problem keeping Brunner, our RFAs, Howard and getting Horton.

The price he is speaking of is the players/prospects/pick that would be headed to Calgary not salary cap hit.

This too.

I wouldn't touch Mrazek, unless we kept the first round pick.

Edited by Carman

He is a whole 3 years older. And to say he is not as good is opinion. Big contract? sure. But it is one full season. One of 3 things would happen. He would either step up his game enough to earn that salary (win for the wings). Resign for a lower cap hit next time around (win for the wings). Or decide to go elsewhere. (lose for the wings, but not the end of the world). We wouldnt have to give up the farm to get him. With Yandle you could say good bye to roster players, and not our dead weight either.

Again, his cap hit severely limits your ability to sign a quality forward to play with Datsyuk. By the time that cap hit is gone, Datsyuk will be sippin Stoli in Red Square. The overall cap goes down next season, taking on a huge contract for a guy who's biggest assets are his versatility and the fact that he plays a lot of games doesn't make sense because it all but assures that you A) probably can't resign Flip and B) definitely can't resign Flip plus add another top sixer in order to be competitive. And god knows Nyquist and Tatar aren't the answer up there with the big boys.

Speaking of Dats and J-Bo in the same post. You're talking about acquiring a guy who doesn't NOTHING exceptionally well, but everything decently well AND HE MAKES MORE THAN DATSYUK. Why on earth does that seem like a good idea.

If you want defense get Robyn Regehr for the remainder of the season and call it quits.

Guest Johnz96

No doubt, but I think the resources put into Yandle would make us more one dimensional on that back end.

And he does make a ton of mistakes, just like Kronwall. He takes a ton of penalites(2nd on his team for 3 years in a row), he has bad pinches.

If he was good defensively he would play more than 3 seconds a game on the penalty kill.

I just think he's too similar to Kronwall, and would be too many of the same type guys.

Bouwmeester is much more versatile.

I can't beieve you compare him to Kronwall. He has more give away playing less minutes, not playing SH and they try to get him off the ice against top lines. He doesn't hit or block shots.

Of the top 10 scoring d-men in the league only 1 has less giveaways than Kronwall.

We have been spoiled by watching Perfect Human Being for so long.

None of his teams have made the playoffs because they rely on a slug to play 25 mins