• This topic is locked This topic is locked
214 replies to this topic

#121 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:52 AM

on what planet is kronwall a top-10 dman?  LOL.  guy can't play defense to save his life.

That is a misconception around here probably because we have been spoiled watching the Perfect Human Being for so long.
I've even seen him referred to as a 'turnover machine' here. Lol
Of the top 10 scoring d-man only 1 is credited with more GiveAways, even those touted as Norris candidates like Letang (who has twice as many), Beauchemin, Chara, Weber, Pietrangelo, Keith, Doughty... have more.
He leads the team in blocked shots and is one of the game's most feared hitters. 
He has the skill and acumen to move the puck and is a main reason we are still a top puck possession team (when we have the puck the opponets can't score)

Name 30 better defensemen in the league than Kronner (1 #1 dman per team) and I will agree he is not a #1 dman

There's not 10 better.

Edited by Johnz96, 29 March 2013 - 10:04 AM.

#122 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

Forgive my ignorance...What's so special about Mrazek?..I know nothing about him.

I don't mean to talk down on him, but as puckbags pointed out - if Howard signs on for another 4, or 5 years where does Mrazek fit in?..Is he a "sure thing" at the NHL level?

IMHO Bouwmeester could fit in very well in Detroit; he has the skating/puck handling skills to excel with the puck possession style of play, he's 29 years old, stays healthy throughout the season, and there's only 1 year left on his current contract (for those who use that as a reason not getting him).

Goalies take a while to mature. He won't ve a backup til 2014-15, then it'll be another two years or so to be a reliable starter. If he goes faster than that, then we will have a great goalie tandem once more.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#123 fat guy in a maltby jersey

fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:33 AM

Name 30 better defensemen in the league than Kronner (1 #1 dman per team) and I will agree he is not a #1 dman

30? He said that hew was top 10.

#124 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

30? He said that hew was top 10.

I may quoted the wrong person, but someone said he was not a #1 dman. I don't know about top 10, but top 15 for sure

I'm a Red Wing for the next three years and I'm going to make sure every team we play knows that.'' -- Jordin Tootoo

#125 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

I may quoted the wrong person, but someone said he was not a #1 dman. I don't know about top 10, but top 15 for sure

Top 10

#126 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

Top 10

Neither. He failed to make even the top 45 in fantasy rankings, and rightfully so.

I'll go ahead and list 15 defensemen who are better than him (because you think so lowly of Kronwall, I'll leave him out). In no particular order:

Karlsson

Pietrangelo

OEL

Chara

Girardi

Staal

Letang

Suter

Weber

Edler

Shattenkirk

Keith

Burns

Subban

Markov

I could go on, if you want.

Edited by Crymson, 29 March 2013 - 10:06 PM.

#127 number9

number9

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:08 PM

Neither. He failed to make even the top 45 in fantasy rankings, and rightfully so.

I'll go ahead and list 15 defensemen who are better than him (because you think so lowly of Kronwall, I'll leave him out). In no particular order:

Karlsson

Pietrangelo

OEL

Chara

Girardi

Staal

Letang

Suter

Weber

Edler

Shattenkirk

Keith

Burns

Subban

Markov

I could go on, if you want.

Fantasy rankings are a joke. He's not top 10, maybe top 15, definitely top 20.

#128 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

Do people think Bouwmeester is better than Kronwall?

Kronwall is a # 2 man is my final answer on the matter.

Fantasy rankings are a joke. He's not top 10, maybe top 15, definitely top 20.

Burns isn't a defenseman anymore.

Don't kill me.

Sorry number9 that was meant for Crymson

Nevermind. My post was before people's posts were edited. My bad.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 29 March 2013 - 10:30 PM.

#129 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:29 PM

JBo a -4 so far tonight. 

Karlsson - YES

Pietrangelo - YES

OEL - TES

Chara - YES

Girardi - Y/N

Staal - No

Letang - YES

Suter - Y/N

Weber - YES

Edler - NO

Shattenkirk - Y/N

Keith - YES

Burns - Not a dman anymore and NO

Subban - NO

Markov - Y/N

#130 number9

number9

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:36 PM

A big body D-man who doesn't use his size, is mediocre at moving the puck, and mediocre in his own zone. Yeah, that's what we need.

#131 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:39 PM

Burns isn't a defenseman anymore.

Burns isn't a defenseman at the moment. He has played nine games as a forward and 540 as a defenseman, making your claim a bit ridiculous.

#132 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

The Burns thing is actually pretty cool. Why hasn't Babs tried that? Didn't E play forward once upon a time? 

IPB Image

#133 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

JBo a -4 so far tonight. 

Yep, he has been terrible. Zero assists and a -4.

As for your critique on my list, I'd like for you to explain to me how Bouwmeester is better than anyone on it.

#134 number9

number9

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:59 PM

The Burns thing is actually pretty cool. Why hasn't Babs tried that? Didn't E play forward once upon a time? 

I think it only works rarely. Byflugien is one of the few who can do it. Chara and Pronger as forwards on the PP works well on occasion too. E is probably the one I'd play as a forward though, If I had to. Put him in front of the opponents net.

#135 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:19 PM

I didn't read through this whole thing, so forgive me if someone has already said this... My worry would be the price. After getting somewhat fleeced in the Iginla deal, I wonder if Feaster will ask a kings ransom for Bouwmeester since he doesn't really need to get rid of him.

#136 number9

number9

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:38 PM

I didn't read through this whole thing, so forgive me if someone has already said this... My worry would be the price. After getting somewhat fleeced in the Iginla deal, I wonder if Feaster will ask a kings ransom for Bouwmeester since he doesn't really need to get rid of him.

Doubt it, his contract is so inflated I think he'd have to come down in asking price in order to move him. Unless Calgary retains a good portion of his salary that is

#137 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:42 PM

Further news on Bouwmeester's awful game tonight. The highlights are here. Bouwmeester figured directly into three of the four goals-against that occurred while he was on the ice.

Goal-against 1: Bouwmeester was directly responsible for the 2-on-1 that led to this Jackets goal, as he pinched in to pick up a puck that was coming up the boards and completely whiffed on it (despite the puck being flat on the ice).
Goal-against 2: Bouwmeester completely failed to defend Calvert, who sniped it over him and into the net.
Goal-against 3: Bouwmeester failed to pick up a man coming late on the rush to his right, and also failed to intercept the pass to that player. Goal.

His other stats for the game included one shot, one hit, and zero blocks, and he was not on the ice for a single one of the Flames' goals.

This guy's first-pairing tag is very questionable. He is most assuredly not a #1 defenseman.

Edited by Crymson, 29 March 2013 - 11:44 PM.

#138 number9

number9

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:50 PM

Further news on Bouwmeester's awful game tonight. The highlights are here. Bouwmeester figured directly into three of the four goals-against that occurred while he was on the ice.

Goal-against 1: Bouwmeester was directly responsible for the 2-on-1 that led to this Jackets goal, as he pinched in to pick up a puck that was coming up the boards and completely whiffed on it (despite the puck being flat on the ice).
Goal-against 2: Bouwmeester completely failed to defend Calvert, who sniped it over him and into the net.
Goal-against 3: Bouwmeester failed to pick up a man coming late on the rush to his right, and also failed to intercept the pass to that player. Goal.

His other stats for the game included one shot, one hit, and zero blocks, and he was not on the ice for a single one of the Flames' goals.

This guy's first-pairing tag is very questionable. He is most assuredly not a #1 defenseman.

Can't believe anyone on here even considers him a top 4 guy. The #4 spot is the most I'd give him. He'd be a terrible player to bring into this organization. Underachieves like crazy. Zero intensity in his game. Rather have Huskins.

#139 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:00 AM

Again:

And more:

Edited by Crymson, 30 March 2013 - 12:23 AM.

#140 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:40 AM

Burns isn't a defenseman at the moment. He has played nine games as a forward and 540 as a defenseman, making your claim a bit ridiculous.

Yeah you are right Crymson.

My bad. You know everything.

Wanna play pick up hockey sometime?

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 30 March 2013 - 01:05 AM.