• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
nyqvististhefuture

time to trade filppula?

Rate this topic

Based on the trades this week, I think he could get the Wings at most two 2nds, or a 1st and a C prospect. If that would be the return, I would rather the Wings make a run for the playoffs.

Regardless of the Wings' chances in the playoffs, seeing Holland and Co. make an extra draft pick or two this year is not enough for me to want the Wings to give up on the season.

Because them having a mediocre playoff run is worth the team being worse in the future. Got it.

Because them having a mediocre playoff run is worth the team being worse in the future. Got it.

Them having a chance to win the cup this season, without giving up assets, is worth it to me. You might disagree, but I think any team that makes the playoffs does have a chance to win the cup.

If a second round pick (or two) and a C prospect is going to determine the future of the Wings, their future is already bad.

I wouldn't mind trading Flip, by himself or in a package, if the return was right. IMO two seconds isn't worth risking the playoffs this season.

Nyquist is listed as a C on some websites- does anyone know if he has every played C in GR?

I think we've seen Flip's ceiling and he's a guy that should be playing on the 2nd or 3rd line. $5 mil per would be a lot of money for his production and hard to swallow but I wouldn't be surprised for him to get it from a number of teams including the Wings.

Only KH knows what the contract expectations are from Flip's camp but if he wants north of $4.5 per and we could swing a deal for a top 20 pick in the draft I would think Holland would have to seriously consider it. I expect him to remain with the team after the deadline though. I don't know how many teams are actually interested in him as a rental and trading him would damage whatever chances we have of making a cup run.

If we can get a 1st round pick I say trade him... he is not even close to being worth the 5 mill he is rumoured to be looking for. Maybe he will have his breakout finally if he gets his 5 Mill? If not he can join the "bad contract line" featuring:

J. Franzen - V. Fullapooluh - M. Samuelsson

C. Colaiacovo - K. Quincey

show me a player earning 4 million that puts up more goals then Franzen please, and not some 20 year old kid on his first contract

As much as I am frustrated like most of you in this forum, I am grateful for a few things. After looking at most of these trades I really feel that we had nothing to give up except for Andersson, Tatar, Nyquist, Smith and Ferraro. I am glad we didn't let any of those guys go cause honestly they were slightly equal to the players most of teams gave up to get Pominville, Gaborik..etc. I am extremely happy we didn't give up the first round pick and I think Kyle Quincey proved to Holland that he should re-think before giving up his first three picks in the draft.

The asking prices for some of these players were outrageous. Jay Bouwmeester for a first was bad, Roy and Jagr was too high as well. I would of been pissed if they got one of those guys cause their on edge of their career falling apart. The one thing I truly wish holland would of done was atleast get a Steve Sullivan or even a Ryan O'Byrne. I'm tired of the "Were not looking for depth, were looking for a top SIX defenseman" well sorry Holland but THERE ARE NO TOP SIX DEFENSEMEN BECOMING UFAS THIS SUMMER!

Sadly, I will not be purchasing a playoff ticket this year because I don't believe in the group of guys we have on this team. I feel like i'm watching a potential rebuilt team. Yet, were in 7th place and had an opportunity to become a stronger team going into the playoffs.

We all knew this day would come and the best thing is to allow the storm to pass through and be grateful that were not a 15th seed. We couldn't sell the players we have now cause in a financial world you don't dump a team that you have on the border of making the playoffs. Not only will it create a deeper hole but the team would not make any money during the playoffs.

Edited by HIFI_canadian

The part I find most confusing is that we really can't "reload" via free agency this summer. Our needs are a solid #1-2 defenseman and a top-6 scorer. Very few options will be available. Maybe it all works out. I'm not a fan of being mediocre for a few years to have a chance at being good later. I'm glad we still have all of our prospects. Nyquist and Tatar are very good players, but the way Babcock is set on playing them on the 3rd and 4th lines just won't work. They're top-6 players. They need to play with talent to be useful.

Well if we were a 15th seed at least we'd be getting a Seth Jones

True story...

Still, this year's draft is deep and I bet Holland has a good feeling about it. This is probably going to be the toughest offseason for Holland and his staff.

IMO he should have traded Flip either for a 1st or quality prospect.... Now he will have two choices, losing him for nothing or even worst overpaying him at $5M and up... Same thing goes for White, a 2nd rounder in THIS year draft is better than nothing

Why does everyone think that a bottom pairing defenseman that has been a healthy scratch for quite a few games this season is worth a second round pick?

I don't really mind no trades were done, as long as something is done in the off season. The one thing that I will be pissed at is if Holland doesn't get Flip for cheaper, or just let's him walk considering he could have traded him for something (ala Brad Stuart last year). If we aren't going to re-sign Flip, and we know for sure we are not winning the cup we should have traded him. Time will tell what happens.

I don't really mind no trades were done, as long as something is done in the off season. The one thing that I will be pissed at is if Holland doesn't get Flip for cheaper, or just let's him walk considering he could have traded him for something (ala Brad Stuart last year). If we aren't going to re-sign Flip, and we know for sure we are not winning the cup we should have traded him. Time will tell what happens.

Two things...

1. Take a look at this year's free agent class, there aren't any top sixer or top four defensemen.

2. If I'm Filppula's agent I'm happy as hell right now. The Wings already don't have enough quality top sixers, there are none in this years UFA class, and the team didn't acquire one at the deadline. I can now drive the hardest bargain ever and get my client a maximum contract because what are they going to do, let him walk and replace him with Tatar or Nyquist?

Two things...

1. Take a look at this year's free agent class, there aren't any top sixer or top four defensemen.

2. If I'm Filppula's agent I'm happy as hell right now. The Wings already don't have enough quality top sixers, there are none in this years UFA class, and the team didn't acquire one at the deadline. I can now drive the hardest bargain ever and get my client a maximum contract because what are they going to do, let him walk and replace him with Tatar or Nyquist?

Exactly. But instead of Nyquist, Sammy stays and takes Fil's spot. Edited by DetroitRedWings1993

I've posted this elsewhere but am going to post here too:

If I'm Filppula's agent I'm pumped right now. There are no quality wingers available in the upcoming UFA class. Detroit already doesn't have enough top flight wingers. AND they didn't bother to go get one at the trade deadline. So now I'm going to get him a maximum contract. If 5 million was the starting point, I'll probably go up to 5.5 because what are they going to do, let Flip walk and go into the season with what they've got plus Nyquist and Tatar? Best of luck boys, pay up or go into next season with a barely adequate top six.

Zero chance of getting this guy on the low end of negotiations now. Awesome.

Just let the little puss walk. Soft, inconsistent, and not smart at either end of the ice. We already screwed our chances of getting anything for him, and if Kenny wants to pay him $5 mil, then he needs his head examined. Franzen with less size and ability.

Edited by DetroitRedWings1993

I've posted this elsewhere but am going to post here too:

If I'm Filppula's agent I'm pumped right now. There are no quality wingers available in the upcoming UFA class. Detroit already doesn't have enough top flight wingers. AND they didn't bother to go get one at the trade deadline. So now I'm going to get him a maximum contract. If 5 million was the starting point, I'll probably go up to 5.5 because what are they going to do, let Flip walk and go into the season with what they've got plus Nyquist and Tatar? Best of luck boys, pay up or go into next season with a barely adequate top six.

Zero chance of getting this guy on the low end of negotiations now. Awesome.

let him walk then, I like flip but he isn't worth 5+ and tatar could easily fill the void he leaves behind offensively

Just let the little puss walk. Soft, inconsistent, and not smart at either end of the ice. We already screwed our chances of getting anything for him, and if Kenny wants to pay him $5 mil, then he needs his head examined. Franzen with less size and ability.

this is a bit of a stretch, he is smart defensively, and has good offensive instincts, but doesn't shoot enough, he questions himself and second guesses himself too much, but he is a good two way forward

Edited by Euro_Twins