• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
nyqvististhefuture

time to trade filppula?

Rate this topic

let him walk then, I like flip but he isn't worth 5+ and tatar could easily fill the void he leaves behind offensively

this is a bit of a stretch, he is smart defensively, and has good offensive instincts, but doesn't shoot enough, he questions himself and second guesses himself too much, but he is a good two way forward

Maybe Tatar could, but we don't know. As it is, he played pretty well this season but had the advantage of EXTREMELY sheltered minutes. Filppula is twice the puckhandler and MUCH stronger on his feet then Tatar is. We have yet to see if he can put up consistent offense against top lines and top defensive pairings. It's a big gamble to take.

Maybe Tatar could, but we don't know. As it is, he played pretty well this season but had the advantage of EXTREMELY sheltered minutes. Filppula is twice the puckhandler and MUCH stronger on his feet then Tatar is. We have yet to see if he can put up consistent offense against top lines and top defensive pairings. It's a big gamble to take.

I would not say flip is much stronger, he is afraid to go to the dirty areas to score, which we saw Tatar was not, and being a better puck handler in this case is over rated, because he tries to do to much and loses the puck, he tries to be like Datsyuk and make highlight reel dekes and just ends up turning it over, he doesn't shoot enough, and he isn't even getting assists at least. Let him walk

Just let the little puss walk. Soft, inconsistent, and not smart at either end of the ice. We already screwed our chances of getting anything for him, and if Kenny wants to pay him $5 mil, then he needs his head examined. Franzen with less size and ability.

Not smart huh? Dumber than letting him walk and seeing your top six gutted the year after having your top two defensive pairs gutted? Flip will get a big pay day real soon. Mark my words.

If Holland is really, REALLY, lucky Flip will agree to a year extension at the same or a little more money and then give him his raise once the cap goes back up the following season. But I wouldn't count on that type of shrewd management around here.

Two things...

1. Take a look at this year's free agent class, there aren't any top sixer or top four defensemen.

2. If I'm Filppula's agent I'm happy as hell right now. The Wings already don't have enough quality top sixers, there are none in this years UFA class, and the team didn't acquire one at the deadline. I can now drive the hardest bargain ever and get my client a maximum contract because what are they going to do, let him walk and replace him with Tatar or Nyquist?

Is there still salary arbitration? Cause the Wings could send him to it and his 13 points in 29 games will get him a 2 year 6 mil deal cause that's junk for a guy who wants 5 mil per year. Try again with the 5 mil demands if he puts up 2 more 66 point seasons.

But I have Tatar on a line with Dats and Nyquist in NHL 13 GM mode and he's tearing it up. :lol:

Honestly though, I think Tatar could step in nicely for Flip. I put it in some other thread not long ago.

Is there still salary arbitration? Cause the Wings could send him to it and his 13 points in 29 games will get him a 2 year 6 mil deal cause that's junk for a guy who wants 5 mil per year. Try again with the 5 mil demands if he puts up 2 more 66 point seasons.

He's an UFA (as noted below), and you can't take a UFA to salary arbitration. Only RFA.

I disagree that there won't be much action in the off season. There are ALOT of teams who just wagered big bucks on the last 13 games of the season. Philly, the Wild...just to name a few are going to have to dump some players to get under the cap next season. I can see a guy like Setoguchi or Koivu let go due to the trades made today. We won't have that problem....which allows the Wings to be contenders for these guys.

As for Flip, coming into the season he may have needed 5 million but I don't think he will walk away from a decent offer here. In every interview I have seen, Fil wants to stay and for the right price, I want him to. He hasn't had a good year...then again, besides Z and Pavel, who has? Gus is ready, Tatar is ready....unload the boys who can't be an asset to the team and pick up some talent with the money we didn't spend today. Unlike the OP, I think we will make the playoffs, despite being in a huge transition year AND we have seen our young guys step up. This team is a few key pieces from being a legit Stanley Cup contender......Just my opinion.

I've said it before and I'll say it until something happens contract wise, he's not worth 5 mil. Franzen at 3.8 should be the deal he gets, but if he wants more then that, maybe he should think about earning the contract while he thinks about the money he wants while he should be thinking hockey. All the while, SNAP THE 7 GAME POINT STREAK *******! I've always really liked Flip, but if he wants 5 mil, he can take his net pay from the last 3 years and move to Russia. He can have Hudler's sloppy hooker seconds and his old roster spot. :bye1:

The amount I like Flip can't make me overlook how much money he wants for what he's bringing to the table currently.

The salary cap is going to be lower next year. Guess what? NO ONE is going to give Flip 5 million a year. I can almost guarantee that. If anything he will sign here for around 3-3.5 million. I highly doubt anyone will give him more than that.

The salary cap is going to be lower next year. Guess what? NO ONE is going to give Flip 5 million a year. I can almost guarantee that. If anything he will sign here for around 3-3.5 million. I highly doubt anyone will give him more than that.

I hope you're right. I'd love me some filppula for that.

He did have a breakout season last year though with .80 ppg, so if a team thinks he can do that consistently they may do offer him 4.5+

People undervalue our players way too much. I agree with op. I think Holland did what was best for the long-run of this team. We have good prospects moving through the system that will be good NHL players. Why give them up for a rental when we can sign free agents in the summer for nothing? Most importantly, this team is still in the playoff race and could end up as high as the 4th seed. And that is completely realistic. As much as people complain, whine, and cry about Holland and Babcock, this team is competitive and as good as virtually every team in the conference, besides the Hawks (who are better then everybody). Go wings.

I'm not really upset we didn't pick up any of the guys available given the costs and where this team is ultimately at in the big picture of things, but I'm definitely upset we didn't move Flip for something. The only way I saw keeping Flip was if we added the top-6 forward and top-pairing defenseman. At that point, you've got a bit more of a shot to make a racket in the playoffs. But we didn't land those guys, and we're all the further behind, and anyone who thinks buyouts are going to be the answer to our Top-6 forward and Top-pairing defenseman needs are utterly and completely delusional. This team will still likely make the playoffs, but we're not going anywhere. How Holland justified not getting a return for Flip given all he says about building through the draft is just so far beyond me, and why I ultimately question whether Holland has a clue as to what he's really aiming to do with this team at this point. When he spends the majority of his time talking about doing what's best for the future and he fails to make this move, it's just hard to have faith in him. If he ends up signing Flip to a $5 million deal this summer, I'll be done expecting him to ever do this job well again for this team.

Holland will always get credit for what he did accomplish early on in his tenure as GM, but it by no means minimizes the fact that the very best thing one can objectively say about the tail end of his run is that he has been average. He hasn't been as horrible as some try to suggest, but he absolutely has not been great or anything close to it.

I disagree that there won't be much action in the off season. There are ALOT of teams who just wagered big bucks on the last 13 games of the season. Philly, the Wild...just to name a few are going to have to dump some players to get under the cap next season. I can see a guy like Setoguchi or Koivu let go due to the trades made today. We won't have that problem....which allows the Wings to be contenders for these guys.

I think if anyone on the Wild is going to be released it might be Heatley. The guy is 32 years old playing on their 3rd line making $7.5M and hasn't scored over 30 goals since '09. He's also last on the +/- for their team at -11. That alone should clear up some cap room.

I'd like to live in a world where no one would give Flip $5 million a year, but I'm well aware that we don't live in a sane world. Some team, hell, probably multiple teams, will gladly pony up $5 million for him.

O'Byrne was terrible all season. Ask any Avs fan or just watch their games. No loss there.

To be fair, people also were screaming for the Wings to get Scott Hannan from the Avs, and I watch a lot of Av's games he was horrible.

The only thing I wish Holland would have done is unload White and a few other players for some picks, but other then that I believe Holland played this smart. The Wings have to much pride to destroy the streak (which I'm happy) and they'll make the playoffs, but they aren't also going to hedge their bets on this season being a major contender. So here we are.