#61 HIFI_canadian

HIFI_canadian

Give me some of that TATAR sauce

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:55 PM

Well if we were a 15th seed at least we'd be getting a Seth Jones

True story... 

Still, this year's draft is deep and I bet Holland has a good feeling about it. This is probably going to be the toughest offseason for Holland and his staff.

tomastatar.png

#62 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 753 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:58 PM

O'Byrne was terrible all season. Ask any Avs fan or just watch their games. No loss there.

Edited by arag, 03 April 2013 - 05:00 PM.

#63 HIFI_canadian

HIFI_canadian

Give me some of that TATAR sauce

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

O'Byrne was terrible all season. Ask any Avs fan or just watch their games. No loss there.

Stay at home 5-6 defensemen, is he worse then Quincey and Colo?

tomastatar.png

#64 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

IMO he should have traded Flip either for a 1st or quality prospect.... Now he will have two choices, losing him for nothing or even worst overpaying him at $5M and up... Same thing goes for White, a 2nd rounder in THIS year draft is better than nothing
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#65 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 753 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

No better than Q and Colo if he stays healthy.

#66 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:08 PM

Lashoff > O'Byrne
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#67 dats13owns

dats13owns

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

IMO he should have traded Flip either for a 1st or quality prospect.... Now he will have two choices, losing him for nothing or even worst overpaying him at $5M and up... Same thing goes for White, a 2nd rounder in THIS year draft is better than nothing

Why does everyone think that a bottom pairing defenseman that has been a healthy scratch for quite a few games this season is worth a second round pick?

#68 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:13 PM

I don't really mind no trades were done, as long as something is done in the off season. The one thing that I will be pissed at is if Holland doesn't get Flip for cheaper, or just let's him walk considering he could have traded him for something (ala Brad Stuart last year). If we aren't going to re-sign Flip, and we know for sure we are not winning the cup we should have traded him. Time will tell what happens.

#69 DetroitRedWings1993

DetroitRedWings1993

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:17 PM

Holland is going to either A) re-sign Filpulla for MUCH more than he's worth or B) lose him for nothing.  This will NOT end well.  There is literally NOTHING available in the offseason that fits our needs.  The rebuild is on.  May as well accept that and move on.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is rated PG-13 for epic battle sequences.

#70 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

I don't really mind no trades were done, as long as something is done in the off season. The one thing that I will be pissed at is if Holland doesn't get Flip for cheaper, or just let's him walk considering he could have traded him for something (ala Brad Stuart last year). If we aren't going to re-sign Flip, and we know for sure we are not winning the cup we should have traded him. Time will tell what happens.

Two things...

1.  Take a look at this year's free agent class, there aren't any top sixer or top four defensemen.

2.  If I'm Filppula's agent I'm happy as hell right now.  The Wings already don't have enough quality top sixers, there are none in this years UFA class, and the team didn't acquire one at the deadline.  I can now drive the hardest bargain ever and get my client a maximum contract because what are they going to do, let him walk and replace him with Tatar or Nyquist? 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#71 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

if fil just walks i will be soooooo pissed

#72 DetroitRedWings1993

DetroitRedWings1993

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:40 PM

Two things...

1.  Take a look at this year's free agent class, there aren't any top sixer or top four defensemen.

2.  If I'm Filppula's agent I'm happy as hell right now.  The Wings already don't have enough quality top sixers, there are none in this years UFA class, and the team didn't acquire one at the deadline.  I can now drive the hardest bargain ever and get my client a maximum contract because what are they going to do, let him walk and replace him with Tatar or Nyquist? 

Exactly.  But instead of Nyquist, Sammy stays and takes Fil's spot.

Edited by DetroitRedWings1993, 03 April 2013 - 11:41 PM.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is rated PG-13 for epic battle sequences.

#73 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:45 PM

I've posted this elsewhere but am going to post here too:

If I'm Filppula's agent I'm pumped right now.  There are no quality wingers available in the upcoming UFA class.  Detroit already doesn't have enough top flight wingers.  AND they didn't bother to go get one at the trade deadline.  So now I'm going to get him a maximum contract.  If 5 million was the starting point, I'll probably go up to 5.5 because what are they going to do, let Flip walk and go into the season with what they've got plus Nyquist and Tatar?  Best of luck boys, pay up or go into next season with a barely adequate top six. 

Zero chance of getting this guy on the low end of negotiations now.  Awesome.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#74 DetroitRedWings1993

DetroitRedWings1993

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

Just let the little puss walk.  Soft, inconsistent, and not smart at either end of the ice.  We already screwed our chances of getting anything for him, and if Kenny wants to pay him $5 mil, then he needs his head examined.  Franzen with less size and ability.

Edited by DetroitRedWings1993, 03 April 2013 - 05:50 PM.

#75 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

I've posted this elsewhere but am going to post here too:

If I'm Filppula's agent I'm pumped right now.  There are no quality wingers available in the upcoming UFA class.  Detroit already doesn't have enough top flight wingers.  AND they didn't bother to go get one at the trade deadline.  So now I'm going to get him a maximum contract.  If 5 million was the starting point, I'll probably go up to 5.5 because what are they going to do, let Flip walk and go into the season with what they've got plus Nyquist and Tatar?  Best of luck boys, pay up or go into next season with a barely adequate top six. 

Zero chance of getting this guy on the low end of negotiations now.  Awesome.

let him walk then, I like flip but he isn't worth 5+ and tatar could easily fill the void he leaves behind offensively

Just let the little puss walk.  Soft, inconsistent, and not smart at either end of the ice.  We already screwed our chances of getting anything for him, and if Kenny wants to pay him $5 mil, then he needs his head examined.  Franzen with less size and ability.

this is a bit of a stretch, he is smart defensively, and has good offensive instincts, but doesn't shoot enough, he questions himself and second guesses himself too much, but he is a good two way forward

Edited by Euro_Twins, 03 April 2013 - 05:51 PM.

#76 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:54 PM

let him walk then, I like flip but he isn't worth 5+ and tatar could easily fill the void he leaves behind offensively

this is a bit of a stretch, he is smart defensively, and has good offensive instincts, but doesn't shoot enough, he questions himself and second guesses himself too much, but he is a good two way forward

Maybe Tatar could, but we don't know.  As it is, he played pretty well this season but had the advantage of EXTREMELY sheltered minutes.  Filppula is twice the puckhandler and MUCH stronger on his feet then Tatar is.  We have yet to see if he can put up consistent offense against top lines and top defensive pairings.  It's a big gamble to take. 

#77 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:57 PM

Maybe Tatar could, but we don't know.  As it is, he played pretty well this season but had the advantage of EXTREMELY sheltered minutes.  Filppula is twice the puckhandler and MUCH stronger on his feet then Tatar is.  We have yet to see if he can put up consistent offense against top lines and top defensive pairings.  It's a big gamble to take. 

I would not say flip is much stronger, he is afraid to go to the dirty areas to score, which we saw Tatar was not, and being a better puck handler in this case is over rated, because he tries to do to much and loses the puck, he tries to be like Datsyuk and make highlight reel dekes and just ends up turning it over, he doesn't shoot enough, and he isn't even getting assists at least. Let him walk

#78 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:58 PM

Not smart huh?  Dumber than letting him walk and seeing your top six gutted the year after having your top two defensive pairs gutted?  Flip will get a big pay day real soon.  Mark my words. 

If Holland is really, REALLY, lucky Flip will agree to a year extension at the same or a little more money and then give him his raise once the cap goes back up the following season.  But I wouldn't count on that type of shrewd management around here. 

#79 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:11 PM

Expect the worst and you won't ever be disappointed. Seems to be working good this season so far.
Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#80 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

Babcock will resign Flip for about 5.5 million as quick as possible this offseason so that he can get back out on the golf course.