evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

Saw this on HFB;

From Ottawa Sun:

Quote:
The Wings listened to offers for C Valtteri Filppula at the deadline and they had a lot of interest. Detroit decided not to move him in the end but the Penguins, Bruins, Leafs and Rangers were all trying to see if they could entice the Wings to move Filppula.

You guys know i'm normally a Holland fan, and I stick up for him. I can't jump to conclusions as much as I want, but i'm going to be a little butthurt to watch Filp walk this offseason when we could've gotten a grand return from a contender.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#122 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

I wonder if they'll be able to trade his rights on draft day to move up in the 1st round?  Our 1st + Flip for, say, Edmontons 1st?  Get to move up ~ 10 places in the draft.

Saw this on HFB;

From Ottawa Sun:

Quote:
The Wings listened to offers for C Valtteri Filppula at the deadline and they had a lot of interest. Detroit decided not to move him in the end but the Penguins, Bruins, Leafs and Rangers were all trying to see if they could entice the Wings to move Filppula.

You guys know i'm normally a Holland fan, and I stick up for him. I can't jump to conclusions as much as I want, but i'm going to be a little butthurt to watch Filp walk this offseason when we could've gotten a grand return from a contender.

Well, if that's truly the case... I'm a bit intrigued at what the pieces/prospects/picks that any of those teams were willing to give up to grab up Val.

Moving up in the draft with Fil's rights would be acceptable if he's looking for a massive payday and he's not going to re-sign here.  I've been non-plussed about his play this year, but I'm still torn about moving the guy.  If he walks and signs elsewhere without something in return, I will not be happy.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#123 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:20 AM

I still think that Ken Holland will over pay for him this off season. Fil is a great player but a pass first type of guy is not what Detroit needs to spend 4.5m+ on. As much as I would hate to see him leave he just doesn't fit for the money he is after and probably will command. 

#124 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

I am totally OK with trading him. I don't want him back here. He is a fairly good player but everyone loves to think about Flip's "upside". That's it, you're seeing it. What you see is the fully formed Flip. It's not like he is going to go to another team and start going to the dirty areas to score, shoot first, and show toughness.

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#125 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:37 AM

I am totally OK with trading him. I don't want him back here. He is a fairly good player but everyone loves to think about Flip's "upside". That's it, you're seeing it. What you see is the fully formed Flip. It's not like he is going to go to another team and start going to the dirty areas to score, shoot first, and show toughness.

Me too. Even if he would improve, I dont ever think he is going to be a $5M player. I'm tired of seeing him trying to deke three players and spin around inside the offensive blueline. Trade him at the draft and spend the money elsewhere. Jarnkrok or Nyqvist can have his spot.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#126 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

Saw this on HFB;

I love how you assume that Holland would have received a "grand return" for Filpulla. After the number of posters here who argue that Filpulla is not worth 5 Million, why would a trade offer be worthy of a "grand return"? 

Personally, I'm still a fan of Filpulla, he does good things, but I always feel like I watch a different Red Wings team than the posters here. 

#127 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

Well, if that's truly the case... I'm a bit intrigued at what the pieces/prospects/picks that any of those teams were willing to give up to grab up Val.

Moving up in the draft with Fil's rights would be acceptable if he's looking for a massive payday and he's not going to re-sign here.  I've been non-plussed about his play this year, but I'm still torn about moving the guy.  If he walks and signs elsewhere without something in return, I will not be happy.

Given how poorly Filppula has played this season, exactly how good could the offers have been?

A grand return? For a guy who is currently playing at the level of a third-line center?

#128 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

Given how poorly Filppula has played this season, exactly how good could the offers have been?

A grand return? For a guy who is currently playing at the level of a third-line center?

Probably not a "grand return," (lol!) but my interest is always piqued when these types of statements come to the surface... especially when there is a chance that Fil walks.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#129 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,012 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

Probably not a "grand return," (lol!) but my interest is always piqued when these types of statements come to the surface... especially when there is a chance that Fil walks.

Exactly.   It's a gamble for sure.  Fil hadn't developed the way everyone has hoped, but you also don't want to lose a decent player for nothing. Especially for a team in rebuild mode. 

#130 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

Saw this on HFB;

As long as he didn't go to the Penguins, Canucks or Sharks, I wanted him to move at the deadline.  Wait for him to be in Calgary next year with Hudler.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#131 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

I'm sure it was a tough decision. But consider that if we could have gotten a healthy Helm, Bertuzzi, and Samuelsson back in timely fashion, a trip to the 2nd round or beyond was not out of the question.

#132 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

I honestly think he would've atleast brought in a 2nd/3rd round pick... normally anything is better than allowing them to walk for free over the summer. Center's don't grow on trees and many teams desire to add more center depth, it's the one positive you can never have enough of. Maybe I falsely used "grand", sure, but he would've gotten us a nice return regardless of this seasons performance.

In the end, we're just going to speculate because we don't know what the offers were. That's exactly why I said I'm not going to jump to conclusions immediately. 

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.