• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#121 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

I am cautiously optimistic that Dan is going to make a good impact with the Wings.  Maybe not this season, but probably next season.  Still, at this point, its great to have a top prospect on the team.  :)

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#122 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

His first interview.

"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#123 Chelios57

Chelios57

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:56 PM

Haha, yup.  This guy's happy to be here.

Atlanta Thrashers: 1999-2011

WINTER CLASSIC 2013

"When you want to measure yourself, you don't measure yourself against, no disrespect to TORONTO or any other team that I can think of right now, you measure yourself against the Detroit Red Wings. They are the best in the league, and whether they won last year's Cup or didn't win last year's Cup, they're the measuring stick." - Bruce Boudreau

#124 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

His first interview.

I like how he signed with us because Lidstrom called him lol. The perfect human making an impact even after retirement!

1619431_10152076754861235_68631640462286

#125 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

Its not Holland that is trying to replace Lids - its Lids in the background with a phone.

#126 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

Thank you Nick. :) 

#127 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

I like how he signed with us because Lidstrom called him lol. The perfect human making an impact even after retirement!

By all accounts, there were numerous other factors playing into him signing here also.

Edited by Crymson, 30 March 2013 - 07:15 PM.

#128 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:42 PM

I am cautiously optimistic that Dan is going to make a good impact with the Wings.  Maybe not this season, but probably next season.  Still, at this point, its great to have a top prospect on the team.  :)

I think Smith and Dekeyser could be a very nice pairing for at least another decade. Really happy he is signed, way to go Dekeyser!

Lidström is even doing great things for this organization after retirement, just a walking legend. Loved the interview guy is coming off very smart and calm.

Edited by frankgrimes, 30 March 2013 - 04:53 PM.

lidsretire2.jpg

Thank you so much perfect human being #5

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

Phase I: injury rattled roster Phase II: BABCOCK Phase III: Playoffs XXIII !

#129 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:37 PM

I think Smith and Dekeyser could be a very nice pairing for at least another decade. Really happy he is signed, way to go Dekeyser!

Lidström is even doing great things for this organization after retirement, just a walking legend. Loved the interview guy is coming off very smart and calm.

And according to the scouting reports, that's how he plays

#130 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:18 PM

By all accounts, there were numerous other factors playing into him signing here also.

ya, that's true, there was the fact that Lidstrom flew in to meet him too :P

#131 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

ya, that's true, there was the fact that Lidstrom flew in to meet him too :P

He met Lidstrom only today.

#132 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:13 PM

Yeah Smith would have to start playing defense, or scoring, or something in order for me to get excited about that.  As of right now I'm MUCH more excited about Kindl than I am about Smith.  As such, Kindl and Dekeyser might be something to get pumped about. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#133 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:43 PM

He met Lidstrom only today.

Are you the grinch? 

#134 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:56 PM

Are you the grinch? 

I don't see how stating a simple fact qualifies one as a downer.

#135 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:46 AM

Yeah Smith would have to start playing defense, or scoring, or something in order for me to get excited about that.  As of right now I'm MUCH more excited about Kindl than I am about Smith.  As such, Kindl and Dekeyser might be something to get pumped about. 

Smith's playing his first season in the NHL as a defenseman, a position that traditionally takes a lot longer to fully develop than a forward.

Just because he hasn't yet lived up to the unrealistic expectations that were thrown upon him by excited fans doesn't mean it is time to give up on him yet. 

Kindl has indeed been playing great, but was not playing any better than Smith in his first NHL season. Smith's upside also far exceeds Kindl's.

In any event, it is great to have a good stock of young D players and prospects. Future on D is looking brighter than it has in a while. 

Posted Image

#136 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:40 AM

I don't see how stating a simple fact qualifies one as a downer.

you're almost always a downer

#137 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,557 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:15 AM

Smith's playing his first season in the NHL as a defenseman, a position that traditionally takes a lot longer to fully develop than a forward.

Just because he hasn't yet lived up to the unrealistic expectations that were thrown upon him by excited fans doesn't mean it is time to give up on him yet. 

Kindl has indeed been playing great, but was not playing any better than Smith in his first NHL season. Smith's upside also far exceeds Kindl's.

In any event, it is great to have a good stock of young D players and prospects. Future on D is looking brighter than it has in a while. 

Agreed. 

It's great to see Kindl finally holding a roster spot, but he and Lashoff are basically playing #5/6 d-man minutes.  Lashoff being the defensive D man who plays on the PK while Kindl plays on the PP.  

As you mention, Smith has only played 37 games in the NHL (14 were from last season) and while he's certainly had his mistakes, he's already playing a bigger role than Kindl.  Smith plays more minutes, plays on the PK and on the PP.  There will be growing pains, but there's absolutely a lot more upside with Smith.  

It's too bad that White has faltered because with all these fairly young guys on D, what the Wings are missing is a seasoned vet to stabilize things out there.

#138 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:02 PM

Seems like we may get a look at DeKeyser come Thursday: 

Babcock had hinted that he will be playing, but it'll be between Quincey and DeKeyser. That is, if Quincey can actually play.

Defenseman Kyle Quincey (fractured cheek bone) said he hopes to be ready to play Thursday in Phoenix.

“Is that what he said?'' Babcock said. “I think (Danny) DeKeyser thinks he’s playing Thursday as well, so it’ll be a battle. I like having too many (defensemen).''

Carlo is also in tonight, paired with Smitty.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#139 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

Take it easy there fellas, all I'm saying is that I'm more impressed with Kindl this season, not that Smith is going to be garbage.  Fact is, Smith will get better, but the scouting report on him was always "offensive defenseman with upside.  Needs to learn to play the defensive part of the game".  So far in his rookie season he's been neither offensive, defensive, or anything else aside from a pretty awesome skater. 

He'll be good, but it's going to take a while. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#140 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

Agreed. 

It's great to see Kindl finally holding a roster spot, but he and Lashoff are basically playing #5/6 d-man minutes.  Lashoff being the defensive D man who plays on the PK while Kindl plays on the PP.  

As you mention, Smith has only played 37 games in the NHL (14 were from last season) and while he's certainly had his mistakes, he's already playing a bigger role than Kindl.  Smith plays more minutes, plays on the PK and on the PP.  There will be growing pains, but there's absolutely a lot more upside with Smith.  

It's too bad that White has faltered because with all these fairly young guys on D, what the Wings are missing is a seasoned vet to stabilize things out there.

I think you're overstating your case a little bit.  Kindl averages 17:54 minutes per night, Smith 18:41.  It's the difference of about one shift a game.  Both Kindl and Smith play on the 2nd PP, and both have seen (some) PK time.  Although both of their contributions to the PK should not be overstated as Ericsson, Kronwall, and Quincey (when healthy) are the primary penalty killing defensemen. 

If Kindl is playing 5/6th minutes then Smith is too.

Finally, I think Smith will be a good player in this league in a few years.  Just like Kindl is turning into now.  My whole point was that THIS SEASON, Smith's game has not been as impressive as billed.  He neither scores nor plays solid defense, which was true of Kindl when he was 24 as well.