• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Serratoni

Wings sign D Dan DeKeyser to 2-year deal

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

I like how he signed with us because Lidstrom called him lol. The perfect human making an impact even after retirement!

By all accounts, there were numerous other factors playing into him signing here also.

Edited by Crymson

I am cautiously optimistic that Dan is going to make a good impact with the Wings. Maybe not this season, but probably next season. Still, at this point, its great to have a top prospect on the team. :)

I think Smith and Dekeyser could be a very nice pairing for at least another decade. Really happy he is signed, way to go Dekeyser!

Lidström is even doing great things for this organization after retirement, just a walking legend. Loved the interview guy is coming off very smart and calm.

Edited by frankgrimes

Guest Johnz96

I think Smith and Dekeyser could be a very nice pairing for at least another decade. Really happy he is signed, way to go Dekeyser!

Lidström is even doing great things for this organization after retirement, just a walking legend. Loved the interview guy is coming off very smart and calm.

And according to the scouting reports, that's how he plays

Guest Crymson

ya, that's true, there was the fact that Lidstrom flew in to meet him too :P

He met Lidstrom only today.

Yeah Smith would have to start playing defense, or scoring, or something in order for me to get excited about that. As of right now I'm MUCH more excited about Kindl than I am about Smith. As such, Kindl and Dekeyser might be something to get pumped about.

Guest Crymson

Are you the grinch?

I don't see how stating a simple fact qualifies one as a downer.

Yeah Smith would have to start playing defense, or scoring, or something in order for me to get excited about that. As of right now I'm MUCH more excited about Kindl than I am about Smith. As such, Kindl and Dekeyser might be something to get pumped about.

Smith's playing his first season in the NHL as a defenseman, a position that traditionally takes a lot longer to fully develop than a forward.

Just because he hasn't yet lived up to the unrealistic expectations that were thrown upon him by excited fans doesn't mean it is time to give up on him yet.

Kindl has indeed been playing great, but was not playing any better than Smith in his first NHL season. Smith's upside also far exceeds Kindl's.

In any event, it is great to have a good stock of young D players and prospects. Future on D is looking brighter than it has in a while.

Smith's playing his first season in the NHL as a defenseman, a position that traditionally takes a lot longer to fully develop than a forward.

Just because he hasn't yet lived up to the unrealistic expectations that were thrown upon him by excited fans doesn't mean it is time to give up on him yet.

Kindl has indeed been playing great, but was not playing any better than Smith in his first NHL season. Smith's upside also far exceeds Kindl's.

In any event, it is great to have a good stock of young D players and prospects. Future on D is looking brighter than it has in a while.

Agreed.

It's great to see Kindl finally holding a roster spot, but he and Lashoff are basically playing #5/6 d-man minutes. Lashoff being the defensive D man who plays on the PK while Kindl plays on the PP.

As you mention, Smith has only played 37 games in the NHL (14 were from last season) and while he's certainly had his mistakes, he's already playing a bigger role than Kindl. Smith plays more minutes, plays on the PK and on the PP. There will be growing pains, but there's absolutely a lot more upside with Smith.

It's too bad that White has faltered because with all these fairly young guys on D, what the Wings are missing is a seasoned vet to stabilize things out there.

Seems like we may get a look at DeKeyser come Thursday:

Babcock had hinted that he will be playing, but it'll be between Quincey and DeKeyser. That is, if Quincey can actually play.

Defenseman Kyle Quincey (fractured cheek bone) said he hopes to be ready to play Thursday in Phoenix.

“Is that what he said?'' Babcock said. “I think (Danny) DeKeyser thinks he’s playing Thursday as well, so it’ll be a battle. I like having too many (defensemen).''

Carlo is also in tonight, paired with Smitty.

Take it easy there fellas, all I'm saying is that I'm more impressed with Kindl this season, not that Smith is going to be garbage. Fact is, Smith will get better, but the scouting report on him was always "offensive defenseman with upside. Needs to learn to play the defensive part of the game". So far in his rookie season he's been neither offensive, defensive, or anything else aside from a pretty awesome skater.

He'll be good, but it's going to take a while.

Agreed.

It's great to see Kindl finally holding a roster spot, but he and Lashoff are basically playing #5/6 d-man minutes. Lashoff being the defensive D man who plays on the PK while Kindl plays on the PP.

As you mention, Smith has only played 37 games in the NHL (14 were from last season) and while he's certainly had his mistakes, he's already playing a bigger role than Kindl. Smith plays more minutes, plays on the PK and on the PP. There will be growing pains, but there's absolutely a lot more upside with Smith.

It's too bad that White has faltered because with all these fairly young guys on D, what the Wings are missing is a seasoned vet to stabilize things out there.

I think you're overstating your case a little bit. Kindl averages 17:54 minutes per night, Smith 18:41. It's the difference of about one shift a game. Both Kindl and Smith play on the 2nd PP, and both have seen (some) PK time. Although both of their contributions to the PK should not be overstated as Ericsson, Kronwall, and Quincey (when healthy) are the primary penalty killing defensemen.

If Kindl is playing 5/6th minutes then Smith is too.

Finally, I think Smith will be a good player in this league in a few years. Just like Kindl is turning into now. My whole point was that THIS SEASON, Smith's game has not been as impressive as billed. He neither scores nor plays solid defense, which was true of Kindl when he was 24 as well.

Just realized something. DeKeyser was signed to a 2 year deal, but aren't Entry Level Contracts 3 years?

I believe they max out at 3 years. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I had thought age could play in ELC's, and due to DeKeyser being 23 when he signed his, his may be maxed at 2?

Did some research and yes, that is correct:

Players between the ages of 18 and 21 must sign "entry-level" contracts for their first three NHL seasons. Those aged 22-23 are entry-level players for two years, those aged 24 for a single year.

Edited by evilzyme