• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DetroitRedWings1993

DetroitRedWings1993

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:11 PM

As most of you probably already know, DeKeyser signed with the Wings around 4:30 this afternoon.  The sweepstakes went, in my opinion, exactly the way the Suter sweepstakes went, with a decidedly different result.

I love this move, but I have very tempered optimism about what to expect from DeKeyser.

First off, he's a stay-at-home defenseman at heart.  He's big, makes a great first pass, and has excellent range and vision.  He's not going to make the power-play as deadly as it used to be or magically make the offense consistent.

Second, he hasn't played one game in the NHL.  Not only that, but defensemen generally take longer to fully develop than forwards do.  Having said that, all I hear about is how NHL-ready he is.  Time will certainly tell.

I expect him to get into the lineup and log some minutes.  I expect him not to be a total disaster and make us regret every penny and second we spent on him.

I do not, however, expect him to solve our problems.  Anyone who watched the San Jose disaster knows that one hot prospect is not going to make this team strong for the playoffs.

Come to think of it...they may never be strong for the playoffs.

Edited by DetroitRedWings1993, 29 March 2013 - 09:11 PM.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is rated PG-13 for epic battle sequences.

#2 Adidarw

Adidarw

All Day I Dream About Red Wings

• HoF Booster
  • 418 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:40 PM

This is no longer a rumor and there is discussion about Dekeyser signing with Detroit under General Discussion.