• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DetroitRedWings1993

DeKeyser signs with the Red Wings

Rate this topic

As most of you probably already know, DeKeyser signed with the Wings around 4:30 this afternoon. The sweepstakes went, in my opinion, exactly the way the Suter sweepstakes went, with a decidedly different result.

I love this move, but I have very tempered optimism about what to expect from DeKeyser.

First off, he's a stay-at-home defenseman at heart. He's big, makes a great first pass, and has excellent range and vision. He's not going to make the power-play as deadly as it used to be or magically make the offense consistent.

Second, he hasn't played one game in the NHL. Not only that, but defensemen generally take longer to fully develop than forwards do. Having said that, all I hear about is how NHL-ready he is. Time will certainly tell.

I expect him to get into the lineup and log some minutes. I expect him not to be a total disaster and make us regret every penny and second we spent on him.

I do not, however, expect him to solve our problems. Anyone who watched the San Jose disaster knows that one hot prospect is not going to make this team strong for the playoffs.

Come to think of it...they may never be strong for the playoffs.

Edited by DetroitRedWings1993