• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
nyqvististhefuture

Huskins to Flyers for conditional 7th rd pick (2014)

Rate this topic

This ought to tell you that the team has too many defenseman. Ten is a difficult number. That number is now nine, which is still difficult.

Well Babcock wouldn't of given the ok to get rid of Huskins if they didn't think Deke was NHL ready.

In addition to all the JBow talk its difficult not to get excited

Well Babcock wouldn't of given the ok to get rid of Huskins if they didn't think Deke was NHL ready.

In addition to all the JBow talk its difficult not to get excited

I don't know if we get Jbo, with a 6.68 million cap hit, we would need to dump salary for next season, and I don't see that happening, especially with raises going to jimmy, Brunner, andersson, nyquist, kindl, and smith, and especially our #1 priority Cleary, we just won't have money for that plus an extra 6.68 million. say we dumped, cleary, white, filppula, and miller, and bought out sammy, and colaiacovo, that would leave us with just enough money for jbo, then there is the issue of finding top 6 talent...

Glad to see Husky gets another chance to play on a nightly basis. He came in when we were losing Defensemen on a nightly basis, and was solid when he played. Not a top pairing guy, but a solid 5/6 guy, which was exactly what we needed.

Good luck, Husky. Give the Penguins hell!

I don't know if we get Jbo, with a 6.68 million cap hit, we would need to dump salary for next season, and I don't see that happening, especially with raises going to jimmy, Brunner, andersson, nyquist, kindl, and smith, and especially our #1 priority Cleary, we just won't have money for that plus an extra 6.68 million. say we dumped, cleary, white, filppula, and miller, and bought out sammy, and colaiacovo, that would leave us with just enough money for jbo, then there is the issue of finding top 6 talent...

The new CBA allows for salary retention in trades so, similar to baseball, the Flames could and likely would eat some of his contract.

The Wings get the pick if Huskins plays in five games for the Flayers.

Where did you read this? I read on some Philly news site that the Wings get the pick if Huskins re-signs with Philly for the 13/14 before Oct. 1st. Wonder which one it is?

Regardless of what the Wings get, the deal is good for both sides. Wings open up a spot on the roster by unloading a player taking up a spot that probably wouldn't have seen much (if any) action for the rest of the season. The Flyers on the other hand, have recently been hit with an injury bug on their blueline and get a serviceable 3rd pairing dman. For Huskins, he gets a shot at auditioning for an NHL job next season by getting into some games.

I doubt Holland will make any more moves right now, even though the Wings still have one extra player on the roster. It'll probably be Nyquist getting re-assigned since it sounds like both Franzen and Samuelsson are good to go for tommorow.

Guest Crymson

The new CBA allows for salary retention in trades so, similar to baseball, the Flames could and likely would eat some of his contract.

If they were to eat $3.3m, yay. But I really doubt they'd do that.

If they were to eat $3.3m, yay. But I really doubt they'd do that.

Even though Calgary can eat part of his salary, I think the cap hit would remain the same. So Detroit would basically save only on real dollars paid and not on cap space. A team like the Wings wouldn't give up more assets in a trade just to help their owner out financially.

Not 100% sure if the cap hit remains the same though. Anyone have some insight?

ughhh we get a pick if he resigns with flyers i knew it was too good to be true ... goodbye 7th rd pick :( lol

The Production Line @TPLhockey 1h

If Philadelphia chooses to re-sign Huskins, the Red Wings will receive Philadelphia's 7th round pick in 2014.

Retweeted by George Malik
Edited by nyqvististhefuture

We have 7 Dmen on the roster. Q is on the IR and Cola is in GR. The roster expands Thursday. We don't HAVE to do anything. That being said, I HOPE we do something like say, FIND SOME FORWARDS that can score!

I don't think we want Oveckin with his cap hit and his career decline.

Eh, I'll take a flyer on a once in a generation two time Hart winning superstar and pair up 2 of the top 3 russian players of the last 10 years. His career decline is masively overrated. Still under 30 playing in a defensive first dump and chase team (why that is I'll have no idea). You can have your cap-restricted by a lot worse options.

Guest Crymson

Eh, I'll take a flyer on a once in a generation two time Hart winning superstar and pair up 2 of the top 3 russian players of the last 10 years. His career decline is masively overrated. Still under 30 playing in a defensive first dump and chase team (why that is I'll have no idea). You can have your cap-restricted by a lot worse options.

There is a much more compelling argument than the system in which he is playing, namely that he has been figured out by other teams.

Guest Johnz96

There is a much more compelling argument than the system in which he is playing, namely that he has been figured out by other teams.

They haven't figured him out too good, he is still on a 40 goal pace over 82 games

Guest Crymson

They haven't figured him out too good, he is still on a 40 goal pace over 82 games

For $9.5m---the highest cap hit of any player in the league---he'd better be doing much more than that. He was given that giant contract with the impression that he would continue putting up seasons of 100+ points. Last year, he had 65 points to go along with his poor defensive play. Not good enough.

Ovechkin can still score, but other teams now know how to keep him from dominating as he used to.

Edited by Crymson

For $9.5m---the highest cap hit of any player in the league---he'd better be doing much more than that. He was given that giant contract with the impression that he would continue putting up seasons of 100+ points. Last year, he had 65 points to go along with his poor defensive play. Not good enough.

Ovechkin can still score, but other teams now know how to keep him from dominating as he used to.

I'm not sure this is completely true. Granted there is some degree of "figuring out" with pretty much any player, but the fact that he's essentially the only real scoring threat on his team makes a difference too. It's not too hard to figure out that if you want to beat Washington you just need to key on Ovi. If Backstrom, Laich, Brouwer, or Semin (in years past) can beat you without him then good luck to them, but it never happened.

If declining point production were directly attributable to getting "figured out" then Datsyuk and Zetterberg would be subject to the same kinds of criticisms given that their production has dropped sharply as well.

But I do agree that he's expensive and doesn't play defense, can't argue there.

Edited by kipwinger

Guest Johnz96

He is pretty good defensively and nobody's going to score 100 points any more playing a defensive system with the much bigger goalie equipment.

I would rather pay him 9.5 than pay Bouwmesster 6.8, Ovechkin is still an impact player. I agree 9.5 is too much though but I would take him anyway for the Wings and I am confident he would be putting up 50 goal seasons with the Wings.

Guest Crymson

I'm not sure this is completely true. Granted there is some degree of "figuring out" with pretty much any player, but the fact that he's essentially the only real scoring threat on his team makes a difference too. It's not too hard to figure out that if you want to beat Washington you just need to key on Ovi. If Backstrom, Laich, Brouwer, or Semin (in years past) can beat you without him then good luck to them, but it never happened.

If declining point production were directly attributable to getting "figured out" then Datsyuk and Zetterberg would be subject to the same kinds of criticisms given that their production has dropped sharply as well.

But I do agree that he's expensive and doesn't play defense, can't argue there.

Ovechkin is a one-trick pony. He gets most of his goals from being left unopened to unleash that cannon of his either in the zone or on the rush. Datsyuk and Zetterberg are far more versatile.

This is an excellent article on the subject.

He is pretty good defensively and nobody's going to score 100 points any more playing a defensive system with the much bigger goalie equipment.

I would rather pay him 9.5 than pay Bouwmesster 6.8, Ovechkin is still an impact player. I agree 9.5 is too much though but I would take him anyway for the Wings and I am confident he would be putting up 50 goal seasons with the Wings.

He is not at all good defensively, and his ability to score has always depended in moderate part upon being able to quickly go on the rush from the defensive zone. That does not lend itself to defensive play.

With Backstrom feeding him, there's no reason why he shouldn't be able to score a lot.

Edited by Crymson