• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

Teams in 2013 Salary Crunch

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

I've found it interesting to look at teams that will be in cap trouble come the offseason, so I figured I'd list some examples. Note that the expiring contracts include only those of players who are currently in the NHL, and that the cap space is that which will exist after the listed contracts expire.

Anaheim

Cap space: $10.8m

Expiring contracts:

Selanne

Koivu

Steckel

Palmieri (RFA)

Bilesky (RFA)

Lydman

Lovejoy

Vancouver

Cap space: $3.9m (yikes!)

Expiring contracts:

Malhotra

Raymond

Higgins

Schroeder (RFA)

Lapierre

Weise (RFA)

Sestito (RFA)

Ebbett

Pinizzotto

Gordon

Alberts

Barker

NYR

Cap space: $11m

Expiring contracts:

Stepan (RFA)

Hagelin (RFA)

Zuccarello (RFA)

Hamrlik

McDonagh (RFA)

Sauer (RFA)

Eminger

Gilroy

Philadelphia

Cap space: $2.2m

Expiring Contracts:

Gagne

Fedotenko

Shelley

Knuble

Zolnierczyk

Rinaldo

Walker

Foster

Gustafsson

Huskins

Lauridsen

Leighton

Chicago

Cap space: $4.5m

Expiring contracts:

Kruger (RFA)

Stalberg

Mayers

Bickell

Roszival

Leddy (RFA)

Emery

Pittsburgh, Montreal, Tampa, and Boston may also be forced to make some changes.

There will be some big names bought out this summer. IIRC the 2 buyouts have to be used this year. This is the last chance for teams to free themselves of the bad contracts on there books. One of the reasons we should dump franzen-we have the chance to.

TB will also be a team to watch in this regard.

There will be some big names bought out this summer. IIRC the 2 buyouts have to be used this year. This is the last chance for teams to free themselves of the bad contracts on there books. One of the reasons we should dump franzen-we have the chance to.

TB will also be a team to watch in this regard.

The talk of Franzen getting bought-out is so ignorant and asinine it's unbelievable. Fun conjecture for knee-jerk reaction fans i guess.

The talk of Franzen getting bought-out is so ignorant and asinine it's unbelievable. Fun conjecture for knee-jerk reaction fans i guess.

Franzen should be bought out. Why? To send a message that you can have all the talent in the world, but if you take entire games off, you have no place on the team.

Franzen should be bought out. Why? To send a message that you can have all the talent in the world, but if you take entire games off, you have no place on the team.

This message would cost Wings about $15M (over 14 years). Plus they would need to find a replacement and pay that guy. Does not look like a good transaction.

If Wings want to buy somebody out they should go for Samuelsson. He got just one year left.

The Wings don't have to buy somebody out, you can just send them to the Griffins and get rid off their salary.

As for teams in cap crunch, keep in mind the cap will go up after next season again so we are talking about a one year transition period here.

nope, you send an nhl player down and you are still going to have their cap hit, minus like a small percentage

While I agree 100%, it's unlikely this will happen because you can't buy out an injured player.

Sammy's not hurt. Or maybe you're just expecting him to be hurt by the end of the year...

The Wings don't have to buy somebody out, you can just send them to the Griffins and get rid off their salary.

As for teams in cap crunch, keep in mind the cap will go up after next season again so we are talking about a one year transition period here.

For the cap to go up from $64.3M, league-wide revenue would have to be over $3.7B. That's a fairly large increase even if the lockout didn't do any damage.

It's certainly possible it could happen, but I wouldn't count on it. Either way, a possible cap increase in the future won't help anyone next year.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($2.550m)
Bobby Ryan ($5.100m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Gustav Nyquist ($1.000m)
Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)
Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
Martin Frk ($0.925m)
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Jay Bouwmeester ($6.012m—10.0%) / Brendan Smith ($1.261m)
Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m) / Jakub Kindl ($1.250m)
Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($4.800m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.000m)
Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,200,754; BONUSES: $1,217,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,316,746

I like the look of that roster, add subtract what you want to get bobby ryan and bouwmeester there, but assuming we could get both, that is roughly how our roster would have to look to keep our team cap friendly

Edited by Euro_Twins

Carolina, Boston, San Jose, and Tampa Bay all have just around $1M / roster spot to fill (going by rosters listed on Capgeek). Most have all their key spots filled, but still candidates to dump salary.

From what I heard in Tampa recently, there have been suggestions to buy-out Vinny. Not sure Yzerman would do that though. If he does though, that takes off a lot of pressure