• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest esmeralda575

Mr Holland.....

Rate this topic

I'd like to see a reporter ask Holland what his definition of 'transition' year is.

Because to me, that definition isn't 'lets let all of our talent age and leave while we hope somebody we drafted becomes a superstar.'

To transition, you need to get help. You don't just hope your young players getting good barely overlaps with your good players getting bad.

I agreed that rentals weren't the way to go, buy how could Gaborik not have helped in a transition? Pominville?

Our prospects are good, but we will be very lucky if one of them turns into a star. So most likely outcome is we will have a solid team for years, but without trades and UFA signings we won't be a great one.

I'm baffled by standing pat this year. Last year made sense, but this just reeks of a missed opportunity. It was a good deadline for a lot of teams. These windows don't open often in the new NHL. Is the UFA class so great this summer?

And the Wings equivalent to what was traded for Gaborik, whom most thought would require our 1st, is as follows:

Filppula, White, Eaves and a 6th. That's essentially what the Rangers got for him.

And the Wings equivalent to what was traded for Gaborik, whom most thought would require our 1st, is as follows:

Filppula, White, Eaves and a 6th. That's essentially what the Rangers got for him.

Umm noo.

Brassard is a .55 PPG 25 year old on a 3 million dollar deal. His value is Filppula++.they are close in terms of actual player skill, but not in contract value.

and comparing John Moore to White is laughable. White isn't a 22 year old first round pick playing in his second season. He's a good young defenseman, that's defensively responsible. His value is between Smith/Lashoff. Mainly because of the RFA deal and age.

And comparing Eaves to Dorsett is close in terms of point production, but absolutely not in terms of toughness and leadership, columbus fans are flipping out the most about losing this guy more than anybody else. It's hard to compare him to anyone on the Red Wings, he's Tootoo with better defensive hockey IQ(plays much more PK), and outstanding leadership(A).

Realistically I don't think the Rangers would want what we could offer. They required roster players, Filpulla's value is not high being he'd be a rental, so you would have to add value on the defensive slot and they want Smith, we would try Kindl. So right now the Wing's are looking at Filppula, Kindl, and the 3rd part of the deal is tricky, who could dorsett be a replacement for? Remember Filppula's value isn't as high as Brassards, and Kindl's value is around equal, or less than Moore's, so I'd have to imagine they would want an improvement over Dorsett, they wouldn't ask for Eaves, Abby, Miller no, they would ask for Helm. And sorry that's not happening.

Wings just weren't a good dance partner for New York. And people crying about signing injury riddled players like Samuelsson, Bertuzzi, Cola etc. would be flipping s*** if we traded away 3 roster players for a 32 year old 7.5 million dollar forward that is producing less than Samuelsson did last year, and his back/hip/groin starts to act up. Gaborik is a risky player, his injury history is extensive to say the least, and if he goes down the wings are not only out a top winger, but 7.5 million in cap, and 3 roster players.

While the risk for Sammy was just 3 million cap, and a secondary scorer, much less risky.

The only way I wanted Gaborik is if we traded away prospects, because the risk would be lessened, we wouldn't be a worse team if he goes down.

I predict next year is the year we break our streak in the playoffs. Yes we are finally playing most of our games in our time zone. BUT, all the other teams around us has just re-loaded and re-tooled over the summer and trade deadline, while our GM played bubble hockey with Babcock and talked about grilling some food this summer when they go golfing in Late April. This my friends is the end of a great franchise, back to the "dead wings" we go. See you again in 40 years at the next cup celebration.

I predict next year is the year we break our streak in the playoffs. Yes we are finally playing most of our games in our time zone. BUT, all the other teams around us has just re-loaded and re-tooled over the summer and trade deadline, while our GM played bubble hockey with Babcock and talked about grilling some food this summer when they go golfing in Late April. This my friends is the end of a great franchise, back to the "dead wings" we go. See you again in 40 years at the next cup celebration.

Yikes, Tampa just traded away their 4th leading scorer and youngest player, Toronto still has no goalie, Florida did nothing like usual, Buffalo traded away their captain for prospects, Boston traded for Jagr and Redden(looking good for the 03 stanley cup not so much next year). Really Ottawa is the only one that really improved much.

Just because we didn't go after doesn't signal the demise of a great franchise.

You know what would? If we traded away Jarnkrok and Mrazek to Buffalo for pominville. Then Buffalo turns around and traded Miller for a huge scorer. And the Jarnkrok develops into the #1 center adn Mrazek turns into a Vezina candidate and we have to face them 4 times a year in division. That would be pretty s***ty no?

Yikes, Tampa just traded away their 4th leading scorer and youngest player, Toronto still has no goalie, Florida did nothing like usual, Buffalo traded away their captain for prospects, Boston traded for Jagr and Redden(looking good for the 03 stanley cup not so much next year). Really Ottawa is the only one that really improved much.

Just because we didn't go after doesn't signal the demise of a great franchise.

You know what would? If we traded away Jarnkrok and Mrazek to Buffalo for pominville. Then Buffalo turns around and traded Miller for a huge scorer. And the Jarnkrok develops into the #1 center adn Mrazek turns into a Vezina candidate and we have to face them 4 times a year in division. That would be pretty s***ty no?

Yeah, in that dream world it would be. Pretty sure Jarnkrok is not projected to be a number 1 center and Mrazek a Vezina candidate (would be sweet tho!). I think sherwood40 is using a hint of sarcasm here. Many of us might be complaining about being a treadmill team but I don't think anyone here is expecting a 40 year cup drought.

Ryan Clowe got his first 2 goals of the season agains the Penguins. Holland sure missed the boat on that slug. :lol:

He sure did, 3 point night. The guy just needed to change teams to catch fire. He's a hell of a player, perfect for the Wings.

Wow, that's pretty much just a list of 3rd and 4th liners and 5th and 6th defensemen. Awesome. Can't wait to not acquire a scoring winger in the offseason as well. Thank god Nyquist is the answer to that problem...oh wait...nevermind.

Yeah lots of guys around the age of 35 and towards the back end of their careers on that list. I however think it'd be nice to acquire Horton and/or Clarkson. They're both physical and Horton is a right handed shot which we need. I think both are far fetched ideas but I'd love to have Horton.

Guest Crymson

He sure did, 3 point night. The guy just needed to change teams to catch fire. He's a hell of a player, perfect for the Wings.

Oh really? First he made a pass to a wide-open Richards, then he got a gift puck right in front of Fleury for a goal, and then later on he got the puck for a tap-in into a wide-open net.

If that constitutes "catching fire," then I think Manhattan should save money by closing a few fire stations.

Edited by Crymson

Guest Johnz96

Yeah lots of guys around the age of 35 and towards the back end of their careers on that list. I however think it'd be nice to acquire Horton and/or Clarkson. They're both physical and Horton is a right handed shot which we need. I think both are far fetched ideas but I'd love to have Horton.

I think Holland wants a power forward.

Either one of those guys would be great additions. Maybe Iginla will realize that Crosby's a ****** and might be available. I think if we can get a bona fide power forward for the top 6, Ericcson continues to develop and if Smith, Kindl and/or Deke (can't wait to see him play) could develop into good top 4 d-men, and/or add a solid vet on d that we could be a Cup favorite next year.

And get rid of some of the excess baggage

Datsyuk-Brunner-Clakson/Horton/Iginla

Zetterberg-Franzen-Filppula

Helm-Nyquist-Tatar

Abdelkader-Tootoo-Samuelsson/Anderson

Kronwall-Ericsson

Smith-Kindl

Dekeyser/Robidas-Quincey/Lashoff

Edited by Johnz96

Guest Hatethedrake!

I think Holland wants a power forward.

Either one of those guys would be great additions. Maybe Iginla will realize that Crosby's a ****** and might be available. I think if we can get a bona fide power forward for the top 6, Ericcson continues to develop and if Smith, Kindl and/or Deke (can't wait to see him play) could develop into good top 4 d-men, and/or add a solid vet on d that we could be a Cup favorite next year.

And get rid of some of the excess baggage

Datsyuk-Brunner-Clakson/Horton/Iginla

Zetterberg-Franzen-Filppula

Helm-Nyquist-Tatar

Abdelkader-Tootoo-Samuelsson/Anderson

Kronwall-Ericsson

Smith-Kindl

Dekeyser/Robidas-Quincey/Lashoff

That Datsyuk-Brunner-Clarkson-Horton-Iginla line would seriously wreck shop. Strength in numbers. Get it done Kenny or you're fired, signed LGW. :lol:

Because the Wings didn't tank it for a decade like all of the teams who employee these guys? Instead, they have Datsyuk and Zetterberg who were sixth and seventh round picks and are arguably better than everyone on this list. Datsyuk is BY far the most underrated player in the league and should be a hart canidite year in a and year out but that will never happen as long as Cindy is still playing( And yes I truely HATE SIndey Crosby. More than I hated claude and the avs. I think he is a cheapshot crybaby and wish he woul retire already.

Guest Johnz96

That Datsyuk-Brunner-Clarkson-Horton-Iginla line would seriously wreck shop. Strength in numbers. Get it done Kenny or you're fired, signed LGW. :lol:

One of Clarkson, Horton or Iginla. Lol