• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

#161 pondrocket

pondrocket

Rookie

• Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:02 PM

I don't think that Mike Ilitch is fully aware of much that's going on around him, sadly. Age has taken its toll.

Mike is completely aware.  Critique the teams performance, vent about your dissipointment it's all well and good.  We all appreciate th Wings and or hockey in general but to be so personally insulting about someone that has contributed to Hockey and fans of Detroit hockey is irresponsible.  It's too bad.

If Holland stands pat at this deadline, then I'm joining the "Fire Holland" crowd. 

Welcome to the club

#162 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

Fire Holland

Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#163 alienanxiety

alienanxiety

Medical

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

Flog Holland.

#164 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

Fire Holland? Fire Battman, Fire this, fire that.... HA!

If Detroit Red Wings or/and the league itself, are to be managed by majority vote on this board or any other group of random people for that matter, there would be no NHL, no Red Wings.... and no this board :)

Move on!

Edited by ami, 03 April 2013 - 02:20 PM.

#165 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

Until the Wings miss the playoffs for a couple seasons, and Mike Babcock is fired there won't even be a discussion about replacing Holland.

Keep dreaming guys.

#166 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

Seems to be we need to follow everyone else's formula to get good players: tank for four to five years to get your core players then add role players around them. Obviously Ken doesn't wanna give up anyone in trades and can't seem to lure in big time FA's anymore.

#167 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

I wonder if Kenny is now going to try and re-sign Flip now that he wasn't traded.

IPB Image

#168 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

I wonder if Kenny is now going to try and re-sign Flip now that he wasn't traded.

I would think so.  Otherwise he definitely should've traded him in some deal before he lost Flip for nothing.

#169 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,264 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

I would think so.  Otherwise he definitely should've traded him in some deal before he lost Flip for nothing.

hudler...  :clap:

#170 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,520 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

I'd like to see a reporter ask Holland what his definition of 'transition' year is.

Because to me, that definition isn't 'lets let all of our talent age and leave while we hope somebody we drafted becomes a superstar.'

To transition, you need to get help. You don't just hope your young players getting good barely overlaps with your good players getting bad.

I agreed that rentals weren't the way to go, buy how could Gaborik not have helped in a transition? Pominville?

Our prospects are good, but we will be very lucky if one of them turns into a star. So most likely outcome is we will have a solid team for years, but without trades and UFA signings we won't be a great one.

I'm baffled by standing pat this year. Last year made sense, but this just reeks of a missed opportunity. It was a good deadline for a lot of teams. These windows don't open often in the new NHL. Is the UFA class so great this summer?
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#171 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

I'm baffled by standing pat this year. Last year made sense, but this just reeks of a missed opportunity. It was a good deadline for a lot of teams. These windows don't open often in the new NHL. Is the UFA class so great this summer?

I'd say most teams did pretty well, by either adding players or getting rid of guys that take up salary. I can't believe the Wings were one of very few teams that didn't do anything. The FA class this summer definitely got worse now that Perry and Getzlaf were extended in Anaheim. Here's the list for you if you care to look: http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents

#172 rking72

rking72

Prospect

• 46 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:14 PM

I didn't care if we were buyers or sellers, I could understand an argument for either.  I just thought it would be nuts to stand pat, that makes nooo sense whatsoever. 

#173 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:17 PM

holland+golf.jpg

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#174 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:26 PM

I'd say most teams did pretty well, by either adding players or getting rid of guys that take up salary. I can't believe the Wings were one of very few teams that didn't do anything. The FA class this summer definitely got worse now that Perry and Getzlaf were extended in Anaheim. Here's the list for you if you care to look: http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents

Wow, that's pretty much just a list of 3rd and 4th liners and 5th and 6th defensemen.  Awesome.  Can't wait to not acquire a scoring winger in the offseason as well.  Thank god Nyquist is the answer to that problem...oh wait...nevermind. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#175 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

I don't think the Wings ever planned to be active in the FA market this offseason, with the cap dropping the only way we could afford to sign anyone is by buying someone out.

I think the team we will ice next season will be almost exactly the same as this seasons with the only differences being Cleary, Miller and White out and a couple of our prospects getting regular shifts.

#176 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

I don't think the Wings ever planned to be active in the FA market this offseason, with the cap dropping the only way we could afford to sign anyone is by buying someone out.

I think the team we will ice next season will be almost exactly the same as this seasons with the only differences being Cleary, Miller and White out and a couple of our prospects getting regular shifts.

Yippie... Clarkson or Horton would be nice though. Other than that there isn't anything to get excited about.

#177 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

I'd like to see a reporter ask Holland what his definition of 'transition' year is.

Because to me, that definition isn't 'lets let all of our talent age and leave while we hope somebody we drafted becomes a superstar.'

To transition, you need to get help. You don't just hope your young players getting good barely overlaps with your good players getting bad.

I agreed that rentals weren't the way to go, buy how could Gaborik not have helped in a transition? Pominville?

Our prospects are good, but we will be very lucky if one of them turns into a star. So most likely outcome is we will have a solid team for years, but without trades and UFA signings we won't be a great one.

And the Wings equivalent to what was traded for Gaborik, whom most thought would require our 1st, is as follows:

Filppula, White, Eaves and a 6th.  That's essentially what the Rangers got for him.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#178 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

And the Wings equivalent to what was traded for Gaborik, whom most thought would require our 1st, is as follows:

Filppula, White, Eaves and a 6th.  That's essentially what the Rangers got for him.

Umm noo.

Brassard is a .55 PPG 25 year old on a 3 million dollar deal. His value is Filppula++.they are close in terms of actual player skill, but not in contract value.

and comparing John Moore to White is laughable. White isn't a 22 year old first round pick playing in his second season. He's a good young defenseman, that's defensively responsible. His value is between Smith/Lashoff. Mainly because of the RFA deal and age.

And comparing Eaves to Dorsett is close in terms of point production, but absolutely not in terms of toughness and leadership, columbus fans are flipping out the most about losing this guy more than anybody else. It's hard to compare him to anyone on the Red Wings, he's Tootoo with better defensive hockey IQ(plays much more PK), and outstanding leadership(A).

Realistically I don't think the Rangers would want what we could offer. They required roster players, Filpulla's value is not high being he'd be a rental, so you would have to add value on the defensive slot and they want Smith, we would try Kindl. So right now the Wing's are looking at Filppula, Kindl, and the 3rd part of the deal is tricky, who could dorsett be a replacement for? Remember Filppula's value isn't as high as Brassards, and Kindl's value is around equal, or less than Moore's, so I'd have to imagine they would want an improvement over Dorsett, they wouldn't ask for Eaves, Abby, Miller no, they would ask for Helm. And sorry that's not happening.

Wings just weren't a good dance partner for New York. And people crying about signing injury riddled players like Samuelsson, Bertuzzi, Cola etc. would be flipping s*** if we traded away 3 roster players for a 32 year old 7.5 million dollar forward that is producing less than Samuelsson did last year, and his back/hip/groin starts to act up. Gaborik is a risky player, his injury history is extensive to say the least, and if he goes down the wings are not only out a top winger, but 7.5 million in cap, and 3 roster players.

While the risk for Sammy was just 3 million cap, and a secondary scorer, much less risky.

The only way I wanted Gaborik is if we traded away prospects, because the risk would be lessened, we wouldn't be a worse team if he goes down.

#179 sherwood40

sherwood40

Rookie

• Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

I predict next year is the year we break our streak in the playoffs. Yes we are finally playing most of our games in our time zone. BUT, all the other teams around us has just re-loaded and re-tooled over the summer and trade deadline, while our GM played bubble hockey with Babcock and talked about grilling some food this summer when they go golfing in Late April. This my friends is the end of a great franchise, back to the "dead wings" we go. See you again in 40 years at the next cup celebration.

#180 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:52 PM

I predict next year is the year we break our streak in the playoffs. Yes we are finally playing most of our games in our time zone. BUT, all the other teams around us has just re-loaded and re-tooled over the summer and trade deadline, while our GM played bubble hockey with Babcock and talked about grilling some food this summer when they go golfing in Late April. This my friends is the end of a great franchise, back to the "dead wings" we go. See you again in 40 years at the next cup celebration.

Yikes, Tampa just traded away their 4th leading scorer and youngest player, Toronto still has no goalie, Florida did nothing like usual, Buffalo traded away their captain for prospects, Boston traded for Jagr and Redden(looking good for the 03 stanley cup not so much next year). Really Ottawa is the only one that really improved much.

Just because we didn't go after doesn't signal the demise of a great franchise.

You know what would? If we traded away Jarnkrok and Mrazek to Buffalo for pominville. Then Buffalo turns around and traded Miller for a huge scorer. And the Jarnkrok develops into the #1 center adn Mrazek turns into a Vezina candidate and we have to face them 4 times a year in division. That would be pretty s***ty no?