• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unsaddleddonald

Holland: "We don't need depth...Need a top guy"

Rate this topic

Pominville is exactly not what this team needs.

What should the red wings do? What better option is there? Come on, I understand Bouwmeester, but this one is a no brainer.

I mean Pominville is about as consistent of point producer that there is. He's a good player. Our top 6 is trash right now, not to mention he's a right handed shot.

Guest Crymson

Then who is? You've shot down every idea but us winning the cup as is without trading Flip whom we'll likely lose cause he's not worth 5 mil.

Gaborik and Cammalleri are probably the best options.

I'll give you Gaborik, but in no world is Cammalleri a better option than Pominville. Pominville produces more points, and is a much better two way player. Not mention cheaper, and right handed.

Edited by Carman

I like Cammalleri somewhat, but he's more expensive and less productive than Pominville. No way is he a better option between the two.

Career wise, Cammalleri is less productive, but this season he has more points in less games.

umm gaborik i might be able to live with because he only has one year left (his cap hit is high)

NO WAY to cammalleri who's 5'9 and been getting 20 goals a season last 3 yrs and has a cap hit at 6 million although i got questions with gaborik showing up in the playoffs i think he can produce with datsyuk with his speed .... id stay far away from cammalleri

Agreed on Gaborik but not necessarily with Cammalleri. I'd definitely take Cammy, he's a good scorer, but his stat line is almost exactly the same as Pominville's, they're the same size, both their contracts are through next season, Cammy makes 700k more, and he's noticeably worse on defense.

I guess it would come down to the asking price, if Cammy could be had for less then I'd go that route, if Pominville is cheaper then that's what I'd do.

Per Eklund: (posting it for the lawlz) On Brian Campbell...

He is another who may stay put, but I was told if Detroit can move some salary out in time they would be all over Brian Campbell

He is another who may stay put, but I was told if Detroit can move some salary out in time they would be all over Brian Campbell

Yikes I would find Kenny and immediately vomit on him if that happens.

Guest Crymson

For the lulz indeed.

april ******* fools

hes not bad but his contract sucks

I wonder if we could get Yandle for our 1st, White and a middle of the road prospect. That's a deal I'd make...

We get a top end puck mover under contract for a couple of years, Phoneix gets a good 1st rounder a "plug n play" defenceman to take the roster spot and a prospect with some upside... And they shed some salary.

I think it could be win/win.

I don't know if it's cynicism or realism at this point, I admit that, but I don't expect Holland to do anything at the deadline. Whether he should or shouldn't, I don't really know either. Tough call this year if you want to get honest about where this team is at. If you don't bring in someone worthwhile who will stick around after this season, you've almost gotta say, "what's the point?" I just wish Holland would make up his mind about what he wants to do with this team.

If you're going to try to be good and really compete right now, you've got to trade draft picks and prospects and make a real investment in "right now." If you're going to forego "right now" for the sake of keeping prospects and draft picks, then start selling assets and trade for more draft picks and/or prospects. Let the team really sink for a year or two so we get a descent spot in the first round a couple of times. This shooting for the middle approach absolutely isn't sustainable. You lose Datsyuk and this is a very, very, very different team. And if you keep him, he nor Z and his back are getting any older, and I think it's safe to forget about Franzen being a force again.

So if we just continue to stand pat with a middle of the road team, drafting in the middle of the first round at best, we're going to be left with a team full of these "depth players" Holland refers to with no legit talent to support. I just don't see how there's any way out other than getting insanely lucky again in the draft like we did with Dats and Z, but you can't count on that when you're building a team. So in my mind, he really needs to make a choice about what he wants this team to be. Trade some of your "future" to be truly competitive right now, or trade some of your "right now," even if it leads to struggling, so you can get busy really rebuilding from the ground up. I'm fine with either path really, as I think both are better than this middle ground he's walking that will likely lead to nowhere.