• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#61 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,987 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:18 AM

Clowe would fill the same role as Abdelkader only better. He is good for 20-25 goals.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#62 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,184 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:32 AM

Ya Clowe and his big 0 goals.
You want him because he's big? What horrible logic. Datsyuk & Vanek would be hard to play against. Not some oaf who takes terrible penalties that seems to not be able to score lately.

I didn't say I want him because he's big. Franzen is big.

We need a bruiser up front. A guy that's very difficult to play against - and not because, omg, such skill with the puck! Ideally it'd be a power-forward type, a guy who can really score - and put the hurt on. But I'm trying to be realistic.

Clowe has no goals on the year. I know that. I think he'd score with us - but we wouldn't be adding him for that. He'd be a space-maker, a destroyer, a pain in the ass (literally?)

Clowe would (probably) be a rental. I know that as well. If it's just a low pick, though, I think it'd be worth it.

Lest we forget - we are brittle. as. f***.

In a larger, big-picture sense - Holland wants to see what this group can do in the playoffs. Which is nice and all, but I think we all know damn well that we're not seriously challenging for the Cup. Maybe I'm being overly cynical, but...I'm expecting a lot of injuries, a lot of embarassment. I think Clowe might help there. And yeah, like someone mentioned - you (Holland) could try the conditional condition dealy.

Would I love a premier goal-scorer? Yes. Do I realistically see us getting one? No. And even if we were to get one, I'd still want our top six to have a punisher.

Harder to play against. We must be harder to play against. Teams know how to contain our scoring lines: box them out to the tops of the circles.

Edited by Dabura, 02 April 2013 - 09:29 AM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#63 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:00 AM

Clowe isn't the top 6 scorer Holland is looking for, but I'd definitely take him — the Wings getting bigger and more physical can only help the team after realignment, but that would also require more than a rental.

#64 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:44 AM

We need a bruiser up front. A guy that's very difficult to play against - and not because, omg, such skill with the puck! Ideally it'd be a power-forward type, a guy who can really score - and put the hurt on. But I'm trying to be realistic.

Clowe has no goals on the year. I know that. I think he'd score with us - but we wouldn't be adding him for that. He'd be a space-maker, a destroyer, a pain in the ass (literally?)

Clowe would (probably) be a rental. I know that as well. If it's just a low pick, though, I think it'd be worth it.

In a larger, big-picture sense - Holland wants to see what this group can do in the playoffs. Which is nice and all, but I think we all know damn well that we're not seriously challenging for the Cup. Maybe I'm being overly cynical, but...I'm expecting a lot of injuries, a lot of embarassment. I think Clowe might help there. And yeah, like someone mentioned - you (Holland) could try the conditional condition dealy.

Would I love a premier goal-scorer? Yes. Do I realistically see us getting one? No. And even if we were to get one, I'd still want our top six to have a punisher.

Harder to play against. We must be harder to play against. Teams know how to contain out scoring lines: box them out to the tops of the circles.

Rather have Hanzel than Clowe and I'd welcome Pominville.  And to make room, trade Flip to get one of them, or to someone for their 1st round pick this year.  Either way, I really don't want Clowe.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#65 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,808 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:28 AM

Harder to play against. We must be harder to play against. Teams know how to contain out scoring lines: box them out to the tops of the circles.

I personally wouldn't mind watching Clowe ride shotgun to Datsyuk...Abdelkader can sit on the bench.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#66 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,247 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

After watching the Wings get knocked around by Colorado, who isn't particularly big, it'd be nice to add toughness.  And I could probably get over having the dumbest hockey player in the league on the roster, I  just don't know it'll be worth renting Clowe for what the Wings would have to give up.

#67 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:40 AM

I want to trade for Sean Couturier. He's 20 years old, 6'3, good defensively already.

He's stuggling this year, but the talent is there. It would take a lot to get him, but I don't see a reason we shouldn't. He's young, and signed for a few years on an RFA deal, and pretty cheap.

I'd give up quite a bit of our prospects for him, because at the very least you have a capable big defensive center, but potentialy you have a franchise player.

I don't know if he's actually available, but Philly might want to change things up, and his minutes have been dropping quickly,, he's playing less than Nyquist=p(actually he's played more lately, there was a stretch a few games ago of him playing 8-12 minutes, he's back up over 16 as of last game). STill his production is down.

Interesting thought nonetheless.

Edited by Carman, 02 April 2013 - 09:46 AM.

#68 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

Lebrun says: "Wings were in it on Bouwmeester but not willing to move a 1st-rd pick in the package. Which frankly, for Detroit, was right call"

I want to trade for Sean Couturier. He's 20 years old, 6'3, good defensively already.

He's stuggling this year, but the talent is there. It would take a lot to get him, but I don't see a reason we shouldn't. He's young, and signed for a few years on an RFA deal, and pretty cheap.

I'd give up quite a bit of our prospects for him, because at the very least you have a capable big defensive center, but potentialy you have a franchise player.

I don't know if he's actually available, but Philly might want to change things up, and his minutes have been dropping quickly,, he's playing less than Nyquist=p(actually he's played more lately, there was a stretch a few games ago of him playing 8-12 minutes, he's back up over 16 as of last game). STill his production is down.

Interesting thought nonetheless.

He's a young player who would cost a lot and has struggled even when playing alongside Giroux.

I know you'll blast me for disagreeing with yet another idea, but oh well.

#69 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

He's a young player who would cost a lot and has struggled even when playing alongside Giroux.

I know you'll blast me for disagreeing with yet another idea, but oh well.

Just throwing names out there no problem.

Yeah he's stuggling, but he has just over 100 nhl games, it's his sophmore season, it's pretty common to take a step back. Also Philly as a whole isn't playing too well.

I mean he's 20 years old, he would likely still be in the AHL if we drafted him. He put up 27 points and 13 goals last year, and was awesome in the playoffs. Like he was really physical and very solid defensively it was really impressive.

I mean he still has a ton of room to grow, but his ceiling is just awesome to me. His size would be really nice in our top 6 for years to come. I don't know if there is anyone of our prospects I would take over him, and I love Sproul.

#70 matt198913

matt198913

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

Coutourier, Hanzal, Yandle, Erickson, Gaborik... Is that what were talking about here? Might as well say good bye to that first round draft pick. One of them maybe others

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#71 Hutts11

Hutts11

Prospect

• 46 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:34 AM

This is just a thought and a LOOONNG shot at that, but what if Holand say went after Evander Kane. I know in earlier posts people were talking about going after Byfuglien, but looking at out D over the next few years with the young tallet we have, I really don't think another D man is necessary unless Byfuglien went back to playing a power forward.  Kane is definitely a top six guy and is young.  Young players in the NHL drive to win a cup, and I don't see him being able to do that in Winnipeg anytime soon. 

Call it crazy, stupid, whatever, but like I said before, just a thought...

#72 Donohue75

Donohue75

Rookie

• Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:41 AM

What about Curtis Glencross havent seen him play much so don't know much about him 

It's been a great honor for me to be a player for the Detroit Red Wings, to play for an Original Six franchise. I know I'm far from perfect, but I learned a lot.
Steve Yzerman

#73 matt198913

matt198913

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:48 AM

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger 3m

Detroit was believed to be a strong contender for Jagr last night. Asking price too much? Bruins now a frontrunner. #tradecentre

dear god no!!!!!

#74 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger 3m

Detroit was believed to be a strong contender for Jagr last night. Asking price too much? Bruins now a frontrunner. #tradecentre

dear god no!!!!!

Why not? He wouldn't immediately come in and be our 3rd best player. He is great in the corners, has good size. Would really help slow down our powerplay and help our top lines puck possession game.

#75 matt198913

matt198913

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

If it would cost us a 1rst round pick no absolutely not. Erickson is another story but not Jammy

#76 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

Derek Morris has been put on the block by PHX. Ian White + conditional pick for Morris? 

#77 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

If it would cost us a 1rst round pick no absolutely not. Erickson is another story but not Jammy

Yeah, I wouldn't trade a 1st rounder either. But if the price was right he could really help us.

#78 SuperCalaFilppulastic!

SuperCalaFilppulastic!

Flippin' Awesome

• PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

Why not? He wouldn't immediately come in and be our 3rd best player. He is great in the corners, has good size. Would really help slow down our powerplay and help our top lines puck possession game.

What really annoys me about this is that we had several chances to sign him at virtually no risk and now we might part with assets to acquire him? Stupid.

Check out my Wings autographed card collection here!

#79 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

Derek Morris has been put on the block by PHX. Ian White + conditional pick for Morris? 

Ian White> Derek Morris

#80 matt198913

matt198913

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

Holland is apparently not trading for depth. So a trade for Morris doesn't make much sense to me. Yandle is another case. Yandle/Hanzal has been batted around. It would take a couple draft picks plus prospects.