• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Crymson

Bouwmeester to Blues

Rate this topic

Guest DeGraa55

Money was allotted for Suter/Parise. Didn't pan out. We have gone the route of locking up the core. Look at the Franzine, Kronwall and Z's contracts. Now a lot of people just complain about the Mule contract.

Except that it's not true.

Go to Capgeek achive check the Red Wings cap history beyond This year. Or research somewhere else. Wings have consistently been among the highest spenders.

I don't like any of those deals. Signing players until they're 40 isn't smart. Not everyone is lids or chelios. If you want to lock someone up you do it at age 26-28 until they're like 34. Then again in Detroit at age 26 you're in grand rapids...

Of those players Miller, White, Filppula and Cleary are unlikely to return. Cleary could return but he won't get a raise. And Flip could be lost if we find a suitable replacement. We have extra roster players right now that we won't have in the offseason so I don't think our cap is as dire as all that.

I think Flip will almost certainly be re-signed.

The Wings under Holland have always been extremely deep up the middle and with Datsyuk potentially leaving for Russia soon I don't think they'd gamble on free agents being available to replace him.

I think they are hoping he'll sign for a bit less but I don't think they will let him go unless his demands are unreasonable.

Guest Johnz96

Done a quick look at their defense and it looks ridiculous:

Every pairing has a shutdown AND a pmd now. Facing them in the playoffs just got even worse.

Sent from my BlackBerry

Will you regard him as highly if the Blues fail to make the playoffs now?

The cap hasn't dropped in those years. The Wings have 18.6 million left to sign, Nyquist, Andersson, Kindl, Smith, Howard, Flip, Brunner, White, Cleary and Miller.

Flip and Howard are going to get at least 4 a season, so now you're down to 10.6 million. Nyquist and Andersson are going to get at least 1 million each, bringing the cap room down to 8.6 million. Smith and Kindl will command at least as much as Colaiacovo (2.5 million) so now you're left with 3.6 million to sign Brunner, White, Cleary or Miller. Brunner alone could cost as much as that considering the # of goals he's scored in his rookie season and his status as a UFA.

Unless there is a buyout of some sort, or a trade involving some significant salary going the other way don't expect the Wings to add anyone this offseason or trade deadline.

Unless there's a buyout or trade of a roster player, we won't have the roster room to add anyone, or even have all the kids on the roster. Obvisouly, any talk of additions to the roster implies some kind of subtraction to make room. Wouldn't have been too hard to make room for JBo.

Even so, I wouldn't have given a 1st for him. Good chance that pick will be in the 16-20 range. Don't think he's worth that and the extra cap burden, even with the junk prospects. Make it a 2nd and I would, but that would probably be a deal breaker for the Flames even with better prospects.

Unless there's a buyout or trade of a roster player, we won't have the roster room to add anyone, or even have all the kids on the roster. Obvisouly, any talk of additions to the roster implies some kind of subtraction to make room. Wouldn't have been too hard to make room for JBo.

Even so, I wouldn't have given a 1st for him. Good chance that pick will be in the 16-20 range. Don't think he's worth that and the extra cap burden, even with the junk prospects. Make it a 2nd and I would, but that would probably be a deal breaker for the Flames even with better prospects.

Honestly, are the differences between a late first and a fairly early second that big ? I highly doubt it, the Flames just made the Blues a lot better so chances are, the first round pick will be in the 22 + range. I don't care how underrated Bouwmeester is, but a GM should be able to get a first and Rattie/Cole for this guy in my mind.

Honestly, are the differences between a late first and a fairly early second that big ? I highly doubt it, the Flames just made the Blues a lot better so chances are, the first round pick will be in the 22 + range. I don't care how underrated Bouwmeester is, but a GM should be able to get a first and Rattie/Cole for this guy in my mind.

Yes, actually the difference between even a late first and an early second is pretty substantial. Though I'm not sure why you'd assume it would be a late 1st and early 2nd. I'd expect both the Wings and Blues will pick in around the same spot. 16-20 or so. Even if you assume the Blues win the Cup and the Wings go 15th, it's still half a round of highly-scouted players you miss a chance on.

And a player on a crap contract who's been under-performing for years definitely isn't worth a top prospect and a first.

Feaster and the Flames got hosed on this, but the Blues haven't done themselves any favors with JBouw's cap hit.

It's a pure salary dump for the Flames and obviously a lot of teams weren't willing to take on that salary with the cap going down, but I can't believe they couldn't get more.

Even if he could have been had for cheap, don't think this the defenseman Holland is looking for.

Edited by e_prime

Even if he could have been had for cheap, don't think this the defenseman Holland is looking for.

Holland has been rumored to be interested. Anyway, he will continue looking then, because I doubt any better defenseman will fall in his lap within foreseeable future.

Feaster and the Flames got hosed on this, but the Blues haven't done themselves any favors with JBouw's cap hit.

It's a pure salary dump for the Flames and obviously a lot of teams weren't willing to take on that salary with the cap going down, but I can't believe they couldn't get more.

One of the many reasons I was glad Kenny didn't get him. I'd rather him chase a top 6 forward or 2.

The Wings have tons of young talent and are a well-positioned to continue their unmatched excellence for years to come. However, after Datsyuk and Zetterberg, they lack star power. Howard, Kronwall, Franzen, Filppula are very solid players, but they are not stars. A handful of the young talent may rise to become stars, but they have a long way to go... and nothing is guaranteed.

If you want the Wings to become contenders year-in and year-out, Kenny's challenge is to land a 'star' defensemen... and a 'star' forward (or two) who can complement Zetterberg's talents... and help convince Datsyuk to stay in North American beyond next year.

Bouwmeester is undoubtedly a solid player, but he is not star caliber. He would have made the Wings a better team, but not a serious cup contender. Plus, his cap hit (virtually the same as Datsyuk's) would have handcuffed Holland and made it virtually impossible for him to turn this Wings team into a serious threat for the Cup... not only this year, but for years to come.

The Wings have tons of young talent and are a well-positioned to continue their unmatched excellence for years to come. However, after Datsyuk and Zetterberg, they lack star power. Howard, Kronwall, Franzen, Filppula are very solid players, but they are not stars. A handful of the young talent may rise to become stars, but they have a long way to go... and nothing is guaranteed.

If you want the Wings to become contenders year-in and year-out, Kenny's challenge is to land a 'star' defensemen... and a 'star' forward (or two) who can complement Zetterberg's talents... and help convince Datsyuk to stay in North American beyond next year.

Bouwmeester is undoubtedly a solid player, but he is not star caliber. He would have made the Wings a better team, but not a serious cup contender. Plus, his cap hit (virtually the same as Datsyuk's) would have handcuffed Holland and made it virtually impossible for him to turn this Wings team into a serious threat for the Cup... not only this year, but for years to come.

How so? Bouwmeester's contract only had one more year left. Also, there is no single player available that will turn this team into a contender overnight.

More jobbers no one has heard of.

How come the Pens and Blues can trade faceless kids and we can't? And I'm not saying we should have gotten Boumeester. Just wondering.

Blues fans would be saying the same thing if we had traded Jarnkrok or Ouellet. Who are these nobodies?

Blues fans would be saying the same thing if we had traded Jarnkrok or Ouellet. Who are these nobodies?

Umm no. Jarnkrok and ouellet are young outstanding prospects. The guys the blues traded would be equivalent to Ben Marshall and the goalie we just signed the other week out of college that I can't rememeber the name of.

Umm no. Jarnkrok and ouellet are young outstanding prospects. The guys the blues traded would be equivalent to Ben Marshall and the goalie we just signed the other week out of college that I can't rememeber the name of.

Jarnkrok and Ouellet are promising yes but outstanding? Time will tell. The thing about Jay Bouwmeester is, the guy has never played on a good team, Flames gave away Phaneuf for basically nothing after a few months and he played tons of minutes this season for Calgary according to Flamesfans without a doubt their best defenseman. Guy has 1 year left on his contract and would have easily become the Wings best defenseman, watch him blossom alongside Pietrangelo now, also Dreger mentioned the Wings management is crushed they didn't get him.

So even the higher ups thought highly of this guy and Bouwmeester would have been a great mentor for Dekeyser and Smith.

Jarnkrok and Ouellet are promising yes but outstanding? Time will tell. The thing about Jay Bouwmeester is, the guy has never played on a good team, Flames gave away Phaneuf for basically nothing after a few months and he played tons of minutes this season for Calgary according to Flamesfans without a doubt their best defenseman. Guy has 1 year left on his contract and would have easily become the Wings best defenseman, watch him blossom alongside Pietrangelo now, also Dreger mentioned the Wings management is crushed they didn't get him.

So even the higher ups thought highly of this guy and Bouwmeester would have been a great mentor for Dekeyser and Smith.

Oh I agree, I was just correcting the poster on the value of prospects. Jarnkrok and Ouellet are outstanding compared to Reto Berra who is a 26 year old Swiss goaltender that well very likely never make the NHL, and Cundari who is an ok AHL point producing defenseman that is 5'9, his ceiling is Derek Meech.

I mean come on, that return is just pitiful, and comparing Jarnkrok, and Ouellet to that? It's disturbingly inaccurate.

On Jaybo, I actually wanted him, mainly because I don't think Holland will use that cap space up in the off season, but I'll give him the chance to improve this team in other ways before I hold this against him.

Edited by Carman

Guest Crymson

How so? Bouwmeester's contract only had one more year left. Also, there is no single player available that will turn this team into a contender overnight.

If that player doesn't exist, then why give up assets for Bouwmeester when we've got so many puck movers already?

The Flames traded away Phaneuf after getting Bouwmeester, yes, though it was for other reasons, and the Flames got hosed on that trade (as usual). Whatever the case, Bouwmeester's acquisition was meant to make Phaneuf expendable, and it has failed in this regard. Bouwmeester, since arriving to Calgary, has not at all played up to expectations. Phaneuf has contributed far more to Toronto than Bouwmeester has to the Flames.

As for being the best defenseman on the team---does that really mean much when one is playing alongside the likes of Brodie, Wideman, Giordano, Butler, Smith, and Sarich? All of those guy are either past their prime or were not really great to begin with.