• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Crymson

Bouwmeester to Blues

Rate this topic

So Pierre McGuire just came out and said that Detroit actually had a way better offer for Bouwmeester but Calgary rejected it and went with the Blues. He can't give out full details because of confidentiality but I highly doubt he is trying to blow smoke up some where.

So... do we all want to keep hating on Holland? The guy is obviously trying his best.

So Pierre McGuire just came out and said that Detroit actually had a way better offer for Bouwmeester but Calgary rejected it and went with the Blues. He can't give out full details because of confidentiality but I highly doubt he is trying to blow smoke up some where.

So... do we all want to keep hating on Holland? The guy is obviously trying his best.

When/where did he say this?

He just said it today on a local Vancouver radio station he normally appears on. I grabbed it via HFB and thought it would be an interesting conversation piece for over here. If he can't release the terms of the proposal, all of this will most likely hold no substance. It would be really interesting to know what was the deal between CGY and DET.

Media reports that we didn't want to give up our 1st, but McGuire is saying our's blew theirs out of the water. Hmm... I wonder if we didn't include a pick but rather more prospects and a bigger deal of players. Calgary could've shot that down because they wanted the pick?

He just said it today on a local Vancouver radio station he normally appears on. I grabbed it via HFB and thought it would be an interesting conversation piece for over here. If he can't release the terms of the proposal, all of this will most likely hold no substance. It would be really interesting to know what was the deal between CGY and DET.

Media reports that we didn't want to give up our 1st, but McGuire is saying our's blew theirs out of the water. Hmm... I wonder if we didn't include a pick but rather more prospects and a bigger deal of players. Calgary could've shot that down because they wanted the pick?

It is an interesting topic, but really what's the better offer is in the eye of the beholder. Hypothetically, we could have offered Nyquist AND Tatar but considering Calgary wanted/needed a goalie prospect (because of this Kipper debacle) they might have placed little or no value on two prospects who are nonetheless very good players. For instance, which is the better offer...Nyquist and Ferraro or Sproul and a 2nd? Depends on the needs of the team in question.

Perhaps McGuire simply has a different perspective than Calgary on what the team needs. If I'm stacked at forward and need a goalie and you offer me a crew of solid forwards and someone else offers me a respectable goalie, I'll go with the goalie. Hard to put much stock in this. I don't think Calgary or anyone is in the business of hurting their team for the sake of hurting their team, so obviously they had different thoughts on the matter than McGuire's if there's even any truth to what McGuire is suggesting.

Edited by gcom007

Or Boumeester vetoed a trade to Detroit? He had a NTC correct?

#noonewantsyoplayhereanymore

Looks like he did have a NTC. Interesting, though McGuire didn't mention it. But putting it all back into a broader context again, didn't Holland say that it boiled down to not wanting to give up a 1st round pick? If that's what Calgary prioritized, and we refused to give one up and St. Louis was willing, then Detroit didn't have a "way better offer." That's the bottom line. McGuire's comments are officially irrelevant in my mind.

Or Boumeester vetoed a trade to Detroit? He had a NTC correct?

#noonewantsyoplayhereanymore

FTR, I only say this because Iginla seemed to pull the strings on the Pitts-Bos fiasco, so it wouldn't surprise me if Bouwmeester had a similar influence on his own deal.

Guest Crymson

Pierre McGuire is a moron. How this isn't obvious is beyond me. I trust his word far less than that of the analysts who claimed that Holland was unwilling to offer his 1st or any good prospects.

Pierre is weird but he's usually a pretty knowledgable hockey guy, isn't he?

I certainly hope Holland isn't too stingy with the 1st rounder. He certainly wasn't when he got Quincey. Besides, if we can get another star, we can spare a pick in a shallow draft considering we already have too many prospects.

Was it the 2013 draft, or is it this upcoming 2014 draft that supposed to be 'deep in talent'?

i believe that was last years draft that was considered one of the deepest drafts in a long time

edit: also, the draft where holland wasn't stingy with the first and got quincey was considered a shallow draft. which is likely why he wasn't stingy with the pick

Edited by amato

If a first-round pick was the issue...that's frustrating. I'm not saying we're a Bouwmeester away from Cup contention, but...we're a Bouwmeester away from Cup contention. There. I said it. Hang me.

As for Pierre's take - it wouldn't turn my world upside-down if our offer was in fact better than St. Louis's. I get the fuzzy sense that no GM wants to be The Guy Who Gave the Red Wings a Ladder Out of Their Hole. And/Or if Bouwmeester vetoed the deal...well, I get the fuzzy sense that no top-four defenseman wants to be The Guy Who's Supposed to Fill in for Nicklas Lidstrom.

FWIW, Pierre is very, very high on our prospect pool.

FWIW #2, the Flames like them some big, mean, North American Hockey Players. Whereas we're kind of on the opposite end of the spectrum. So, who knows, maybe a Nyquist/Tatar/Pulkkinen/Jarnkrok/Almqvist would make them yawn.

FWIW #2, the Flames like them some big, mean, North American Hockey Players. Whereas we're kind of on the opposite end of the spectrum. So, who knows, maybe a Nyquist/Tatar/Pulkkinen/Jarnkrok/Almqvist would make them yawn.

They love them some Jiri Hudler right now. Who'd have thought 28 points in 30 games with the Flames.

They love them some Jiri Hudler right now. Who'd have thought 28 points in 30 games with the Flames.

I'll admit, I consciously overlooked him in making that point. But I don't expect them to go all Ken Holland on us now, especially with Mr. Big Mean North American Hockey Players himself becoming their interim GM.