• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#121 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

We've seen Holland move his late 1st round pick for additional 2nd/3rd round picks...Not a bad move - that is unless you draft Emmerton over Lucic/Marchand.

There is still time, come on Emmerton I believe in you!

... :confused:

#122 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

Boumeester is one of the more confusing players to evaluate.  On the one hand, the guy is an absolute freakin' ironman, having played EVERY game since the lockout.  And he does it logging serious ice time in a key role for his teams, and most consider him a good, if not imposing, defender.

On the other hand, his offense game basically disappeared after going to Calgary, and you wonder if the Florida numbers weren't just smoke and mirrors.  And you can call it bad luck or whatever you want that the guy has played 700+ games without a playoff appearance, but in a salary cap era where make big bucks to anchor a defense, and haven't even been able to sneak in to the 8th seed once, that can't just be an annual coincidence.  For what it's worth, he did play 18 AHL playoff games with the Chicago Wolves...and didn't score a point.

I don't like Bouwmeester as that deadline addition where you won the bidding war and are hoping to ride him into the Playoffs.  Had we traded for him in the offseason and marked out our plans carefully, for some reason, I like that better.  But as it is, taking on that $6.6 mil cap hit for just next season WOULD have severe consequences for us to re-sign the guys worth keeping, and possibly add another piece.

#123 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

Interesting how Quincey was worth a first a year ago...and by interesting I mean nauseating!

Last year's draft was not that good.  This year's draft is one of the best in years.  Thats the difference.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#124 Pskov Wings Fan

Pskov Wings Fan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

Interesting how Quincey was worth a first a year ago...and by interesting I mean nauseating!

Detroit has learned from own mistakes?

#125 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,576 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

Detroit has learned from own mistakes?

I will re-iterate what everyone else has said, last year there wasn't a very good prospect pool to choose from, so there was a desperate need to hold on to our 1st round draft pick. This year there is a very deep prospect pool for the draft, that first round pick could potentially garner us a superstar, so Kenny is not trading it away

#126 Jocke

Jocke

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

Dodged a bullet there.. :ok:

#127 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:59 PM

The more in-depth report from Lebrun:

And Detroit?

The Wings were in on Bouwmeester, but, in the end, they didn’t get him because they didn’t include a first-round pick, a source told ESPN.com.

Which quite frankly, is a smart, smart, smart decision by Wings GM Ken Holland.

Yes, Bouwmeester is the top-four D-man the Wings have been craving all year, but Detroit is not in a position organizationally to be trading first-round picks. They moved a first-round pick last year for Kyle Quincey when they still had Nicklas Lidstrom and Brad Stuart on the team and felt they had a shot to really contend.

But now? Of course they still like their team if they get healthy and make the playoffs, but this is an organization that needs to re-stock and use its own first-round picks to actually draft players.
They’ve been near the top of the standings for 20 years. It’s time to draft and develop again.
There is no way Holland could have ever justified moving a first-rounder to Calgary. What if the Wings miss the playoffs? Even had they structured the deal like St. Louis by deferring the first-rounder to 2014, who’s to say what Detroit is going to look like next season if they miss the playoffs this season? That pick could be even more dangerous to give Calgary.

My belief is that Detroit’s final offer on Bouwmeester was a second-round pick and two prospects. And frankly, that’s as far as the Wings could have gone.

...and that's the difference this year.  Holland said early on, in fact, that there was a possibility that this team might not make the playoffs... but in all likelihood we will make the playoffs.  He might, as so many of you like to pipe up with, "Like our team."  ...maybe he doesn't. 

That's just it...Outside of the top 3 to 5 players (even then the these guys may not amount to much) - are any of these 18 yr olds that much "better" than the other?

Some draft years it seems as though there's next to nothing in the 1st round, and it's the 2nd thru 5th rounders have a better chance of finding their way to the NHL.

We've seen Holland move his late 1st round pick for additional 2nd/3rd round picks...Not a bad move - that is unless you draft Emmerton over Lucic/Marchand.

Don't forget he also drafted Matthias before both of those guys too.  ...and well, hindsight... always 20/20.  ;) 

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#128 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:24 PM

When your first pairing is Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo odds are very very good of making them...

Half of that pairing is really good

#129 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

So Pierre McGuire just came out and said that Detroit actually had a way better offer for Bouwmeester but Calgary rejected it and went with the Blues. He can't give out full details because of confidentiality but I highly doubt he is trying to blow smoke up some where. 

So... do we all want to keep hating on Holland? The guy is obviously trying his best.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#130 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

So Pierre McGuire just came out and said that Detroit actually had a way better offer for Bouwmeester but Calgary rejected it and went with the Blues. He can't give out full details because of confidentiality but I highly doubt he is trying to blow smoke up some where. 

So... do we all want to keep hating on Holland? The guy is obviously trying his best.

When/where did he say this?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#131 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:57 PM

He just said it today on a local Vancouver radio station he normally appears on. I grabbed it via HFB and thought it would be an interesting conversation piece for over here. If he can't release the terms of the proposal, all of this will most likely hold no substance. It would be really interesting to know what was the deal between CGY and DET.

Media reports that we didn't want to give up our 1st, but McGuire is saying our's blew theirs out of the water. Hmm... I wonder if we didn't include a pick but rather more prospects and a bigger deal of players. Calgary could've shot that down because they wanted the pick? 

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#132 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:23 PM

He just said it today on a local Vancouver radio station he normally appears on. I grabbed it via HFB and thought it would be an interesting conversation piece for over here. If he can't release the terms of the proposal, all of this will most likely hold no substance. It would be really interesting to know what was the deal between CGY and DET.

Media reports that we didn't want to give up our 1st, but McGuire is saying our's blew theirs out of the water. Hmm... I wonder if we didn't include a pick but rather more prospects and a bigger deal of players. Calgary could've shot that down because they wanted the pick? 

It is an interesting topic, but really what's the better offer is in the eye of the beholder.  Hypothetically, we could have offered Nyquist AND Tatar but considering Calgary wanted/needed a goalie prospect (because of this Kipper debacle) they might have placed little or no value on two prospects who are nonetheless very good players.  For instance, which is the better offer...Nyquist and Ferraro or Sproul and a 2nd?  Depends on the needs of the team in question. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#133 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

Or Boumeester vetoed a trade to Detroit? He had a NTC correct?

#noonewantsyoplayhereanymore
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#134 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

That would be hilarious. 

#135 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:31 PM

Perhaps McGuire simply has a different perspective than Calgary on what the team needs. If I'm stacked at forward and need a goalie and you offer me a crew of solid forwards and someone else offers me a respectable goalie, I'll go with the goalie. Hard to put much stock in this. I don't think Calgary or anyone is in the business of hurting their team for the sake of hurting their team, so obviously they had different thoughts on the matter than McGuire's if there's even any truth to what McGuire is suggesting.

Edited by gcom007, 08 April 2013 - 06:33 PM.

-Elliot...does not panic.

#136 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:40 PM

Looks like he did have a NTC. Interesting, though McGuire didn't mention it. But putting it all back into a broader context again, didn't Holland say that it boiled down to not wanting to give up a 1st round pick? If that's what Calgary prioritized, and we refused to give one up and St. Louis was willing, then Detroit didn't have a "way better offer." That's the bottom line. McGuire's comments are officially irrelevant in my mind.

-Elliot...does not panic.

#137 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

FTR, I only say this because Iginla seemed to pull the strings on the Pitts-Bos fiasco, so it wouldn't surprise me if Bouwmeester had a similar influence on his own deal.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#138 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:22 PM

Pierre McGuire is a moron. How this isn't obvious is beyond me. I trust his word far less than that of the analysts who claimed that Holland was unwilling to offer his 1st or any good prospects.

#139 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,685 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:41 AM

Bouwmeester on pace for 60 pts, and +37.

Not too shabby.

EDIT - This spring I'll be pulling for the Blues to represent the Western Conference in the Cup Finals...Been down there a handful of times for games; nice town, really nice people, and knowledgeable hockey fans...If anyone deserves it - they certainly do.

Edited by F.Michael, 11 December 2013 - 08:50 AM.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#140 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,582 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:33 AM

Pierre is weird but he's usually a pretty knowledgable hockey guy, isn't he?

I certainly hope Holland isn't too stingy with the 1st rounder. He certainly wasn't when he got Quincey. Besides, if we can get another star, we can spare a pick in a shallow draft considering we already have too many prospects.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.