86 replies to this topic

#41 Wing-in-avs-town

Wing-in-avs-town

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:39 PM

Wow, I'd hate to be a Stars fan with the fire sale going on in Dallas

The early bird may get the worm, but it's the 2nd mouse that gets the cheese.

#42 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

Hope the Bruins go far, just so the Pens don't do.

bringit.jpg

#43 HockeytownRules19

HockeytownRules19

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

According to LeBrun, its a 2nd Round pick that turns into a 1st if the B's win 2 rounds in the playoffs

HA... Way to go Kenny... two solid prospects and a potential 1st for a 42 yr old... F NO lol

#44 redhasek2013

redhasek2013

Prospect

• 35 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

The Dallas Stars have decided to trade Jaromir Jagr to the Boston Bruins for forward prospects Lane MacDermid, Cody Payne and a conditional draft pick in 2013. Dallas will receive no worse than a second round pick from Boston. If the Bruins reach the Eastern Conference Finals this season, the pick will become a first-rounder. Jagr leads the Stars with 14 goals and 26 points this season, while playing 34 of the Stars' 35 games. The league's all-time leading European scorer, Jagr returned to the league last season with the Philadelphia Flyers before signing a one-year, $4.5 million deal with the Stars for this season. He has played in 18 NHL seasons in his career. The 1998-99 Hart Trophy winner has two five Art Ross Trophies, and three Lester B. Pearson Awards. Jagr is also a seven-time First Team All-Star. Jagr has only missed the playoffs in two of his 18 seasons prior to this season. In 1,380 career NHL games, Jagr has scored 679 goals, 1000 assists. He was originally drafted fifth overall by the Pittsburgh Penguins in 1990. He has since suited up for the Stars, Flyers, New York Rangers and Washington Capitals. The winner of two Stanley Cups - both with the Penguins - Jagr has appeared in 180 career playoff games, scoring 78 goals and adding 111 assists. MacDermid, 23, was drafted in the fourth round (112th overall) by the Bruins at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft. He has appeared in three games with the Bruins this season, racking up 10 penalty minutes. Payne was a fifth-round selection (145th overall) by the Bruins in 2012. He scored 24 goals and added 21 assists in 66 games with the Ontario Hockey League's Plymouth Whalers this season. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=419676

#45 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,310 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

OMMMMGGGGGGG      NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WWAAAAAYYYYYYYYY!?!?!?!? WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWW WHY IS EVERYONE USING CAPS?

#46 redhasek2013

redhasek2013

Prospect

• 35 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

The title I copied and past from was in Caps sorry I'm sure an Admin will fix it soon. As far as this trade goes good for Boston. Why is Dallas who is only a few points out of the playoffs Selling there players for? Don't get some of these teams oh well. Hope Ken Holland Gets someone at the Deadline.

#47 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

I disagree. Jagr is the leading scorer on Dallas, and has more points than all but two of our players this season. The two prospects will likely never play in the NHL, so they are not worth very much. Picks are also not worth much, as they are also very unlikely to generate an NHL player.

Every premium player, Jagr, Meester, Iginla, have so far been traded away for nothing. The prices are rock bottom.

I agree, compared to last year when the likes of Quincey + Gaustad were going for 1st round picks, trading a 2nd (likely ~ 50th overall) and 2 middling prospects for a superstar HOFer who can still play seems like a pretty good deal to me.  And lets not forget we have absolute log-jam of average to good prospects at forward, some of them will have to be traded away, just to make some room for the rest

And all those calling Jagr a 42 year old - yep, a 42 year old with 3 more goals than anyone else on our team.  Lidstrom was still pretty good at 42 ISTR.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#48 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,310 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

The title I copied and past from was in Caps sorry I'm sure an Admin will fix it soon. As far as this trade goes good for Boston. Why is Dallas who is only a few points out of the playoffs Selling there players for? Don't get some of these teams oh well. Hope Ken Holland Gets someone at the Deadline.

this is already posted in the trade deadline thread...

#49 redhasek2013

redhasek2013

Prospect

• 35 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

Sorry I didn't see the thread till now oh well this needs it's own thread anyhow since? Every play who gets traded has it's own thread anyways. Hope we can get this thread on topic. And we get thoughts on the trade that happened. I'm still not happy with Holland I hope we can land a player soon.

#50 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

I agree, compared to last year when the likes of Quincey + Gaustad were going for 1st round picks, trading a 2nd (likely ~ 50th overall) and 2 middling prospects for a superstar HOFer who can still play seems like a pretty good deal to me.  And lets not forget we have absolute log-jam of average to good prospects at forward, some of them will have to be traded away, just to make some room for the rest

And all those calling Jagr a 42 year old - yep, a 42 year old with 3 more goals than anyone else on our team.  Lidstrom was still pretty good at 42 ISTR.

The biggest problem with Jagr isn't his skill, or his age. Obviously he can still perform at his age, as he is producing currently. The biggest problem with Jagr is that he chases the pay-check and is willing to abandon a team in order to go somewhere offering a bigger paycheck. We aren't a Jagr piece away from a cup, and he's a rental; Why would we want to give up potentially two pieces of our future plus a first round pick for a simple rental? Hell, look if we don't make the playoffs. That would basically be Jagr playing for what ~12 games for 2 prospects and a 1st? 

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#51 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

I'm almost positive the Trade deadline thread exists for a reason. We should start using it instead of clogging up the general discussion thread with a million trade threads.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#52 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

I'm almost positive the Trade deadline thread exists for a reason. We should start using it instead of clogging up the general discussion thread with a million trade threads.

Not to mention that there is already a thread about a Jagr trade to Boston

#53 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

Wow, I didn't know Jagr has been this good this year. Except for being a more grittier player, Iginla isn't much better than Jagr, even at this stage.

bringit.jpg

#54 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,310 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

Wow, I didn't know Jagr has been this good this year. Except for being a more grittier player, Iginla isn't much better than Jagr, even at this stage.

Iginla was never better than Jagr

#55 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

The biggest problem with Jagr isn't his skill, or his age. Obviously he can still perform at his age, as he is producing currently. The biggest problem with Jagr is that he chases the pay-check and is willing to abandon a team in order to go somewhere offering a bigger paycheck. We aren't a Jagr piece away from a cup, and he's a rental; Why would we want to give up potentially two pieces of our future plus a first round pick for a simple rental? Hell, look if we don't make the playoffs. That would basically be Jagr playing for what ~12 games for 2 prospects and a 1st? 

Bingo.

#56 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

Iginla was never better than Jagr

He was better than Jagr last year

bringit.jpg

#57 redhasek2013

redhasek2013

Prospect

• 35 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

I think the Admins should delete this thread. Sorry if I didn't see anything when coming here. Anyways looking forward to seeing a trade happen with the Red Wings and Someone.

#58 RedWingAbner

RedWingAbner

My Loony Bun Is Fine, Benny Lava

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:41 PM

I am sure I am going to get called all sorts of names for this, but Jesus people, let's just be real.  Ken Holland sucks.

The Wings are constantly in a position to add and he snivels and whines about prices being high.  He has shoveled this BS out so many times that people buy in to "we're not contenders."  Garbage.  St. Louis is adding; LA added last year and won as a f***ing 8th seed.

Ken Holland is not motivated to win championships, he wants to maintain the status quo--his job--and he keeps the Wings just above water to do so.

Datsyuk has a year left; how long is Zetterberg going to be at the level he is?  But just like with Lidstrom, Yzerman, et all.....Kenny will just let their careers wind down without adding b/c he's a *****.

#59 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

All true, except that age does play into that also, because you're getting a rental who isn't even that valuable if you COULD retain him.  Even with Hossa, people forget that it wasn't written in stone that he was gone after a year.  It was clearly expected that would be a likely outcome, but Alexander Semin just transformed a very similar situation into a 5-year extension.  The combination of disappointment over losing in Game 7, Hossa's playoff performance declining as his shoulder went to tatters (which Wings fans also tend to ignore), and Chicago's stunning agressiveness in courting Hossa while retaining their own young core with (now illegal) backdiving contracts created the situation where were forced to part ways.

But Hossa was still a very productive player in his prime.  There's literally a few weeks left in the season.  If we lose literally one more key player to injury and slide out of the playoffs, then we're screwed on multiple fronts.  We just gave up a 1st or 2nd round pick that is higher becasue we finished in the bottom 14, and we comprimised our ability to improve for a short-term fix that didn't work.

I actually don't think it would take a 1st rounder for a (potentially) 3-week rental of Jagr, he isn't at the price level of a Bouwmeester or Iginla.  A conditional pick arrangement would probably make more sense.  But I just can't advocate Jagr on this team given the uncertainties about our future.  If this Wings team doesn't make a significant move and misses the Playoffs as presently constructed, that sucks.  But that team that can't even crack the Top 8 in the West probably didn't have the horsepower to do anything in the Playoffs anyway, so let's not bet the farm.

#60 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

The first is only if Boston make the Conference Finals.  So in your scenario, its a low 2nd and two middling prospects (who we have a glut of) for the chance to transform our top-6 and give us 2 legit PP units. 

Everyone agrees we need a top-6 goalscoring winger and a puck-moving defenceman.  We're not going to get either for Mursak, Emmerton and a 5th.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk