• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Could Kenny be working on something HUGE?

Rate this topic

I have read that Alex Ovechkin is available and was also remembering Kenny's comments about how if we do anything at the deadline, it will be an "impact" player. Also, we have Pavel Datsyuk who we presumably want to keep around here for several more years who might find it intriguing.

Many believe A.O. may need a change of scenery, and lord knows that we as an organization love reclamation projects.

I would propose Fil, Franzen, one of Tatar, Nyquist, or similar, and a 1st.

We shed the necessary salary (based on what we would likely pay Fil if he stays) and Washington gets 3 capable players to help them rebuild their team.

I am hearing San Jose has been working on something, but how many times have we heard something like that, only to have a different team come out of nowhere and swing the deal.

I realize all of the many ways that this seems somewhat far-fetched, but I wanted to see if anyone else thinks this or something similar could be done.

I don't want to lose both Filpulla and Franzen (and Tatar added in there would really suck). I just think it would be unwise to give up top 6 players to get Ovechkin when our top 6 is already pretty shallow. Would be incredible to have sure, but just don't see it being the wisest of moves.

- AO is money in Washington. He puts butts in the seats. They'll part with him when he's 36 and his body is failing him. Not before then. And like kip said, he's back in beast mode right now.

- Holland has no imgination, drive.

No way in hell does Ovie get traded. Face of their franchise, playing really well this season. And I doubt we have the assets they'd ask. Tatar, Nyquist, Filppula, a 1st, Oullet, Sproul, Dekeyser AND Datsyuk maybe.

It's nice to be optimistic but no way this happens. I fully expect to see no moves today for Detroit. I always was SO EXCITED for trade deadline day... Not so much anymore. Detroit as a franchise doesn't wheel and deal much anymore. It's depressing... Especially in a situation where we need to (like this year). The salary cap has but a huge damper on trade deadline day as well. I except to see only 3-5 trades today tops... And none that are of huge significance or *blockbuster* status.

No. He won't.

“With the people that were moved the last couple of days, in most cases I talked to those general managers,'' Red Wings GM Ken Holland said on Tuesday. “I don't know that there's a lot out there. We'll see what happens (Wednesday).''

“We made some competitive offers on a couple of players,'' Holland said. “Some players we couldn't get in the mix on. I'll explore until the deadline.''

“We traded a first-round pick last year (to Tampa Bay for defenseman Kyle Quincey), when we were first overall, concerned about losing (Nicklas) Lidstrom and (Brad) Stuart,'' Holland said. “We were going for it. You can't trade your first-round pick every year. You have to pick and choose when you go for it.''

He also stated that it is very unlikely anything happens today.

No. Holland doesnt have it in him to risk a "HUGE" trade. He will do nothing today and then give Fil 5+ million this offseason.

Yeah its funny, our organization was recently rated #10 in terms of talent. You'd think Holland would do something this year to shore up this weak defense [big guys who don't hit]. We know Kenny trots out the same old same old every deadline - nothing there ... won't overpay ... we were close ... we added DeKeyser, so that's our pickup - so I am not expecting much.

And seeing as 3rd rounders are netting trade partners so far, I wish he'd improve this team this year. We are middle of the pack, and aside from 2 or 3 teams, no-one is guaranteed anything this year.

In short... no.

He couldn't possibly overpay Fil, Cleary, and Miller this summer if he took on a high-priced impact player, duh! Besides, he'd rather hold on to every prospect and extra cap room so that in 2017-2018 he can lowball some top shelf FA's.

Expect at most a minor trade for a 6th round pick.

What irritates me the most is that standing pat is fine if you've got a good team, but when your team has been woefully inadequate for the last four years, how do you justify doing nothing? Holland says "we like our team". I respond...why? They've continuously gotten worse and proved nothing when it matters.

What's to like? They aren't as bad as Calgary or Columbus?

Aren't we supposed to aim a little higher than that in "Hockeytown"?

Yeah... Ovi is slated to make $9,538,462 annually through 2020-21.

Somehow I don't see Holland trying to make that deal, since we've never been about super-bloated contracts. And I'm completely fine with that.

What irritates me the most is that standing pat is fine if you've got a good team, but when your team has been woefully inadequate for the last four years, how do you justify doing nothing? Holland says "we like our team". I respond...why? They've continuously gotten worse and proved nothing when it matters.

I think it's been rebranded to "Little Caesartown"

I'm with ya, Kip.

I get that we're not really in a position to wheel and deal. What vexes me is that we're in this spot to begin with. It feels like we do nothing, and we say our hands are tied, and that goes back to us having said the same thing six months prior - but ***we don't talk about that***...., and we do some more of nothing, and things get worse, but what can we do? Our hands are tied. We have to see what this group can do! And on and on, nothing new under the sun, etc. etc. etc.