• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Could Kenny be working on something HUGE?

Rate this topic

28/30 GMs suck, then, because that's how many of them haven't acquired significant pieces.

Are you sure you aren't ignoring a bit of perspective here?

something we both agree on. I think people are taking this whole no trade thing overboard. They expect kenny to trade the farm and all our picks every year, if we did that we would look like san jose or NYR and end up with stars that don't produce and a team that sits in a bubble. The fact that we lost what we have over the past 4 years and are still a playoff team speaks volumes for itself

something we both agree on. I think people are taking this whole no trade thing overboard. They expect kenny to trade the farm and all our picks every year, if we did that we would look like san jose or NYR and end up with stars that don't produce and a team that sits in a bubble. The fact that we lost what we have over the past 4 years and are still a playoff team speaks volumes for itself

It's not a matter of not making a trade, at least in my opinion. It's a matter of not making a trade or a prominent free agent signing in about 4 years, in conjunction with the fact that this team (or at least it's core) has been woefully inadequate the entire time. The core group we have is not getting the job done, so either add too it, or rebuild it. All we seem to do is add bit parts, or do nothing at all. I just don't understand the strategy.

For example: Holland doesn't want to trade his first rounder in case we don't make the playoffs. He doesn't want to trade White or Filppula in case we do. The whole point of hedging your bets is to stand still until something changes systemically that leaves you in a better position. I don't know what he thinks is going to change, but clearly it hasn't happened yet, and I don't see anything on the horizon that bodes well for us. Three years from now we might have Jarnkrok, Nyquist, and Jurco playing decent hockey. We'll also have Zetterberg, Kronwall, and Franzen playing declining hockey and likely no Datsyuk or Filppula either. So how does staying put work out in the long run?

It's not a matter of not making a trade, at least in my opinion. It's a matter of not making a trade or a prominent free agent signing in about 4 years, in conjunction with the fact that this team (or at least it's core) has been woefully inadequate the entire time. The core group we have is not getting the job done, so either add too it, or rebuild it. All we seem to do is add bit parts, or do nothing at all. I just don't understand the strategy.

For example: Holland doesn't want to trade his first rounder in case we don't make the playoffs. He doesn't want to trade White or Filppula in case we do. The whole point of hedging your bets is to stand still until something changes systemically that leaves you in a better position. I don't know what he thinks is going to change, but clearly it hasn't happened yet, and I don't see anything on the horizon that bodes well for us. Three years from now we might have Jarnkrok, Nyquist, and Jurco playing decent hockey. We'll also have Zetterberg, Kronwall, and Franzen playing declining hockey and likely no Datsyuk or Filppula either. So how does staying put work out in the long run?

What I am saying is we shouldn't sell the farm for one cup run like most people suggest, is all. I do think we should have made some good trades the past couple years, but the fact that we haven't and we are still doing as well as we are is astounding

What I am saying is we shouldn't sell the farm for one cup run like most people suggest, is all. I do think we should have made some good trades the past couple years, but the fact that we haven't and we are still doing as well as we are is astounding

Nobody is suggesting "selling the farm". Nyquist and a 1st would get a pretty good return, and it wouldn't be detrimental to the long term viability of this team. It's not like we're talking about trading away 4 or 5 prospects here.

Moving one or two guys does not equal destroying the future. Tomas Fleischmann was traded for Robert Lang. Lang didn't work out, and Fleischmann is a good player, yet our future wasn't destroyed because of it. Everybody around here acts like if we traded Nyquist or a 1st then all would be lost. It's silly.

Nobody is suggesting "selling the farm". Nyquist and a 1st would get a pretty good return, and it wouldn't be detrimental to the long term viability of this team. It's not like we're talking about trading away 4 or 5 prospects here.

Moving one or two guys does not equal destroying the future. Tomas Fleischmann was traded for Robert Lang. Lang didn't work out, and Fleischmann is a good player, yet our future wasn't destroyed because of it. Everybody around here acts like if we traded Nyquist or a 1st then all would be lost. It's silly.

To be fair washington's first round pick ended up in Norris consideration=p, that wasn't a bad trade though Lang was a beast before coming to us, leading scorer I believe.

But, let me know when someone that could help this team is moved. Iginila, Morrow, Jagr etc. are not what we need.

If Eriksson, Gaborik, Pominville etc. get moved then you can start the hate.

Edited by Carman

I agree with most of this, except the part where you said no one suggested selling the farm, I have seen people saying we should give up 5-6 prospects, plus picks, franzen, smith, datsyuk, flip(agree on this one) blah blah blah

Why get better?

Possibly Gaborik to Columbus? I'm just about done with Kenny!

But wait! We've got Bertuzzi and Samuelsson!

You do understand Gaborik is producing just as much this season as Samuelsson did last season. Correct?

Gaborik had this one terrible season since he started...change of scenery can help a lot.

He's also missed 6 months for a torn labrum, 38 games for hip surgery, 27 games for back injury, 34 games for groin strain, 16 games for hip flexor, 11 more games for a groin issue, and 10 games for /abdominal strain/left leg injury.

He's been pretty healthy the last few years, but how do you think the fans would feel if he'd had Samuelsson's luck with breaking a finger on a shot, and then we'd be out 7.5 million...

Not saying Gaborik isn't good, but you can't have it both ways. If you complain about Samuelsson's past and current injuries, you better acknowledge Gaborik's past.

At this point I really don't see anything big happening. I think Kenny is thinking more along the lines of doing something Big in the Off-Season as far as a signing. It would have been cool to see something happen but not just for the sake of making a trade. It may be best to just see how we do in the Playoffs and than see what happens in July. Not to be negative but I'd rather accpet our fate, whatever it may be THIS season and try to make a much stronger push next season.

Bob McKenzie on Twitter (sorry I don't know how to quote Twitter sources on mobile):

"Bizarre levels of secrecy/intrigue over imminent WSH announcement."

Likely nothing to do with Detroit but could this have something to do with Ovi??

Guest DeGraa55

Bob McKenzie on Twitter (sorry I don't know how to quote Twitter sources on mobile):

"Bizarre levels of secrecy/intrigue over imminent WSH announcement."

Likely nothing to do with Detroit but could this have something to do with Ovi??

I wish it was him to Detroit!