Photo
- - - - -

Could Kenny be working on something HUGE?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:16 AM

Kenny get us Gabs!!

#42 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

AO is awesome...needs a change of scenery, would cost us WAAAY too much. but....3 year window for pav/hank/ovie to get cup.

would that be worth the loss to improve teams drawing power to players?

hmmmm.

as for the real world...trades are cool but,

i can see both sides of the argument...on one hand, yea..its not worth the 1 month of "player" to risk a new young body drafted to play for years, or giving up on a few picks for a vet that "may" be good for 2-3yrs.

but on the other, if you trade away a player prospect or pick on a young player, say mid/late 20's the gamble is worth the risk.

i want streit/yandle/bogo on D...Streit is old, but good...if we were in better position he would be worth it only to go all in.

yandle is mid aged...good solid performer...but is he the D leader?

bogo is young...very worth it...but not ready to lead the D.

On offense, i want burmistrov, fleishmann TODAY!

fleishmann could be had for a resonable amount, emmerton/kindl or mid pick. this would be the gamble.

and burmi...the coach is grumpy with him...THIS i would trade fil and pick for.

so...i get it...is the juice worth the squeeze?

all i know is, we need serious help on the D to lead out pass, and we need a "buddy/russian" for pav to lean him into staying on for another contract.

This is an example of a post that does not have its feet on the ground. You want Streit? Well, Snow has openly said he isn't isn't moving him. You want Burmistrov and Bogosian? Well, Winnipeg is currently leading its division and would dearly like to make the playoffs. Why would Cheveldayoff break up his team?

Fleischmann is, I suppose, a possibility. This depends on price, as with anything. That price, however, will likely be high; Fleischmann is one of the team's best players, and he has two more seasons left on his contract at a reasonable price. I do not think that Florida will let him go.

You can say "I want" as much as you'd like, but unfortunately you're not likely to have that desire fulfilled---and the factors going into that are almost certainly going to be weighted much more heavily toward the market itself than toward KH.

Edited by Crymson, 03 April 2013 - 11:20 AM.

#43 Wings3:16

Wings3:16

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

I've got news for you: hardly anyone makes big deals at the deadline anymore. TSN said this morning that thus far in NHL history, there have been 845 trades on deadline day... and zero of those have happened today. The parity era has obliterated the trade deadline. There are simply too few sellers, and so those teams who are in a position to sell demand ridiculous prices, and the rest have no inclination to do something. No team wants its fanbase to say, "Hey, we were only four points out of the race... why did you lose the season for us by trading away a bunch of assets?"

TSN's deadline show used to be fast-paced and exciting. Today they're sitting around mentioning waiver pickups and talking about how bored they are, and the main subject of today has been the Kiprusoff trade that didn't happen. One of them just made a banana joke.

That's just how it is now. It's not just us sitting around, wishing something big would happen for our team. It's almost everybody.

Catch when they were talking about who had the better shot hitting the water bottles off the nets? lol

Wings in 2013...Bring the Cup back to Hockeytown!

#44 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

Not that any of this needs to be shot down, but Kha(aaaa)n just tweeted that Filppula is on the ice for practice. So there's that. Only noteworthy because it could have other implications.

I'll be happy when this is over so I can go back to not following any hockey analysts / reporters / beat writers / rumor mongers on twitter.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#45 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

While I don't see much happening, I also wouldn't be surprised if Holland traded for Campbell....  Seems like a likely backup plan to Bouwmeester (if that was indeed someone he was gunning for).

#46 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:37 AM

While I don't see much happening, I also wouldn't be surprised if Holland traded for Campbell....  Seems like a likely backup plan to Bouwmeester (if that was indeed someone he was gunning for).

you thought Jbo had a hefty cap hit...

#47 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

Only 4 points out of 3rd, there's no way the Caps trade OV.

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#48 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

Ovechkin being traded? Not on this planet.

#49 RedWingAbner

RedWingAbner

My Loony Bun Is Fine, Benny Lava

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:05 PM

Ken Holland sucks, so no, nothing happens.

#50 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

28/30 GMs suck, then, because that's how many of them haven't acquired significant pieces.

Are you sure you aren't ignoring a bit of perspective here?

#51 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

Thank you for letting us know how you feel, for the 100th time.

#52 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:27 PM

28/30 GMs suck, then, because that's how many of them haven't acquired significant pieces.

Are you sure you aren't ignoring a bit of perspective here?

something we both agree on. I think people are taking this whole no trade thing overboard. They expect kenny to trade the farm and all our picks every year, if we did that we would look like san jose or NYR and end up with stars that don't produce and a team that sits in a bubble. The fact that we lost what we have over the past 4 years and are still a playoff team speaks volumes for itself

#53 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

Helene St. James @HeleneStJames 3h

Got 90 minutes to go before deadline, but have been told #RedWings not doing anything.

#54 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

something we both agree on. I think people are taking this whole no trade thing overboard. They expect kenny to trade the farm and all our picks every year, if we did that we would look like san jose or NYR and end up with stars that don't produce and a team that sits in a bubble. The fact that we lost what we have over the past 4 years and are still a playoff team speaks volumes for itself

It's not a matter of not making a trade, at least in my opinion.  It's a matter of not making a trade or a prominent free agent signing in about 4 years, in conjunction with the fact that this team (or at least it's core) has been woefully inadequate the entire time.  The core group we have is not getting the job done, so either add too it, or rebuild it.  All we seem to do is add bit parts, or do nothing at all.  I just don't understand the strategy.

For example:  Holland doesn't want to trade his first rounder in case we don't make the playoffs.  He doesn't want to trade White or Filppula in case we do.  The whole point of hedging your bets is to stand still until something changes systemically that leaves you in a better position.  I don't know what he thinks is going to change, but clearly it hasn't happened yet, and I don't see anything on the horizon that bodes well for us.  Three years from now we might have Jarnkrok, Nyquist, and Jurco playing decent hockey.  We'll also have Zetterberg, Kronwall, and Franzen playing declining hockey and likely no Datsyuk or Filppula either.  So how does staying put work out in the long run?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#55 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

It's not a matter of not making a trade, at least in my opinion.  It's a matter of not making a trade or a prominent free agent signing in about 4 years, in conjunction with the fact that this team (or at least it's core) has been woefully inadequate the entire time.  The core group we have is not getting the job done, so either add too it, or rebuild it.  All we seem to do is add bit parts, or do nothing at all.  I just don't understand the strategy.

For example:  Holland doesn't want to trade his first rounder in case we don't make the playoffs.  He doesn't want to trade White or Filppula in case we do.  The whole point of hedging your bets is to stand still until something changes systemically that leaves you in a better position.  I don't know what he thinks is going to change, but clearly it hasn't happened yet, and I don't see anything on the horizon that bodes well for us.  Three years from now we might have Jarnkrok, Nyquist, and Jurco playing decent hockey.  We'll also have Zetterberg, Kronwall, and Franzen playing declining hockey and likely no Datsyuk or Filppula either.  So how does staying put work out in the long run?

What I am saying is we shouldn't sell the farm for one cup run like most people suggest, is all. I do think we should have made some good trades the past couple years, but the fact that we haven't and we are still doing as well as we are is astounding

#56 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

when is the last time Kenny worked something huge? Brad Stuart?

#57 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

when is the last time Kenny worked something huge? Brad Stuart?

nope, Kyle Quincey, last year, when he was "going for it"

:hysterical:

#58 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

What I am saying is we shouldn't sell the farm for one cup run like most people suggest, is all. I do think we should have made some good trades the past couple years, but the fact that we haven't and we are still doing as well as we are is astounding

Nobody is suggesting "selling the farm".  Nyquist and a 1st would get a pretty good return, and it wouldn't be detrimental to the long term viability of this team.  It's not like we're talking about trading away 4 or 5 prospects here. 

Moving one or two guys does not equal destroying the future.  Tomas Fleischmann was traded for Robert Lang.  Lang didn't work out, and Fleischmann is a good player, yet our future wasn't destroyed because of it.  Everybody around here acts like if we traded Nyquist or a 1st then all would be lost.  It's silly. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#59 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

Nobody is suggesting "selling the farm".  Nyquist and a 1st would get a pretty good return, and it wouldn't be detrimental to the long term viability of this team.  It's not like we're talking about trading away 4 or 5 prospects here. 

Moving one or two guys does not equal destroying the future.  Tomas Fleischmann was traded for Robert Lang.  Lang didn't work out, and Fleischmann is a good player, yet our future wasn't destroyed because of it.  Everybody around here acts like if we traded Nyquist or a 1st then all would be lost.  It's silly. 

To be fair washington's first round pick ended up in Norris consideration=p, that wasn't a bad trade though Lang was a beast before coming to us, leading scorer I believe.

But, let me know when someone that could help this team is moved. Iginila, Morrow, Jagr etc. are not what we need.

If Eriksson, Gaborik, Pominville etc. get moved then you can start the hate.

Edited by Carman, 03 April 2013 - 12:52 PM.

#60 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

I agree with most of this, except the part where you said no one suggested selling the farm, I have seen people saying we should give up 5-6 prospects, plus picks, franzen, smith, datsyuk, flip(agree on this one) blah blah blah