• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,308 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

Well, I am so sick of this whining about the lack of movement at the deadline, but it's going to keep on flooding in with abundance.  I haven't seen a deal happen yet this year that I felt like if Detroit had made it, they would be in better enough shape to make a Cup run to outweigh the worse shape they would be in going forward.  And LA did win it last year.  Deal with it.  But, but, but, boo freaking hoo, bingo bango all you want.  It happened last year.  Edmonton made it to the Cup finals and took it to 7 games in 2006 as an 8 seed.  And, it remains a possibility this year. 

Pittsburgh just lost 4-1 at home to Buffalo.  I don't think the Pens have a chance now!  They clearly suck terribly.  Oh wait - that's just one game and is totally not indicative of the season and even less so of the yet to happen playoffs.

given last years playoffs performance, it actually may be indicitive of what may be in store for the pens

#22 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

There are hardly any worthwhile players available at even semi-reasonable prices at this deadline. Babcock knows this, so what do you expect him to say? Do you think he'll haul off and exclaim, "Oh, I think we're totally screwed. We just don't have the talent to make it. Everyone should just stop hoping right now. Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs!"

Seriously, enough. The team is good enough to make the playoffs, and there are a lot of great young players in the system.

Injuries or not, Tatar needs to be back up for playoffs and without sending Nyquist down.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#23 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,308 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

Injuries or not, Tatar needs to be back up for playoffs and without sending Nyquist down.

agreed, and without roster restrictions now, that should be the case

#24 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:06 PM

By LGW logic...Pitt needs to win the Cup this year or their GM is af****** idiot for making all these moves correct?

#25 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

All of this trade doom and gloom has me cynical, I can't help but read the title as: "Babcock says all the right things, Abdelkader is delusional..."

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#26 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

Without roster limits, they need to be fielding the best team in order to give this team the best chance at ending this season on a great note and into the playoffs with some confidence. What scares me is that even with roster limits removed and waivers gone, we're still not going to see Tatar up in the big show. I really think he's going to stay down there for the rest of the season. They've said that Andersson has proven his worth, and Nyquist hasn't gotten the true opportunity that he needs, but that Tatar just had better opportunity. They said he did good, but immediately with Lashoff they said, "Come after Wednesday, he's immediately back with us." They haven't said ANYTHING to that extent with Tatar. You have zero excuses now Babs, play the boys that will give you heart and drive ontop of bringing some skill in the bottom 6.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#27 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

IMO we have a decent team, I don't think we have a team that can go all the way. I know as a fan I should support my team all the way but reality is that we have a pretty young Defensive Corps that is still learning and making young people mistakes and I can't see that instantly changing from Regurlar Season To Playoffs. Not saying that I don't still have high hopes for the Wings this season but our younger players have to go through this learning curve just as all of our other players of the past did. Just like Liddy, Holmsy, and yes even Yzerman at one time. Hopefully the Wings will prove me wrong and take us back to the Promised Land but at this point I really don't see that happening.

#28 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

I know that any team can win it once you make the playoffs, but I wouldn't bank on dumb luck like Holland seems to be doing.

I'm not giving up on this team, they could surprise us and magically click and get hot in the playoffs.  They've gotten hot before (not this year, though, so maybe we're due), but not making any moves doesn't help us any.  

The strategy seems to be to muddle through as best they can.  We've got very solid players, but we have very serious holes in every area except goal, and all the work ethic in the world doesn't matter if we can't match up against other teams.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#29 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

Well Abby is simply dumb if he thinks this roster has any shot. Even if Franzen caught fire and we suffered no injuries this team would not be able to sustain a high enough level of play. Instead I'll root for us to continue our playoff streak, look for improvement in our younger players, and root for Dats to make 2nd allstar team and the Selke.

#30 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:58 PM

So am I legitimately the only one that's gonna back Abby up and say that anyone in the top 8 can win it?

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#31 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

By LGW logic...Pitt needs to win the Cup this year or their GM is af****** idiot for making all these moves correct?

Pittsburgh needs to lose 4 straight in the 1st round and go f*** themselves.

Well Abby is simply dumb if he thinks this roster has any shot. Even if Franzen caught fire and we suffered no injuries this team would not be able to sustain a high enough level of play. Instead I'll root for us to continue our playoff streak, look for improvement in our younger players, and root for Dats to make 2nd allstar team and the Selke.

He's in the top 6.  His medula oblongata is out of wack and he thinks the 4 point game he had is gonna be a regular showings in the playoffs.  He already bought a red carpet to roll out for when they deliver the imaginary cup to his house.

Without roster limits, they need to be fielding the best team in order to give this team the best chance at ending this season on a great note and into the playoffs with some confidence. What scares me is that even with roster limits removed and waivers gone, we're still not going to see Tatar up in the big show. I really think he's going to stay down there for the rest of the season. They've said that Andersson has proven his worth, and Nyquist hasn't gotten the true opportunity that he needs, but that Tatar just had better opportunity. They said he did good, but immediately with Lashoff they said, "Come after Wednesday, he's immediately back with us." They haven't said ANYTHING to that extent with Tatar. You have zero excuses now Babs, play the boys that will give you heart and drive ontop of bringing some skill in the bottom 6.

That's cause the AHL's Calder Cup is where it's at!  I hope we see a 2nd line of Cleary-Franzen-Sammy in game 1 of the playoffs.  Franzen at centre would showcase his hustle.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#32 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

So am I legitimately the only one that's gonna back Abby up and say that anyone in the top 8 can win it?

Yes, there's a certain formula for the low seeds that go a long way. 

#1: They are usually scrappy, and physical.

#2: They usually are riding a really hot goalie and a good defense.

#3: They usually do it when the Wings are supposed to win it all.

But seriously, the Wings don't have the kind of depth or makeups that the last few teams that were low seeds that went far did, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Edited by Shaman464, 03 April 2013 - 05:48 PM.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#33 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,308 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

I do too, but don't say it too loudly, the LGW doom and gloomers will suck all of our hopeful optimism from us, with numbers and logic and stuff. What they don't realize is that a team with heart and fire can outwork the most talented team in the world

Yes, there's a certain formula for the low seeds that go a long way. 

#1: They are usually scrappy, and physical.

#2: They usually are riding a really hot goalie and a good defense.

#3: They usually do it when the Wings are supposed to win it all.

when was the last time the wings were suppose to win it all, that a low seed team made a deep run?

#34 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

I definitely think so too, but with the lineup decisions we're seeing with this team I don't know. 

Holland/Babcock actually seems to think we should have Cleary and Abdelkader in our top 6. That Tatar isn't NHL ready. That playmakers like Nyquist and Datsyuk should be playing with...grinders. 

IF, and that's a BIG if, the right group of players are in the lineup, and are put together in the right way, I think we'll see some sparks. 

Franzen-Datsyuk-Brunner

Filppula-Zetterberg-Miller

Nyquist-Andersson-Tatar

Abdelkader-Emmerton-Tootoo

Assuming Helm and Bert don't get/stay healthy. 

Our defense could be our downfall in the playoffs, but we have to put our hopes in Dekeyeser being solid and everyone saving their best hockey for last. 

#35 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,308 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

I definitely think so too, but with the lineup decisions we're seeing with this team I don't know. 

Holland/Babcock actually seems to think we should have Cleary and Abdelkader in our top 6. That Tatar isn't NHL ready. That playmakers like Nyquist and Datsyuk should be playing with...grinders. 

IF, and that's a BIG if, the right group of players are in the lineup, and are put together in the right way, I think we'll see some sparks. 

Franzen-Datsyuk-Brunner

Filppula-Zetterberg-Miller

Nyquist-Andersson-Tatar

Abdelkader-Emmerton-Tootoo

Assuming Helm and Bert don't get/stay healthy. 

Our defense could be our downfall in the playoffs, but we have to put our hopes in Dekeyeser being solid and everyone saving their best hockey for last. 

unfortunately Tatar will not be in the lineup, as someone else mentioned, we have apparently used all of our call ups for the year, and can only call up GR players in emergencies now

#36 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:57 PM

I do too, but don't say it too loudly, the LGW doom and gloomers will suck all of our hopeful optimism from us, with numbers and logic and stuff. What they don't realize is that a team with heart and fire can outwork the most talented team in the world

when was the last time the wings were suppose to win it all, that a low seed team made a deep run?

That was a joke based on when Anaheim, Calgary, and Edmonton upset stocked Wings teams and went onto the finals.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#37 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:57 PM

Sunday was not a clear representation of hawks v wings. fluke game, took them to OT and SO in the 2 matchups already played.

And although its unlikely, why cant our offense just turn it on and get hot for a month. Once we get Z back thats hopefully a boost for filp and Brunner. Franzen is capable, just streaky.

Anything can happen.

Name me the last team similar to the 2013 Red Wings in style of play and talent, that won the Stanley Cup?

I challenge anyone here to answer this post.  

I'm tired of the anything can happen bulls***.   

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#38 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

Name me the last team similar to the 2013 Red Wings in style of play and talent, that won the Stanley Cup?

Someone mentioned the 71 Habs. No idea how accurate that is. It worked 40 years ago I guess!

#39 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

Someone mentioned the 71 Habs. No idea how accurate that is. It worked 40 years ago I guess!

LOFL  :lol:   

Jean Believeau

Jacques Lemaire

Ken Dryden

Guy Lapointe

Henri Richard

Serge Savard

Pete Mahovlich

Yvan Cournoyer

Rogie Vachon

Does this roster remind you of the limp d*cked 2013 Red Wings?  Whoever mentioned that should never watch hockey again.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#40 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

I don't know how you can be tired of it when it is grossly outnumbered here by negative posts like yours.

• DSM likes this