Jacques Lemaire

Ken Dryden

Guy Lapointe

Henri Richard

Serge Savard

Pete Mahovlich

Yvan Cournoyer

Rogie Vachon

Does this roster remind you of the limp d*cked 2013 Red Wings?  Whoever mentioned that should never watch hockey again.

Well we got Ian White, Danny Cleary, and Kyle Quincey. Not to mention Bert and Sammy coming back from injury they might as well be deadline additions. :bye:

I don't know how you can be tired of it when it is grossly outnumbered here by negative posts like yours.

Hard not to be negative when it's clearly the worst Red Wings roster since.. I don't know before Fedorov was drafted?

Edited by Number19, 03 April 2013 - 08:30 PM.

#42 fat guy in a maltby jersey

fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

if abdelkader honestly thinks that this team can win the cup, then he's as dumb off the ice as he is on it.

#43 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:52 PM

Well we got Ian White, Danny Cleary, and Kyle Quincey. Not to mention Bert and Sammy coming back from injury they might as well be deadline additions. :bye:

Hard not to be negative when it's clearly the worst Red Wings roster since.. I don't know before Fedorov was drafted?

I understand that.  It doesn't mean that people should feel obligated to take every opportunity to spread their doom and gloom every time a miniscule ray of sun shines through the proverbial rain cloud of negativity that is this board. 

#44 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,709 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:53 PM

I understand that.  It doesn't mean that people should feel obligated to take every opportunity to spread their doom and gloom every time a miniscule ray of sun shines through the proverbial rain cloud of negativity that is this board. 

This coming from a guy named barabbas.   :sleepy:

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#45 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:00 PM

unfortunately Tatar will not be in the lineup, as someone else mentioned, we have apparently used all of our call ups for the year, and can only call up GR players in emergencies now

Actually, I believe that only applies to the regular season. So, if that is the case, Tatar could be used as a black ace during the playoffs. Sucks he can't be used during these last 12 games. I could see the team getting hot going into the playoffs and Babcock not wanting to mess with any combinations, so Tatar probably wouldn't even get used. BUT, at the same time I think Babcock would switch Goose and Tatar in/out during a 7 game series if needed.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#46 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:03 PM

LMFAO... Somebody must have watched the Bible series on the history channel haha...

#47 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

And your point is what - that my posts are discounted somehow because of my user name?  I don't see how that is relevant at all.

Or are you just saying that you don't have a legitimate response and just want to go on being negative and raining on any parades that may spring up on the board?  And if someone doesn't like it, well then you'll just turn your negative comments to their user names?

#48 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:07 PM

if abdelkader honestly thinks that this team can win the cup, then he's as dumb off the ice as he is on it.

Well I've heard some of the players nickname Abs and Helm "Dumb and Dumber".

Also, wanted to share a couple quotes I found humorous. First one by Babcock:

http://www.mlive.com...abcock_c_1.html

“I never ever felt like we were going to do anything, to be honest with you,'' Babcock said. “Kind of like what we’ve got going and the direction we’re heading. We’ve got some kids that are really coming.

“We’re trying to figure out which kids will help us be successful. There are a few more kids in the minors, particularly (Riley) Sheahan I’d like to have a look at as well.''

I'm sure he likes the challenge of teaching these kids and staying competitive, since they'll actually listen to him and not tune him out. But what I found funny was he already knows what the drill is when it comes to the trade deadline.

Holland:

http://www.mlive.com...lland_made.html

“We played (Monday) and there wasn’t (Henrik) Zetterberg, Samuelsson, Bertuzzi, Helm, (Kyle) Quincey,'' Holland said. “If we can get those five guys in the lineup (within) two weeks, I couldn’t do any better moves than (that). And if they don’t come back, it probably doesn’t matter what moves you make.''

You see guys, he never said that famous line...oh wait, that cunning bastard...

But, he was trying to get a trade done. I felt we needed a player or two to make a push in the playoffs in my opinion, but it appears that "the asking price was too high," or rather, Kenny tried to undercut his offers by offering lower picks/prospects the other GMs didn't like.

With that said, I'm not mad. Kinda glad we kept our prospects. I actually wish that if he did make a trade that it would be for picks instead, but to each their own. Guess we'll ride out another empty season.

Edited by dropkickshanahans, 03 April 2013 - 09:08 PM.

#49 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:11 PM

Well I've heard some of the players nickname Abs and Helm "Dumb and Dumber".

Also, wanted to share a couple quotes I found humorous. First one by Babcock:

http://www.mlive.com...abcock_c_1.html

I'm sure he likes the challenge of teaching these kids and staying competitive, since they'll actually listen to him and not tune him out. But what I found funny was he already knows what the drill is when it comes to the trade deadline.

Holland:

http://www.mlive.com...lland_made.html

You see guys, he never said that famous line...oh wait, that cunning bastard...

But, he was trying to get a trade done. I felt we needed a player or two to make a push in the playoffs in my opinion, but it appears that "the asking price was too high," or rather, Kenny tried to undercut his offers by offering lower picks/prospects the other GMs didn't like.

With that said, I'm not mad. Kinda glad we kept our prospects. I actually wish that if he did make a trade that it would be for picks instead, but to each their own. Guess we'll ride out another empty season.

:lol: Man he's getting good at this.

#50 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,709 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:12 PM

And your point is what - that my posts are discounted somehow because of my user name?  I don't see how that is relevant at all.

Or are you just saying that you don't have a legitimate response and just want to go on being negative and raining on any parades that may spring up on the board?  And if someone doesn't like it, well then you'll just turn your negative comments to their user names?

I make my posts because I believe in what I say.  I don't need a legitimate reason to back up speaking my mind.    

The user name thing was a joke.  I make them occasionally to stay sane.

And what parades are you talking about? It's just me disagreeing with other posters. No one here is having a parade.   

Edited by GMRwings1983, 03 April 2013 - 09:13 PM.

#51 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:33 PM

I make my posts because I believe in what I say.  I don't need a legitimate reason to back up speaking my mind.    

The user name thing was a joke.  I make them occasionally to stay sane.

And what parades are you talking about? It's just me disagreeing with other posters. No one here is having a parade.   

Ok - no offense taken then for the user name joke. 

Lol.  Clearly, I didn't mean a literal parade.  I just don't understand the overwhelming negative attitude here.  I mean, I was a little disappointed just because it's cool to have something new happen at the deadline for Detroit.  And yeah, this team is far from one of the better ones in Detroit for several years.... but we all knew that going in.  Honestly, I was kind of pumped coming into this season.  The first real chance to get a good look at Smith at the NHL level.  New captain - how does Zetterberg handle the 'C'?  How does the team step up in general without Lidstrom?  Brunner comes in from Switzerland - what's he got?  And then the injuries happened, but we got our first real good look at Tatar at the NHL level because of it.  Kindl's season has been a pleasant surprise, Lashoff as well. Even Mrazek.  But I never seriously thought this team had a legitimate chance at the Cup this year, did you?  Even with a deadline deal.  I just hoped they had enough to make the playoffs to keep the streak alive.  And, if they didn't... well, maybe they'd get a good 1st round draft pick for once and we'd see what happened there.  It's a down year, yeah.  But, it's a damned good down year when you can make the playoffs and it's this interesting.

I kind of rambled some thoughts out there.  I guess.... I can understand some disappointment, but not the level of negativity that we are seeing here.  Thoughts?

#52 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:39 PM

Lol.  Clearly, I didn't mean a literal parade.  I just don't understand the overwhelming negative attitude here.  I mean, I was a little disappointed just because it's cool to have something new happen at the deadline for Detroit.  And yeah, this team is far from one of the better ones in Detroit for several years.... but we all knew that going in.  Honestly, I was kind of pumped coming into this season.  The first real chance to get a good look at Smith at the NHL level.  New captain - how does Zetterberg handle the 'C'?  How does the team step up in general without Lidstrom?  Brunner comes in from Switzerland - what's he got?  And then the injuries happened, but we got our first real good look at Tatar at the NHL level because of it.  Kindl's season has been a pleasant surprise, Lashoff as well. Even Mrazek.  But I never seriously thought this team had a legitimate chance at the Cup this year, did you?  Even with a deadline deal.  I just hoped they had enough to make the playoffs to keep the streak alive.  And, if they didn't... well, maybe they'd get a good 1st round draft pick for once and we'd see what happened there.  It's a down year, yeah.  But, it's a damned good down year when you can make the playoffs and it's this interesting.

I kind of rambled some thoughts out there.  I guess.... I can understand some disappointment, but not the level of negativity that we are seeing here.  Thoughts?

I thought the exact same before we got embarrassed 7-1 on Gordie Howe day on national TV by our biggest rivals. I thought we were passed that after opening night. To me that isn't Red Wings hockey, that was one of the more disgraceful things I've seen. Pavs seemed to be the one who cared cause he was crushing Toews into the boards. I'm gonna miss him if he leaves. No one is ever held accountable on this team, in this organization, in recent past. For example Legace gets run out of town after one playoff series but Howard leads us to 3 straight early exits because "he's our guy", and we "like our team".

Edited by Number19, 03 April 2013 - 09:46 PM.

#53 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:42 PM

Barrabas- I think it has to do with more factors than just typical Holland bashing, or no acquisitions today. The team struggling more this year, the Olsen twin marriage, retread signings, and the status quo comments by Holland all added up to the perfect storm today. I am critical of Holland at times because it's not in my personality to rest on past laurels. However seeing what Feaster did this week, along with Dallas as two examples make me thankful for Holland. I'm greedy tho and I want more cup parades, not just playoff appearances if that makes sense...

#54 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,709 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:49 PM

I thought the exact same before we got embarrassed 7-1 on Gordie Howe day on national TV by our biggest rivals. I thought we were passed that after opening night. To me that isn't Red Wings hockey, that was one of the more disgraceful things I've seen. Pavs seemed to be the one who cared cause he was crushing Toews into the boards. I'm gonna miss him if he leaves. No one is ever held accountable on this team, in this organzation, in recent past.

Somebody got an avatar.

Honestly, a lot of dislike others and myself have for Holland stems from the last few deadlines and free agent periods.  His inactivity and doing nothing as Lidstrom was retiring.  Then today happens where he does nothing again.  It just boils over.  Then he comes back with the same catchphrases and excuses.  Enough is enough.  If he doesn't want to do anything anymore, maybe he can move on.  

To answer your question, I didn't think we'd be a Cup contender this year.  But lately I did think we'd make a signing to increase our playoff streak.  Right now, the streak is in jeopardy.  While I don't think "anything" can happen in the playoffs, like some others think, I still think making the playoffs is important.  We didn't need to mortgage our entire team today, but a trade here and there would have helped our chances.    

#55 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

Somebody got an avatar.

Figured with all this doom saying and complaining I've been doing today I at least owe the forums some eye-candy.

#56 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,709 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:52 PM

Barrabas- I think it has to do with more factors than just typical Holland bashing, or no acquisitions today. The team struggling more this year, the Olsen twin marriage, retread signings, and the status quo comments by Holland all added up to the perfect storm today. I am critical of Holland at times because it's not in my personality to rest on past laurels. However seeing what Feaster did this week, along with Dallas as two examples make me thankful for Holland. I'm greedy tho and I want more cup parades, not just playoff appearances if that makes sense...

Yeah, I also think Hockeytown stands for a team that wants to win Cups, and not just make the playoffs.

But if we give up on this season, it's not a good pattern for the future.  None of our prospects are good enough to be star players that can carry us to a Cup in the next year or two.  

We'll have to make moves on the market if we want to compete with other teams.  

#57 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:57 PM

Anything can happen, look at LA last year GMR. Never lose faith!

#58 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,709 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:07 PM

Anything can happen, look at LA last year GMR. Never lose faith!

I know.  

Just look at the '80 Islanders.   

#59 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:11 PM

Ok... Well, fortunately I did not get to see the 7-1 Chicago loss.  I am sure it was terrible, but I don't personally feel like I can say much one way or the other based on one game... national television and against a rival or not - at least not one regular season game.  I don't really agree on the Legace/Howard 1 to 1 comparison, but I won't get into that.

MasterPavel - I'm with you.  I'm greedy too, and I honestly have felt like the Wings had a legitimate shot for a long period of time.  And we have all gotten used to that.  But in a salary cap world it is just not realistic to expect that to continue on indefinitely.  I agree with GMR too, though, in that making the playoffs and the streak matters to me.  And, I think that can happen with the current roster.

GMR - You're probably going to hate my bringing this up (and I do too, to be honest), but Holland DID make a move last season.  Clearly that has not worked out the way that any of us, or Holland I'm sure, wishes... but he did do something.  Yeah, I know he stood pat some years prior to that.  And it does seem like he says the same thing every year.  I'll give you that... it's kind of annoying.  But, what do you want him to say?  And, which deals specifically that happened do you wish the Wings had made for this year's deadline?

Oh.... and as for what can happen in the playoffs... come on, man.  It may be a really small possibility, but anything CAN happen in the playoffs......

Lloyd: What do you think the chances are of a guy like you and a girl like me... ending up together?
Mary: Well, Lloyd, that's difficult to say. I mean, we don't really...
Lloyd: Hit me with it! Just give it to me straight! I came a long way just to see you, Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
Mary: Not good.
Lloyd: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
Mary: I'd say more like one out of a million.
[pause]
Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance... *YEAH!*

#60 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,709 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:18 PM

Ok... Well, fortunately I did not get to see the 7-1 Chicago loss.  I am sure it was terrible, but I don't personally feel like I can say much one way or the other based on one game... national television and against a rival or not - at least not one regular season game.  I don't really agree on the Legace/Howard 1 to 1 comparison, but I won't get into that.

MasterPavel - I'm with you.  I'm greedy too, and I honestly have felt like the Wings had a legitimate shot for a long period of time.  And we have all gotten used to that.  But in a salary cap world it is just not realistic to expect that to continue on indefinitely.  I agree with GMR too, though, in that making the playoffs and the streak matters to me.  And, I think that can happen with the current roster.

GMR - You're probably going to hate my bringing this up (and I do too, to be honest), but Holland DID make a move last season.  Clearly that has not worked out the way that any of us, or Holland I'm sure, wishes... but he did do something.  Yeah, I know he stood pat some years prior to that.  And it does seem like he says the same thing every year.  I'll give you that... it's kind of annoying.  But, what do you want him to say?  And, which deals specifically that happened do you wish the Wings had made for this year's deadline?

Oh.... and as for what can happen in the playoffs... come on, man.  It may be a really small possibility, but anything CAN happen in the playoffs......

Lloyd: What do you think the chances are of a guy like you and a girl like me... ending up together?
Mary: Well, Lloyd, that's difficult to say. I mean, we don't really...
Lloyd: Hit me with it! Just give it to me straight! I came a long way just to see you, Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
Mary: Not good.
Lloyd: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
Mary: I'd say more like one out of a million.
[pause]
Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance... *YEAH!*

I wish we approached Calgary.  Feaster was in a mood to trade ice cream for s***.  

Also, I would have liked a move for Jagr.  We wouldn't have to give up much and it would increase our playoff push.  I know he'd have no future with the team, but it'd be worth a small risk. At the very least, a real winger to play with Datsyuk.

The Clowe thing baffles me.  It'd be hard to outbid the Rangers because they gave up so much.  He was someone I thought could use a new future somewhere else.  I was hoping Detroit.  We'll see how that turns out.  

Edited by GMRwings1983, 03 April 2013 - 10:19 PM.