• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Official NHL Trade Deadline thread

Rate this topic

"Prices too high"

No they aren't, the prices are rock bottom. No team overpaid for any player other than perhaps Hanzus. Holland doesn't seem to know the difference between quality versus quanity. He's hording all these prospects which will go nowhere. Gaborik, Roy, Pominville, Iginla, Meester, Jagr, every signifcant player traded, was traded for NOTHING. Worthless prospects and draft picks aren't high prices. Trading one great player for 2 crappy prospects and picks isn't high prices. One good player is worth more than 3 crappy players everytime.

Edited by TheOwl

Moore is not Brendan Smith.

He's a year younger, and put up close to the same numbers in the AHL. The difference between the two is Moore is much better defensively, yet doesn't move and have the puck skills that Smith has. They are both 20-30 first round picks.

Guest Playmaker

Tampa now has two unproven goaltenders and just lost a very good prospect, if you are willing to deal Conacher why not add a 2 and another prospect and try to get a great goaltender? WoW Stevie dropped the ball here.

Maybe it's a 3 way trade to get Luongo from Vancouver?? Heard he's been pulled from practice

Yeah Dorsett was the heart of their team. It wouldn't be quite like us losing Helm, but close. And Brassard/Moore is like us losing Filpulla signed to a 3 million deal for a another year, and Brendan Smith.

Not saying I wouldn't do it, but we all saw what happened to New York when they lost the heart and soul aspect and loaded up no high end talent. You need good depth players.

And Minnesota gave up the equivalent of Mrazek, Jarnkrok for Pominville. It's a risky trade.

I don't know how I feel. Slighty disappointed, but the more I think about it it's not as bad as it seems to me.

John Moore is no Brendan Smith. He's not even the best young defenseman on that team and he has essentially no upside.

"Prices too high"

No they aren't, the prices are rock bottom. No team overpaid for any player other than perhaps Hanzus. Holland doesn't seem to know the difference between quality versus quanity. He's hording all these prospects which will go nowhere. Gaborik, Roy, Pominville, Iginla, Meester, Jagr, every signifcant player traded, was traded for NOTHING. Worthless prospects and draft picks aren't high prices.

That's crazy. Pominville was traded for our equivalent of Jarnkrok and Mrazek...that's the real deal. Gaborik brought back 3 NHL players...that's a real deal.

"Prices too high"

No they aren't, the prices are rock bottom. No team overpaid for any player other than perhaps Hanzus. Holland doesn't seem to know the difference between quality versus quanity. He's hording all these prospects which will go nowhere. Gaborik, Roy, Pominville, Iginla, Meester, Jagr, every signifcant player traded, was traded for NOTHING. Worthless prospects and draft picks aren't high prices.

This right here

Could have got Gaborik for Flip and a couple plugs

Stafford if probably very affordable looking at all the previous trades

I'm going to be the darkhorse here and not blame this all on Ken Holland like all the other fans. Why? Because I understand that Holland COULD"VE tried to get all he could. What honestly did he have to play with? Ian White? Filp? Great, two players that would be RENTALS. You think we're going to cash in and get a top-6 player or top-4 defensemen with two players that contracts end at the expiration of this season? For all we know, Holland could've been on the phones for the past who knows how long -- TRYING his best -- only to get turned down on the other side.

Everyone is so fixated on just getting rid of White and Filp but you have to understand, if you wanted any value out of these players they would have to get packaged with a top prospect and/or picks. No rightful GM is going to take on a rental and give up top roster players. So, if we could all calm the hell down, stop thinking that the world is over and re-evaluate things, you will be in a much better mood today.

Does it SUCK that we didn't do anything? Yeah, but at the same time atleast we have a GM that won't just trade away things to trade away things. Holland is one of the few GM's in this league that will keep his team competitive. Stop thinking you need to win the Stanley Cup every year. You could be in a fan base that hasn't made the playoffs within 20 years, you could be that franchise that hasn't won a cup in 40 years, but guess what? WE AREN'T AND HAVEN'T DEALT WITH THAT SINCE 21 SEASONS AGO! We've been in the playoffs for 21 straight seasons, and we won frickin 4 Stanley Cups within that timeline. Some of you guys are seriously just looking to get some "change", and "change" isn't always going to result in good things.

Look at the penguins (this is a s***ty example but roll with it gents);

They add Iggy, Morrow, and Murray. They play last night and get steam-rolled by BUFFALO 4-1. They had picked up those 3 and people were immediately dawning their names on the Stanley Cup. Crosby goes down and their line-up looks shaken now. We don't even know how this is going to end with all these franchises that made moves today. For all we know, every team today that traded could go on losing streaks because it screwed with chemistry.

Moral of the story:

STOP BEING PESSIMIST AND START BEING A LITTLE FRICKIN OPTIMISTIC GENTS.

He's a year younger, and put up close to the same numbers in the AHL. The difference between the two is Moore is much better defensively, yet doesn't move and have the puck skills that Smith has. They are both 20-30 first round picks.

If Moore was anywhere near Smith he would have meant much more to Columbus. Erixon, Murray were much more highly regarded and Smith is arguably better than Erixon but not as highly regarded as Murray.

No I meant Howson. Hes looking for work right?

Edit: lol it was sarcasm either way

Lol I figures you were being sarcastic anyway.

John Moore is no Brendan Smith. He's not even the best young defenseman on that team and he has essentially no upside.

In what world does a 19 year old that played 67 games and 15 minutes a night have no upside? John Moore doesn't have the offensive upside, but he's a much better defensive guy and he hasn't played too well. But Smith hasn't exactly lit the world on fire this year either.

I do think Smith is a better prospect, but it's not a huge difference.

I see that two teams that we are playing this week lost pieces. Torres and O'byrne are out of their teams and the wings get back Z and get the addition of Dekeyser. Helm's going to push his back this week. We will see. Relax and stay away from the ledge. O and if you think Tartar won't be up with the roster expansion your nuts.

I'm going to be the darkhorse here and not blame this all on Ken Holland like all the other fans. Why? Because I understand that Holland COULD"VE tried to get all he could. What honestly did he have to play with? Ian White? Filp? Great, two players that would be RENTALS.

And whose fault is that?

I am happy right now i mean think guys when Bert helm and Sammy are al back we will not onl.y make the playoffs but also win 16 straight on our way to that coveted 12th stanley cup its all on the horizon now YES! and its because we like our team!!!!!

*ALarm goes off* yup there we go..... :sleepy:

Edited by sjr2012

I see that two teams that we are playing this week lost pieces. Torres and O'byrne are out of their teams and the wings get back Z and get the addition of Dekeyser. Helm's going to push his back this week. We will see. Relax and stay away from the ledge. O and if you think Tartar won't be up with the roster expansion your nuts.

I could honestly see them not having Tatar up.

Yep, fire Holland. Hire Howson!

1. Howson is not their GM anymore.

2. Amidst, all the s*** talking about Howson, people conveniently forget how much better that team got over the last two years. They only acquired Wisniewski, Johnson, Aucoin, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Letestu, Foligno, Tyutin, Umberger, Prospal, Bobrovsky and two 1st round picks under Howson. We got Samuelsson, Tootoo, Quincey, White, Commodore, and Gustavsson during the same time frame. Hmmm...

Not saying I want Howson to replace Holland, but that team got noticeably better under his tenure. So while it's fun to make jokes, he didn't do a bad job.

I'm going to be the darkhorse here and not blame this all on Ken Holland like all the other fans. Why? Because I understand that Holland COULD"VE tried to get all he could. What honestly did he have to play with? Ian White? Filp? Great, two players that would be RENTALS. You think we're going to cash in and get a top-6 player or top-4 defensemen with two players that contracts end at the expiration of this season? For all we know, Holland could've been on the phones for the past who knows how long -- TRYING his best -- only to get turned down on the other side.

Everyone is so fixated on just getting rid of White and Filp but you have to understand, if you wanted any value out of these players they would have to get packaged with a top prospect and/or picks. No rightful GM is going to take on a rental and give up top roster players. So, if we could all calm the hell down, stop thinking that the world is over and re-evaluate things, you will be in a much better mood today.

Does it SUCK that we didn't do anything? Yeah, but at the same time atleast we have a GM that won't just trade away things to trade away things. Holland is one of the few GM's in this league that will keep his team competitive. Stop thinking you need to win the Stanley Cup every year. You could be in a fan base that hasn't made the playoffs within 20 years, you could be that franchise that hasn't won a cup in 40 years, but guess what? WE AREN'T AND HAVEN'T DEALT WITH THAT SINCE 21 SEASONS AGO! We've been in the playoffs for 21 straight seasons, and we won frickin 4 Stanley Cups within that timeline. Some of you guys are seriously just looking to get some "change", and "change" isn't always going to result in good things.

They add Iggy, Morrow, and Murray. They play last night and get steam-rolled by BUFFALO 4-1. They had picked up those 3 and people were immediately dawning their names on the Stanley Cup. Crosby goes down and their line-up looks shaken now. We don't even know how this is going to end with all these franchises that made moves today. For all we know, every team today that traded could go on losing streaks because it screwed with chemistry.

Moral of the story:

To be clear, I really didn't want Holland giving up assets for someone who would be a UFA this summer and likely re-sign somewhere else.

But I don't agree with the logic of the bolded section. Whether he was on the phone for hours and made thousands of calls or whether he made one doesn't really matter. Either way he didn't get a deal done. It's no consolation to me if he were repeatedly trying and failing.

The physicality and intensity of the playoffs will destroy Brunner's life, Dekeyser is fresh out of college and will be great down the road but can't expect the world from him coming into the lineup tmrw. Helm will need at least 5-7 games to get back to game shape. Samuelsson is cooked and Bert's back is always questionable.

Moral of the story:

I'm totally optimistic about a team that's barely .500 and has been murdered in the playoffs for three straight years without making one meaningful improvement. What should we be optimistic about? That in 3 or 4 years we MIGHT have Jarnkrok, Jurco, Frk, Nysquist, on the team and they MIGHT actually have decent careers. Yep, there's always a silver lining...oh wait, during that same time we MIGHT lose Datsyuk and Flip, and Zetterberg, Kronwall, and Franzen PROBABLY will be in the decline.

To be clear, I really didn't want Holland giving up assets for someone who would be a UFA this summer and likely re-sign somewhere else.

But I don't agree with the logic of the bolded section. Whether he was on the phone for hours and made thousands of calls or whether he made one doesn't really matter. Either way he didn't get a deal done. It's no consolation to me if he were repeatedly trying and failing.

He stated that he wasn't parting with his 1st round pick, and he wasn't giving up top prospects. That leaves us to having decent prospects and two players that are currently on their contract years. For what this fanbase was asking for, it wasn't going to get it done. Unless Kenny was willing to part with those, it simply wasn't going to happen.

At the same time, I feel like if Holland did pull a trade today, and he DID use a top prospect or the 1st rounder, he would've been killed on this forum anyways. The guy just can't win in the eyes of this fanbase, ever. Unless he brings a Stanley Cup to Detroit, the fan base hates him. It just doesn't make sense.

It's like we want our rich parents to supply us with 1 year, 1 million dollars instead of 10 years given 100,000 dollars. If we have our head on our shoulders, we would take the continued payments of $100,000 every year, for 10 years instead of having the joy of $1,000,000 for a single year. I would rather have a chance at winning the cup every year by making the playoffs, than winning 1 cup within ten years while never making the playoffs during that stretch.

But, like everything, that's just my personal opinion.