• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Official NHL Trade Deadline thread

Rate this topic

They got jokinen today, but Murray morrow and iginla they've already played a couple games with

So are you saying 2 games is enough to tell what it's done to team chemistry?

Even if they lose so many games they barely make the playoffs, the ultimate test of these trades will be what the Pens do in the postseason.

But LGW is crazy! LGW is overreacting doom sayers!

Some of us don't want to wait for 2nd tier prospects to ripen while our generational talents age and retire.

So are you saying 2 games is enough to tell what it's done to team chemistry?

Even if they lose so many games they barely make the playoffs, the ultimate test of these trades will be what the Pens do in the postseason.

The only joy I have left after today is mocking the pens. Let me have that at least

And there's no way that has anything to do with the best hockey player in the world being out in those two games.

Depth? Don't forget, they just traded for "2 Captains"

And Dats is the best until he retires. Points aren't the only thing that makes a player great. Dats is better at every other aspect of the game.

And Dats is the best until he retires. Points aren't the only thing that makes a player great. Dats is better at every other aspect of the game.

Crosby's game has really developed, any defensive flaws he has is more than made up with his offensive dominance.

Look at how good he is along the boards.

crosby.gif

Hey you won't get an argument from me. :D If Dats was healthy every season I think you'd see him get a lot more Hart consideration among other awards.

When I heard that trade last year I spit my beer out. This has to be the worst trade I've seen the Red Wings make.

It isn't one of Holland's finer moments. He probably didn't want to trade Quincey today out of fear he'd make another mistake in a deal with him.

Kept lesser players over him, lost him for nothing on waivers, watched him play big minutes in LA and Colorado, then gave up too much to get him back.

I really am glad that Holland didn't spend picks or prospects to bring in Gaborik. He is injury prone and isn't worth his 7.5 million dollar cap hit. Pomminville was the only guy I would even consider, and he isn't a top 6 winger like the Wings need. Boumeester isn't worth it either.

One of two things are going to happen.....

Either the Wings fall flat on their faces in the next couple years, fade away from playoff contention, Holland gets fired, and the collective whiners here will yell I told you so and sprint off to the Penguins forum board to become new fans....

Or....

The Wings will retool and rebuild over the course of the next couple years, and return younger and stronger in a couple years. They will be in a better position to win a cup then, so the collective whiners will stick around and cheer their team on.

Either way, its a win/win for me. This forum really does need an enema. For too long, Wings fans have been gifted with high caliber teams and 4 Stanley Cups. The Wings fans are spoiled. Hell, I know I am. You can thank the NHL for making league parity a top concern. No longer can teams try to buy a cup. The salary cap has leveled the playing field. To expect a team to compete for the cup every year is ludicrous. Making the playoffs should be the new benchmark now. Once your team gets in, then anything can happen.

At this point, I am going to support the Wings as they work to make the playoffs. I call on every Wings fan to do the same thing. Stand behind your team. Stand behind your Wings management. Its that simple.

Hell, I would be really pissed if Holland offered that. Pomminville isn't worth that.

I love this post. Kudos

For every one saying Holland lacked the "balls" to do anything, I've already posted this but:

“We offered some of (prospects). At the end of the day someone didn’t like them as much as we do or they liked someone else’s players better.”

He made an effort to acquire someone. Other teams outbid him. Maybe it's not a matter of him not making an effort, but a matter of our prospects not being viewed as highly as someone else's? If Holland moved Nyquist, Mrazek and a 1st and 2nd to get Pominville, would you be happy? I'd be pissed off.

Except that didn't happen. Minnesota gave two prospects. One who wasn't as good as Jarnkrok in the SEL and a goalie prospect coming off a losing record in the AHL. Pretty sure we could have topped that without "selling the farm".

Edited by kipwinger

I hope some of you read this in a few days and see how ridiculous you sound. Outside of trying to move White and maybe Filppula (because of the rumored salary demands), not much else makes sense. We're a middle of the pack team on the rebuild. You don't sacrifice prospect depth in this league, anymore. Not to be knocked out in the first or second round.

I'm totally fine with this team standing pat this year, because I'm come to the terms that the Red Wings will most likely not win the Cup this season. It is what it is.

Wild fans are pissed about the trade so should they, they have given up a lot for a top 6 player, who will be an UFA after this year. I don't know why some teams are thinking, patchfixing things would lead to any longterm success?

Thanx Puck Daddy! You nailed it!

Detroit Red Wings: F

Kent Huskins for a conditional seventh-rounder was all GM Ken Holland did at the deadline. They whiffed on Jay Bouwmeester and couldn’t entice Dallas to deal Jagr to them. As Holland said: "We made offers. At the end of the day, maybe somebody likes somebody else's players better." In the end, the Wings are still a win-now team, given their roster, but couldn’t add anything to the mix. But hey, at least it wasn't a first-rounder for Kyle Quincey again.

I am glad we didn't over pay for players like Jay Bo, Marion,,,, or Jager. I am just thankful Kenny couldn't make a deal to bring Lilja back for a first rounder. Whrer are Jimmy D & Mr. Illitch?

Guest Crymson

Thanx Puck Daddy! You nailed it!

Detroit Red Wings: F

Kent Huskins for a conditional seventh-rounder was all GM Ken Holland did at the deadline. They whiffed on Jay Bouwmeester and couldn’t entice Dallas to deal Jagr to them. As Holland said: "We made offers. At the end of the day, maybe somebody likes somebody else's players better." In the end, the Wings are still a win-now team, given their roster, but couldn’t add anything to the mix. But hey, at least it wasn't a first-rounder for Kyle Quincey again.

I am glad we didn't over pay for players like Jay Bo, Marion,,,, or Jager. I am just thankful Kenny couldn't make a deal to bring Lilja back for a first rounder. Whrer are Jimmy D & Mr. Illitch?

You know you're having a bad day when you cite Puck Daddy as a good hockey resource.

But LGW is crazy! LGW is overreacting doom sayers!

Wyshynski said it! Therefore it must be true!

Right?

It isn't one of Holland's finer moments. He probably didn't want to trade Quincey today out of fear he'd make another mistake in a deal with him.

Kept players who outplayed him over him, lost him for nothing on waivers, watched him play big minutes in LA and Colorado, then gave up too much to get him back.

Fixed. Quincey had his chance to show his stuff during that rash of injuries in 2008, and he was absolutely overshadowed by Ericsson and Meech (and every one of the regulars, Lebda included). He was invisible during that stretch in the big leagues. He looked serviceable during his short time in the 2007 playoffs---in which he played 6-8 minutes per game against bottom opposition---but nothing more than that.

Choosing Meech over Quincey was really very simple, and I don't think anyone began complaining about it until months down the line. Everyone was quite optimistic about Meech at that stage.

Edited by Crymson

You know you're having a bad day when you cite Puck Daddy as a good hockey resource.

Right?

Fixed. Quincey had his chance to show his stuff during that rash of injuries in 2008, and he was absolutely overshadowed by Ericsson and Meech (and every one of the regulars, Lebda included). He was invisible during that stretch in the big leagues. He looked serviceable during his short time in the 2007 playoffs---in which he played 6-8 minutes per game against bottom opposition---but nothing more than that.

Choosing Meech over Quincey was really very simple, and I don't think anyone began complaining about it until months down the line. Everyone was quite optimistic about Meech at that stage.

Wasn't it more like choosing between Chelios and Quincey though? Sure at the time Meech was better and looked to have more upside, but both were better than Chelios. Hindsight is always 20/20 though and if anyone says they knew Quincey would flourish in LA and become a future 2nd pair defenseman, they're lying.

Wasn't it more like choosing between Chelios and Quincey though? Sure at the time Meech was better and looked to have more upside, but both were better than Chelios. Hindsight is always 20/20 though and if anyone says they knew Quincey would flourish in LA and become a future 2nd pair defenseman, they're lying.

When was Quincey and Meech EVER better than Chelios?? Every year those three played together Chelios had much better numbers

When was Quincey and Meech EVER better than Chelios?? Every year those three played together Chelios had much better numbers

What numbers were better? In 2008-2009, Quincey had 4 goals and 34 assists in 72 games with LA while Chelios has 0 points in 28 games with Detroit. Meech had 7 points in 41 games for Detroit. So in 2008-2009, both had better numbers than Chelios. Plus, Chelios was the 2nd oldest player in NHL history in 2008, so both Quincey and Meech had more upside at that time, too.

It's kind of impossible to compare them in previous years because 08-09 was Quincey's 1st season playing more than 6 games (not including the 2007 playoffs where Quincey played only 8 minutes a night).

I don't think the fans knew it, but you'd hope someone in the Red Wings organization had a better sense of him.

I don't think the Wings lost some stud D man (obviously since he's back). But I don't think it's a stretch to say they mishandled Quincey when you lose him for nothing and he goes on to play 20 minutes a night. Compounded by giving up a first to give him back.

It's not like it's it's on the level of the Adam Oates trade. Just not one of Holland and managements best moments with prospects.

Right?

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/trade+deadline+winners+losers/8191683/story.html

Ten seconds on google found the Sun says they lost too, if I cared enough I am sure I can find more. But, whatever, you and reality have a pretty causal relationship.