• Please log in to reply
717 replies to this topic

#481 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

To be clear, I really didn't want Holland giving up assets for someone who would be a UFA this summer and likely re-sign somewhere else.

But I don't agree with the logic of the bolded section.  Whether he was on the phone for hours and made thousands of calls or whether he made one doesn't really matter.  Either way he didn't get a deal done.  It's no consolation to me if he were repeatedly trying and failing.

He stated that he wasn't parting with his 1st round pick, and he wasn't giving up top prospects. That leaves us to having decent prospects and two players that are currently on their contract years. For what this fanbase was asking for, it wasn't going to get it done. Unless Kenny was willing to part with those, it simply wasn't going to happen. 

At the same time, I feel like if Holland did pull a trade today, and he DID use a top prospect or the 1st rounder, he would've been killed on this forum anyways. The guy just can't win in the eyes of this fanbase, ever. Unless he brings a Stanley Cup to Detroit, the fan base hates him. It just doesn't make sense.

It's like we want our rich parents to supply us with 1 year, 1 million dollars instead of 10 years given 100,000 dollars. If we have our head on our shoulders, we would take the continued payments of $100,000 every year, for 10 years instead of having the joy of $1,000,000 for a single year. I would rather have a chance at winning the cup every year by making the playoffs, than winning 1 cup within ten years while never making the playoffs during that stretch.

But, like everything, that's just my personal opinion.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#482 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

Matt Lombardi to Ducks another player we don't have to worry about now

1rst and a second as well to Buffalo for Pomonville!!!!!!

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#483 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,571 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

Sounds like the Canucks and Leafs did some more heavy flirting regarding Luongo but still couldn't seal the deal. 

#484 Yak19

Yak19

-Playmaker Elite-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts

Ok so if we are keeping all of our prospects and not making a push for this year why are we not playing said prospects?

Oh yeah we would rather fill those spots with Samuelsson, White, Abdelkader, Cleary, and Eaves.

Edited by Yak19, 03 April 2013 - 02:28 PM.

#485 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

TSN cuts off the CBJ GM to show Luongo's press conference.

#486 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,571 posts

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun 19s

Mathew Lombardi to Anaheim for Brandon McMillan

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun 4m

Wade Redden traded to Boston by St. Louis

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun 1m

Steve Sullivan traded to NJ for a 7th rounder

#487 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,153 posts

I'm totally optimistic about a team that's barely .500 and has been murdered in the playoffs for three straight years without making one meaningful improvement.  What should we be optimistic about?  That in 3 or 4 years we MIGHT have Jarnkrok, Jurco, Frk, Nysquist, on the team and they MIGHT actually have decent careers.  Yep, there's always a silver lining...oh wait, during that same time we MIGHT lose Datsyuk and Flip, and Zetterberg, Kronwall, and Franzen PROBABLY will be in the decline. 

Why do something when you can do nothing?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#488 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Ok so if we are keeping all of our prospects and not making a push for this year why are we not playing said prospects.

Oh yeah we would rather fill those spots with Samuelsson, White, Abdelkader, Cleary, and Eaves.

Sammy and Cleary are the future of this organization!

#489 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

Steve Sullivan to NJ

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#490 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Sullivan for a 7th

#491 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Lol..."why were you not traded?" - Reporter
"Uh...my contract sucks" - Loungo

#492 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

Luongo- "my contract sucks". He's been very good through the process.

#493 Wingsfan72

Wingsfan72

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

1.  Howson is not their GM anymore.

2.  Amidst, all the s*** talking about Howson, people conveniently forget how much better that team got over the last two years.  They only acquired Wisniewski, Johnson, Aucoin, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Letestu, Foligno, Tyutin, Umberger, Prospal, Bobrovsky and two 1st round picks under Howson.  We got Samuelsson, Tootoo, Quincey, White, Commodore, and Gustavsson during the same time frame.  Hmmm...

Not saying I want Howson to replace Holland, but that team got noticeably better under his tenure.  So while it's fun to make jokes, he didn't do a bad job.

Lol I know he is not their GM anymore, that was the intended (and obviously missed) joke.  His being fired makes him available to take Holland's spot was what I was going for...  Anyhow, I wasn't serious.  I am a Holland believer.

If I die tell my wife I said, "Hello".

#494 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,153 posts

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun 1m

Steve Sullivan traded to NJ for a 7th rounder

Good for him. He seems like a great guy.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#495 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

I'm totally optimistic about a team that's barely .500 and has been murdered in the playoffs for three straight years without making one meaningful improvement.  What should we be optimistic about?  That in 3 or 4 years we MIGHT have Jarnkrok, Jurco, Frk, Nysquist, on the team and they MIGHT actually have decent careers.  Yep, there's always a silver lining...oh wait, during that same time we MIGHT lose Datsyuk and Flip, and Zetterberg, Kronwall, and Franzen PROBABLY will be in the decline. 

We could've said the same thing in previous years. Hind-sight is great when looking back but the thing about it is that we don't know exactly how these prospects are going to pan out. They could magically become the players we want, they could become much better than the players we project, and then again, they could become absolutely everything we don't want. 

I came into this season with armor knowing that we would get thrown around, I know we weren't going to be the dominate force we once were, but all-in-all they've impressed me. There's been times this season that I see an outstanding product on the ice, while other nights i'm wondering if I change the channel over to the Griffins game. 

No one knew Pavel was going to become the dominate force he is, no one knew Zetterberg was going to become the dominate force he is. If they did, they would've been drafted a lot earlier (I know the whole Pasha thing but still!). 

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#496 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

Ok so if we are keeping all of our prospects and not making a push for this year why are we not playing said prospects?

We are currently playing 6 rookies in the starting line-up with a 7th being slotted in as soon as Thursday.

How many rookies are you comfortable playing at one time? Should we just go with Datsyuk, Zetterberg and 18 rookies?

#497 sjr2012

sjr2012

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

im going to make a bold statement now in 2 years ..15th in the conference and sadly it wil be dead wings era 2.0 Hey Hey Hockeytown! will be a thing of the past ..........are new song: "we like our team" by Holland and the hooplas producted by Iltich Inc. and Little cesars Co. from the album Former Glory 

try to get something by me i dare you

:goalie:

#498 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Holland talking to media now. Stressing that our 5 coming back from IR in the next few weeks are as good as anyone available in trade market

from wings twitter

#499 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

Caps to announce a trade.

Luongo being very honest. I was upset TSN cut off the CBJ GM, but this press conference is great.

#500 Wingsfan72

Wingsfan72

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

TSN cuts off the CBJ GM to show Luongo's press conference.

Yeah, I cant believe that.  freaking rude.they could have cut back to him like 30 seconds in to the Luongo presser.  I would hang up!

Edited by Wingsfan72, 03 April 2013 - 02:38 PM.

If I die tell my wife I said, "Hello".