• Please log in to reply
717 replies to this topic

#41 Tr!PoD#19

Tr!PoD#19

Troll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

Another move that I don't mind Holland not making. Can't help but wonder what his contract demands are if Dallas couldn't come to terms and the Wings simply don't need a rental or a 42 year-old winger potentially eating up a bunch of cap space. Jagr could have been a nice addition, but if Holland decided the Stars wanted too much (2 prospects and a pick?), then I'm okay with holding onto those assets for better moves.

No, I agree. It just kinda feels like the final dagger in a first round exit this year.

#42 alienanxiety

alienanxiety

Medical

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

Why do so many of you want Holland to horde prospects?   After years of letting our prospects over-ripen in Grad Rapids, we literally have a glut of prospects.   Where are any of these guys supposed to play?  We could deal 5 of our prospects and never miss them.  They barely have room to fit in Tatar and Nyquist - where are they going to put the other 10 guys that are in waiting?  Make a mega-deal for Vanek/Stafford/Pominville.   Give them are first two picks and 5 prospects.  I don't care who ... Jurco, Jarnkrok, Sproul, Mursak, Tatar, Nyqvist, Sheehan, Oullet, the list goes on and on.  They're not accomplishing anything if they're gonna be stuck in GR for the next 3 years.  

#43 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

Welp, teams around us sure are getting better.

Teams that will be in our conference and division next year. Uh ohs.

#44 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

No way should we be making deals for rentals. 

#45 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,750 posts

I think this is a great move for Vancouver, they now have center depth and with St. Louis, LA and Chicago loading up it was just natural to keep pace. These 4 are the top contenders in the west this year and the window is getting closer to be closed for some of them, so a desperate move? Maybe but a very good one.

Roy - Kesler as their second line will be quiete dangerous that said I am glad, Holland hasn't been in on the Roy sweepstakes the guy is a pure rental according to TSN looking at a 6m plus contract annually.

So with everything thats left, I think holding on to the picks and standing pat is the smartest move right now.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#46 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Why do so many of you want Holland to horde prospects?   After years of letting our prospects over-ripen in Grad Rapids, we literally have a glut of prospects.   Where are any of these guys supposed to play?  We could deal 5 of our prospects and never miss them.  They barely have room to fit in Tatar and Nyquist - where are they going to put the other 10 guys that are in waiting?  Make a mega-deal for Vanek/Stafford/Pominville.   Give them are first two picks and 5 prospects.  I don't care who ... Jurco, Jarnkrok, Sproul, Mursak, Tatar, Nyqvist, Sheehan, Oullet, the list goes on and on.  They're not accomplishing anything if they're gonna be stuck in GR for the next 3 years.  

and there goes the future of our team, thank you alienanxiety, or should I call you brian burke??

#47 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

While the Wings certainly do have a good number of prospects that could be used in a trade, giving up 2 of them and a pick for a 41 year-old rental winger to play for a team that (in my opinion) isn't a true Cup contender this season would be a waste.

If the Wings are getting Vanek for a few prospects and a pick/s, then yeah.  But, so far I don't mind Kenny sitting on the Bouwmeester and Jagr deals.

Edited by Wings_Toledo, 02 April 2013 - 12:25 PM.

#48 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

I hope Jagr goes to Boston to make the Bruins PP even more effective against the Pens and I hope Jagr gets the series winning goal against the Pens in the East final.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#49 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,513 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

I hope Jagr goes to Boston to make the Bruins PP even more effective against the Pens and I hope Jagr gets the series winning goal against the Pens in the East final.

If there's a team that might be capable of taking out the Pens during the playoffs it just might be the Bruins, and by adding Jagr they only improved their chances.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#50 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:35 PM

Jurco is in his 1st year in GR, Tatar and Nyquist are going to be full time Wings next year and good ones, Sheahan is in his 1st year, Jarnkrok just crossed the pond and has played a few games, Sproul and Ouellet are finishing their Jr years and will hopefully be up next year on GR and those 2 are about as untouchable as a prospect should get.  Mursak cleared waivers, so his trade value is quite low. 

This years draft is crazy deep.  Trade our roster players that are taking the spots of Tatar and Nyquist and get more picks.  The guys in the 1st round this year will likely develop at a higher rate and on top of that, there's maybe 2 or 3 guys in the whole 1st round projections under 6'0.  Sign me up for drafting players this year and snagging higher quality pieces from teams that need to get back under the 64 mil cap set for next season.  there should be a lot of players available, and when GM's have to shed salary, values go down.  This summer is a much more viable option for getting the most on trades.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#51 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

Lol ROy to Vancouver, as if their team didn't have enough divers. Note to Vancouver fans: prepare for no mercy.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#52 alienanxiety

alienanxiety

Medical

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

Jurco is in his 1st year in GR, Tatar and Nyquist are going to be full time Wings next year and good ones, Sheahan is in his 1st year, Jarnkrok just crossed the pond and has played a few games, Sproul and Ouellet are finishing their Jr years and will hopefully be up next year on GR and those 2 are about as untouchable as a prospect should get.  Mursak cleared waivers, so his trade value is quite low. 

This years draft is crazy deep.  Trade our roster players that are taking the spots of Tatar and Nyquist and get more picks.  The guys in the 1st round this year will likely develop at a higher rate and on top of that, there's maybe 2 or 3 guys in the whole 1st round projections under 6'0.  Sign me up for drafting players this year and snagging higher quality pieces from teams that need to get back under the 64 mil cap set for next season.  there should be a lot of players available, and when GM's have to shed salary, values go down.  This summer is a much more viable option for getting the most on trades.

I'd never trade any of these guys for Jagr, but I'd do it for Vanek and Pominville or Gaborik.  

But back to my original point ... where are these guys going to play?  if not for injuries this year, we wouldn't have seen more than one of the kids that are up now up, at any given time.  tatar might have come up for a bit, then nyquist, but none of the others for sure.  we just have way too many guys backed up in the system.

#53 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:47 PM

Agreed, we will eventually have to give up a couple of our prospects. We can't ice a team of rookies. Not a firesale mind you, but we do have some spare parts. Patterson, for instance. He would be coming in at a time when Howard and Mrazek should both be NHL starters. Where does he fit?
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#54 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

Agreed, we will eventually have to give up a couple of our prospects. We can't ice a team of rookies. Not a firesale mind you, but we do have some spare parts. Patterson, for instance. He would be coming in at a time when Howard and Mrazek should both be NHL starters. Where does he fit?

I don't think you want to mess with your goaltending prospects.. .other than McCollum of course.  You need to be ready for a prospect who has promise to maybe land flat once they get to the NHL level... that's why you need more than 1 viable option in the prospect pool.  Now forwards, that's a different scenario.... make some moves Kenny!

#55 BleedRed&White25

BleedRed&White25

Salty Dog

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

I think this is a great move for Vancouver, they now have center depth and with St. Louis, LA and Chicago loading up it was just natural to keep pace. These 4 are the top contenders in the west this year and the window is getting closer to be closed for some of them, so a desperate move? Maybe but a very good one.

Roy - Kesler as their second line will be quiete dangerous that said I am glad, Holland hasn't been in on the Roy sweepstakes the guy is a pure rental according to TSN looking at a 6m plus contract annually.

So with everything thats left, I think holding on to the picks and standing pat is the smartest move right now.

Figured I'd post the sauce for you

http://espn.go.com/d...ncouver-canucks

Hostile to the past, impatient of the present, and cheated of the future.

#56 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

I don't see the Rangers moving Gaborik before the season ends. With them battling for a playoff position I just don't see them making any major moves until the off season. I would be all for Kenny making a trade for him but I think the asking price would be too high and they would want draft picks we can't afford to give up this year.

Pominville or Vanek seem like more realistic options for us right now.

#57 radekas

radekas

Jr. Prospect

• 24 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

I won't even start thinking about the price anyone would have to pay for Vanek. 1st + 2 elite prospects probably.

Edited by radekas, 02 April 2013 - 01:16 PM.

#58 Tr!PoD#19

Tr!PoD#19

Troll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

I won't even start thinking about the price anyone would have to pay for Vanek. 1st + 2 elite prospects probably.

There is absolutely no way we trade for Vanek

#59 alienanxiety

alienanxiety

Medical

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

I'd be fine with that.  

#60 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:28 PM

Good to see that Kenny isn't going to give up that 1st round pick so easily.  With such a deep draft this coming offseason, I'd be surprised to see the Wings make many trades involving draft picks.

Kind of hilarious considering the Quincey trade...