• Please log in to reply
717 replies to this topic

#581 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

People hate on Franzen because of the way he plays the game. I'm not sure why this is difficult for people to understand.

True, but I think the point is that for getting paid $7.5 mill and producing at that clip, he will be crucified as bad as Mule.  Look at how bad some of our players get it even if they are on a pace of points = pay

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#582 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie 2m

Bizarre levels of secrecy/intrigue over imminent WSH announcement. #tradecentre

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun 2m

Caps sources incredibly mum

Shero still kicking tires, Ribero on Pitt might be interesting? all speculation I don't think anyone knows what is up with this one.

#583 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 2m

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 2m

for the secrecy, the only thing I could imagine it being is Ribeiro. Anything more seems out of the realm of possibility. McKenzie cited Chimera and Schultz on the move earlier, but who knows.

#584 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 2m

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 2m

Ovie to Pittsburgh for Crosby"s teeth and a third rounder

#585 Jericho613

Jericho613

Give Nothing, Take Everything

• PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:34 PM

When I watch Gaborik, it always reminds me of Franzen, I know Gaborik has more offensive  capability, but at the end of the day they play when they want and are streaky, do not want. The Blue Jackets can think they are gonna make the playoffs all they want, its not gonna happen, and to Wings fans who are scared of the Blue Jackets need to grow a pair.

#586 Jericho613

Jericho613

Give Nothing, Take Everything

• PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:35 PM

Dumb trade by the Lightning... the Sens fleeced them.

I'm happy Holland stood pat-- this Wings roster isn't a trade or two away from winning the Cup this spring.  If we can't win now it'd be stupid to pick up rentals.  With the cap dropping things will be wild this summer, might as well retain as much flexibility and as many draft pics as we can.

You said it all.

#587 stevie for president

stevie for president

Red Blings

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:38 PM

White's a piece?

a piece of what?

White could get you at least a 5th rounder like Ryan O'Byrne did for the Avs. You could turn that 5th rounder into a McKee, Backman, or Mrazek. Or you could watch him walk out the door for nothing this summer.

#588 Pskov Wings Fan

Pskov Wings Fan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

Hackett is a capable goalie. He played few games with the Wild during last season. But they also have Darcy Kuemper who is probably about as good as Hackett.

This trade was the first time I heard about Johan Larsson. This year was his first year in AHL. He is probably one of top 4 forward prospects for the Wild (others being Granlund, Coyle, and Zucker).

Wild also gave up their 1st pick  this year and second next year. This is a lot to give up. For that much they should have taken Vanek (plus he played for Gophers).

Edited by Pskov Wings Fan, 03 April 2013 - 03:44 PM.

#589 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,202 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

I don't like the Wild, but, objectively, I love the Pommy pickup. They are a dangerous team right now. I can see them doing serious damage this postseason.

Edited by Dabura, 03 April 2013 - 03:43 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#590 RedWingAbner

RedWingAbner

My Loony Bun Is Fine, Benny Lava

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

I live in Tampa Bay; the Lightning have a need--goaltending--and a surplus in one area--offense.  You have to give to get.  Conacher for Bishop was a good trade.

#591 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,202 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

True, but I think the point is that for getting paid $7.5 mill and producing at that clip, he will be crucified as bad as Mule.

Oh, I don't deny that. Was just saying. (Who knows, though. Maybe Gaborik would catch fire as a Wing.)

Don't Toews me, bro!

#592 Yak19

Yak19

-Playmaker Elite-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

I live in Tampa Bay; the Lightning have a need--goaltending--and a surplus in one area--offense.  You have to give to get.  Conacher for Bishop was a good trade.

Agreed both teams got what they needed

Bolts need to amp up their D in the offseason that is their biggest problem area

#593 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,202 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

Say what you want - Shero has a pretty good head on his shoulders.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#594 alienanxiety

alienanxiety

Medical

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

Say what you want - Shero has a pretty good head on his shoulders.

At least he didn't say Crosby coming back from injury would be as good as a deadline acquisition.  Instead he added Jokinen.

#595 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,300 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

I hope some of you read this in a few days and see how ridiculous you sound. Outside of trying to move White and maybe Filppula (because of the rumored salary demands), not much else makes sense. We're a middle of the pack team on the rebuild. You don't sacrifice prospect depth in this league, anymore. Not to be knocked out in the first or second round.

I'm totally fine with this team standing pat this year, because I'm come to the terms that the Red Wings will most likely not win the Cup this season. It is what it is.

Are we really on a rebuild though?

I think the Wings have some good young players in the lineup but keep in mind that if not for injuries most of them would not be playing.  It's not like it was Holland's plan all along to bring up this many of the kids and give them a shot.

If the team were healthy this season the defensive corps would've been some combination of:

Kronwall-Ericsson

White-Quincey

Cola/Smith/Kindl

And if Bert, Sammy, and Helm were all healthy, how much of a chance would any of the new forwards been given?

I don't disagree that the Wings should be in rebuild mode.  Short of guys getting a chance due to injury, I don't really see what's being rebuilt.  Maybe this summer?

Caps trade:

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun 45s

F. Forsberg to Nash for M. Erat and M. Latta

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie 53s

As per @Real_ESPNLeBrun, NSH trades Michael Latta and Martin Erat to WSH for Filip Forsberg.

#596 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:02 PM

Are we really on a rebuild though?

I think the Wings have some good young players in the lineup but keep in mind that if not for injuries most of them would not be playing.  It's not like it was Holland's plan all along to bring up this many of the kids and give them a shot.

If the team were healthy this season the defensive corps would've been some combination of:

Kronwall-Ericsson

White-Quincey

Cola/Smith/Kindl

And if Bert, Sammy, and Helm were all healthy, how much of a chance would any of the new forwards been given?

I don't disagree that the Wings should be in rebuild mode.  Short of guys getting a chance due to injury, I don't really see what's being rebuilt.  Maybe this summer?

I see where you're coming from, but I think Holland has been of the mentality that those vets were kind of "buffers" for the transition of the kids. People can make an argument that Holland undervalued the impact that guys like Tatar, Nyquist and Andersson could make this season, but I don't think that has as much to do with getting guys at this particular deadline. The 2014-15 season is the one where I think we'll see the big turnover. Cleary and Miller are gone next year, with Nyquist/Tatar and Andersson taking their spots. The year after Bert, Sammy and Eaves are gone. 

Defensively, like them or not, I think guys like Quincey, Cola, etc. are serving a purpose. Who knows when Ouellet, Sproul, Backman or Almqvist will be ready. Who saw Kindl playing the way he has? I certainly didn't. I wasn't sure we'd get Dekeyer, either. Again, maybe Holland can be faulted here for not anticipating guys like Kindl and Lashoff being able to play, but he's also making sure he doesn't rush the younger guys. I think it's more defensible here than at the forward position.

Prior to the year starting, I saw an ugly two year window, and I think that still exists. 

#597 Serratoni

Serratoni

Rookie

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:07 PM

It's official. The Wings are in rebuild mode.

“We’re trying to compete, we’re trying to rebuild, reload,'' Holland said. “You look at the moment in time. I can’t look at the moment in time. I have to look at what we’ve got and where I think we can go over the next few years, the age of the roster, who’s going to be here for a while.''

http://www.mlive.com...lland_made.html

#598 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:09 PM

WOWWW i cant believe washington gave up filip forsberg !  i cant believe holland didnt offer up washington the chance to lock up filppula i would of shipped his ass out of detroit   i cant beleve all it took was erat and some guy i never heard of f***

#599 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

Has anyone actually stopped and thought, "Oh, maybe New York and Buffalo didn't want to trade top players to a team within their conference/division?!"

Buffalo maybe, doesn't apply to the Rangers. They will be seeing a lot of Columbus next season in their own division.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#600 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

"Prices too high"

No they aren't, the prices are rock bottom. No team overpaid for any player other than perhaps Hanzus. Holland doesn't seem to know the difference between quality versus quanity. He's hording all these prospects which will go nowhere. Gaborik, Roy, Pominville, Iginla, Meester, Jagr, every signifcant player traded, was traded for NOTHING. Worthless prospects and draft picks aren't high prices. Trading one great player for 2 crappy prospects and picks isn't high prices. One good player is worth more than 3 crappy players everytime.

The only overpayment I see is for Pominville.  A first, a second AND two top prospects?  No thanks.  I think Gaborik qualifies as a top 6 forward and having his salary for one season doesn't bother me.  I mean if Sammy is worth 3, Gaborik is easily worth 7.