• Please log in to reply
717 replies to this topic

#621 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,796 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

The rebuild is on, folks.  There's no way around that.  How good of a rebuild it's going to be is another story.

The sooner we cut ties with White, Colo, Sammy, and Bert, the better.  We can't have this anymore.  No more useless old men or injury-prone risks.  Just cut the fat and accept that the team is headed back into the toilet for a while.

With the exception of like four guys our entire team is "the fat". 

Anybody remember, "how well the team plays over the next six games will determine how active we are during the trade deadline"?  That was Ken Holland, a week and a half ago, treating his fans like they are idiots.  Awesome. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#622 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

I just wish Flip would have been traded for picks.  If he re-signs for anything more than 3.8 mil per, then it's an overpayment.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#623 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

Glad we didn't get pomminville, wild got fleeced.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#624 gowings00

gowings00

No Talent Goon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:40 PM

This is actually one time where I actually think the best thing for us might have been to do nothing. Getting Bert, Sammy, and Helm back is literally like adding a third line. That's roughly 13-16 minutes of ice time every night. I have to believe that much ice time with players as good as they are will increase scoring or at the very least, play much more in the other teams end. The cost is just too high right now for rental players who would likely have only a minimal effect.

With that said, I do believe the salary cap has revealed that Holland is not the magician he was made out to be all these years.

#625 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

Obviously after he left as an adviser. Also led with the rise of Chicago as the elite team in the division.

Give me a break, Scotty didn't become affiliated with the Black Hawks until 2008, at which point they had already drafted or acquired Toews, Bfuglien, Versteeg, Ladd, Brouwer, Kane, Sharp, Seabrook, and Keith.  To say Scotty had anything to do with their rise is absurd. 

Give me a break that you're insinuating that I think Scotty had anything to do with the drafting of those players. You don't think Scotty had a hand in the massively retooling that included many of those players listed? Everyone here thought the Hawks handcuffed themselves into a cap space disaster with their all in cap run yet here they are 3 years later the class of the league with their entire core intact + Hossa. No one believed they'd be able to keep Toews, Kane, Sharp, AND Seabrook.

Edited by Number19, 03 April 2013 - 05:48 PM.

#626 DetroitRedWings1993

DetroitRedWings1993

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:43 PM

Glad we didn't get pomminville, wild got fleeced.

Yes.  Granlund, Brodin, and Coyle all as prospects and the Wild got fleeced.  They had a few elite prospects to give and acquired a heart-and-soul guy who scores goals.  Totally different situation.  Young, hyper-talented, deep, and on the rise.  They are a legit Cup contender and they added to an already solid team.

This is actually one time where I actually think the best thing for us might have been to do nothing. Getting Bert, Sammy, and Helm back is literally like adding a third line. That's roughly 13-16 minutes of ice time every night. I have to believe that much ice time with players as good as they are will increase scoring or at the very least, play much more in the other teams end. The cost is just too high right now for rental players who would likely have only a minimal effect.

With that said, I do believe the salary cap has revealed that Holland is not the magician he was made out to be all these years.

Relying on Bert, Sammy and Helm for offense...

That about explains how bad things have gotten.

Interesting point in the last sentence.

Edited by DetroitRedWings1993, 03 April 2013 - 05:45 PM.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is rated PG-13 for epic battle sequences.

#627 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

Relying on Bert, Sammy and Helm for offense...

That about explains how bad things have gotten.

Interesting point in the last sentence.

You sure love to be a downer don't you?

hadthomasvokounonfortst.jpg
Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#628 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,796 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

Give me a break that you're insinuating that I think Scotty had anything to do with the drafting of those player. You don't think Scotty had a hand in the massively retooling that included many of those players listed? Everyone here thought the Hawks handcuffed themselves into a cap space disaster with their all in cap run yet here are 3 years later the class of the league with their entire core intact + Hossa.

It doesn't take a genius to bring in role players and sign Hossa to a discount.  If it took getting Scotty to do that then I hope the Blackhawks sign me up to take his place for half the price.  Fact is, their entire core was in place before Bowman took a job there. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#629 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,304 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

finally the meltdown seems to be subsiding, and all the crazy people are reverting back to normal. People are actual starting to realize that the deals made today in most part were over payments, aside from Gaborik, who is under performing for a very high cap hit, so they can have him. People seem to slip into a blind rage around here every time something they don't like happens

#630 DetroitRedWings1993

DetroitRedWings1993

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

You sure love to be a downer don't you?

What's there to be all sunshine-y about?  The team isn't that good and is going to get worse before it gets any better.  We don't have a truly high-end prospect to look forward to.  A bunch of good ones, but no true stars.  We're headed for a top-10 pick in the near future.  Hope we spend it well.

This season is headed to the golf course.  It just depends on how early or late the tee-time is.  There aren't any FA's that fit our immediate needs and there will be many re-signings from that already-weak class between now and when free agency opens.  We have very few truly NHL-ready prospects and Datsyuk and Zetterberg aren't getting any younger.

Accepting reality means being a downer when the organization is the way it is.

Edited by DetroitRedWings1993, 03 April 2013 - 05:57 PM.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is rated PG-13 for epic battle sequences.

#631 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

It doesn't take a genius to bring in role players and sign Hossa to a discount.  If it took getting Scotty to do that then I hope the Blackhawks sign me up to take his place for half the price.  Fact is, their entire core was in place before Bowman took a job there. 

Looks like you're missing the point entirely. Regardless if it doesn't take a genius then why hasn't Holland done the same thing with Dats, Z, Flip, Kronwall, and before this year Lidstrom.

#632 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,796 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:03 PM

Looks like you're missing the point entirely. Regardless if it doesn't take a genius then why hasn't Holland done the same thing with Dats, Z, Flip, Kronwall, and before this year Lidstrom.

What are you talking about, of course Holland locked up his core.  You know how I know that?  Because none of them have ever played for another team or even tested free agency.  Holland drafted and signed his core.  The Hawks did the same long before Scotty Bowman ever got there.  What I said was, "it doesn't take a genius to sign role players and Hossa to a discount".  Holland signs role players, and signed Hossa to a discount too.  Why are you knocking him and making it seem like Bowman's the second coming of Christ?

#633 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:06 PM

We don't have a truly high-end prospect to look forward to.  A bunch of good ones, but no true stars.  We're headed for a top-10 pick in the near future.  Hope we spend it well.

Can you see into the future? Seriously, I have never seen one prospect on any team come out and just dominate in the NHL the first year. All the defense prospects we have are pretty good actually, I have watch some of these players play. There not going to be the next Lidstrom there rookie year but things look promising.

hadthomasvokounonfortst.jpg
Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#634 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,304 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

Can you see into the future? Seriously, I have never seen one prospect on any team come out and just dominate in the NHL the first year. All the defense prospects we have are pretty good actually, I have watch some of these players play. There not going to be the next Lidstrom there rookie year but things look promising.

ovie, malkin, and he who shall not be named are the only prospects that really came out and just kicked straight up ass in their rookie years in the last 10 years

#635 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

finally the meltdown seems to be subsiding, and all the crazy people are reverting back to normal. People are actual starting to realize that the deals made today in most part were over payments, aside from Gaborik, who is under performing for a very high cap hit, so they can have him. People seem to slip into a blind rage around here every time something they don't like happens

Its all the contradictory BS that Holland has been feeding the world that gets most of us. He says 'We need to get better via free agency, he s**ts the bed in Free agency. Then he says 'We will explore trades over the summer/during the season/at the deadline to address our needs', come trade deadline he sh*ts the bed again. Now he says 'We need to build around our youth and the draft' and yet, he keeps players like Sammuelson, Bertuzzi, Cleary, et al in the line up at the expense of younger NHL level talent in the minors, and also doesn't trade the tradeable assets to build more youth into the system.

This is enough to make ones head spin. I wish he wouldn't treat the fan base like we are stupid and do what he says for once. 

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#636 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,304 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:10 PM

Its all the contradictory BS that Holland has been feeding the world that gets most of us. He says 'We need to get better via free agency, he s**ts the bed in Free agency. Then he says 'We will explore trades over the summer/during the season/at the deadline to address our needs', come trade deadline he sh*ts the bed again. Now he says 'We need to build around our youth and the draft' and yet, he keeps players like Sammuelson, Bertuzzi, Cleary, et al in the line up at the expense of younger NHL level talent in the minors, and also doesn't trade the tradeable assets to build more youth into the system.

This is enough to make ones head spin. I wish he wouldn't treat the fan base like we are stupid and do what he says for once. 

no I get that, trust me I am just as pissed at his bs as anyone else, but I literally just sat back and watched the forums seeing what everyone was saying and some of it was just so ridiculous I was dumbfounded, at one point I was just laughing at peoples comments

#637 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

If we win the cup this year...many of you will still hate the Wings and Holland for not making a move this or last year.

#638 DetroitRedWings1993

DetroitRedWings1993

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

Huberdeau.

Nugent-Hopkins before the injury.

Cory Conacher.

Brad Marchand (first full NHL season, true rookie season).

Jordan Eberle was no slouch.

John Tavares.

What's your definition of "dominate"?  Of course rookies aren't going to "dominate", depending on your definition.  "Dominate" is a subjective term.  Stars?  Plenty of those amongst first-year NHLers.

Every prospect we have on D is extremely boom-or-bust.  You don't build franchises with feast-or-famine players.

I agree to a certain extent.  I think it's more his complete and utter failure to acquire anything of real, lasting quality since Hossa that creates it.  This fanbase is hungry for a move that gets us going.  We want to see a new face and watch him play.  I'm included in that crowd.  We're out of luck, however, as the rebuild is upon us and there won't be much to cheer for for a few years coming.

Edited by DetroitRedWings1993, 03 April 2013 - 06:18 PM.

#639 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:19 PM

What are you talking about, of course Holland locked up his core.  You know how I know that?  Because none of them have ever played for another team or even tested free agency.  Holland drafted and signed his core.  The Hawks did the same long before Scotty Bowman ever got there.  What I said was, "it doesn't take a genius to sign role players and Hossa to a discount".  Holland signs role players, and signed Hossa to a discount too.  Why are you knocking him and making it seem like Bowman's the second coming of Christ?

lol no **** Holland locked the core. What I'm saying is with the core locked the way it is (like Chicago) why hasn't Holland signed the role players neccesary to compete (like Chicago) if it doesn't take a genius to do it? Bowman the second coming? Hardly, but as the all time winningest coach he's about as close as you'll get in hockey terms. I'd show a little more respect to the man that directly brought us 3 cups because without him this franchise as we know it aka Hockeytown would look a LOT different today. Anyways that's about enough hyberbole I want to entertain from you. Beam me up Scotty,

#640 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

Why are you knocking him and making it seem like Bowman's the second coming of Christ?

because around here holland is the worst gm in the history of hockey and bowman and yzerman are the best ever

nobody is going to be the next lidstrom. defense prospect pool looks solid. one of, if not the best in the league right now.

so it's holland's fault that he missed on parise and suter? exploring trades does not mean that he's 100% guaranteed going to make a trade. exploring means just that, exploring your options. so unless you have inside knowledge of exactly what was going on in holland's office during the summer and trade deadline, you really don't have room to speak. some of you folks put way too much stock into what is said to the media.

now regarding the youth movement issue, there can be no defending holland on that one. samulesson and cleary should not be in the lineup at all. but at least bertuzzi provided some size and grit and is a key player in the shootouts so i can see why holland would want to keep him around.