• Please log in to reply
717 replies to this topic

#681 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:08 PM

I hope some of you read this in a few days and see how ridiculous you sound. Outside of trying to move White and maybe Filppula (because of the rumored salary demands), not much else makes sense. We're a middle of the pack team on the rebuild. You don't sacrifice prospect depth in this league, anymore. Not to be knocked out in the first or second round.

I'm totally fine with this team standing pat this year, because I'm come to the terms that the Red Wings will most likely not win the Cup this season. It is what it is.

I just wished Ken would have moved some of the guys that won't be returning and gotten something for them instead of just losing them in the off season. If they're going to leave the team might as well be compensated some how for their departure.

#682 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:10 PM

I agree with your post overall, but how is Pominville not a top-six winger? Especially considering some of the players the Wings have been using on their top two lines, Pominville's production and skill set absolutely would have been a fit.

That being said, the asking price was far too much for my liking as well. 

I really didn't think he was, but after I saw his stats on TSN, I may be wrong about that.  He may be a 2nd line Winger after all.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#683 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,577 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:12 PM

No I'm saying going crazy isn't always a good thing, especially when you are messing with the chemistry of a team that's ripping up the league

I think 4 hours after the trade deadline is a little premature to properly judge what the moves have done to a team.

#684 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,297 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:14 PM

I really didn't think he was, but after I saw his stats on TSN, I may be wrong about that.  He may be a 2nd line Winger after all.

If Dan Cleary is a second line winger, anybody is a second line winger.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#685 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:39 PM

http://sports.yahoo...._medium=twitter

Red Wings only "F"

#686 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:43 PM

Red Wings only "F"

"But hey, at least it wasn't a first-rounder for Kyle Quincey again."

:lol:

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#687 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:43 PM

I think 4 hours after the trade deadline is a little premature to properly judge what the moves have done to a team.

They got jokinen today, but Murray morrow and iginla they've already played a couple games with

1619431_10152076754861235_68631640462286

#688 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,577 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:47 PM

They got jokinen today, but Murray morrow and iginla they've already played a couple games with

So are you saying 2 games is enough to tell what it's done to team chemistry?

Even if they lose so many games they barely make the playoffs, the ultimate test of these trades will be what the Pens do in the postseason.

#689 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:48 PM

Red Wings only "F"

But LGW is crazy! LGW is overreacting doom sayers!

Some of us don't want to wait for 2nd tier prospects to ripen while our generational talents age and retire.

#690 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:49 PM

"But hey, at least it wasn't a first-rounder for Kyle Quincey again."

esteef

When I heard that trade last year I spit my beer out. This has to be the worst trade I've seen the Red Wings make.

#691 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:55 PM

So are you saying 2 games is enough to tell what it's done to team chemistry?

Even if they lose so many games they barely make the playoffs, the ultimate test of these trades will be what the Pens do in the postseason.

The only joy I have left after today is mocking the pens. Let me have that at least

1619431_10152076754861235_68631640462286

#692 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:00 PM

And there's no way that has anything to do with the best hockey player in the world being out in those two games.

Depth?  Don't forget, they just traded for "2 Captains"

And Dats is the best until he retires.  Points aren't the only thing that makes a player great.  Dats is better at every other aspect of the game.

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#693 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:02 PM

And Dats is the best until he retires.  Points aren't the only thing that makes a player great.  Dats is better at every other aspect of the game.

Crosby's game has really developed, any defensive flaws he has is more than made up with his offensive dominance.

Look at how good he is along the boards.

crosby.gif

#694 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,577 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:02 PM

The only joy I have left after today is mocking the pens. Let me have that at least

I can respect that.  Play on through. 

#695 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

Hey you won't get an argument from me. :D If Dats was healthy every season I think you'd see him get a lot more Hart consideration among other awards.

#696 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,577 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:05 PM

When I heard that trade last year I spit my beer out. This has to be the worst trade I've seen the Red Wings make.

It isn't one of Holland's finer moments.  He probably didn't want to trade Quincey today out of fear he'd make another mistake in a deal with him.

Kept lesser players over him, lost him for nothing on waivers, watched him play big minutes in LA and Colorado, then gave up too much to get him back.

#697 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:06 PM

I really am glad that Holland didn't spend picks or prospects to bring in Gaborik.  He is injury prone and isn't worth his 7.5 million dollar cap hit.  Pomminville was the only guy I would even consider, and he isn't a top 6 winger like the Wings need.  Boumeester isn't worth it either.

One of two things are going to happen.....

Either the Wings fall flat on their faces in the next couple years, fade away from playoff contention, Holland gets fired, and the collective whiners here will yell I told you so and sprint off to the Penguins forum board to become new fans....

Or....

The Wings will retool and rebuild over the course of the next couple years, and return younger and stronger in a couple years.  They will be in a better position to win a cup then, so the collective whiners will stick around and cheer their team on.

Either way, its a win/win for me.  This forum really does need an enema.  For too long, Wings fans have been gifted with high caliber teams and 4 Stanley Cups.  The Wings fans are spoiled.  Hell, I know I am.  You can thank the NHL for making league parity a top concern.  No longer can teams try to buy a cup.  The salary cap has leveled the playing field.  To expect a team to compete for the cup every year is ludicrous.  Making the playoffs should be the new benchmark now.  Once your team gets in, then anything can happen.

At this point, I am going to support the Wings as they work to make the playoffs.  I call on every Wings fan to do the same thing.  Stand behind your team.  Stand behind your Wings management.  Its that simple.

Hell, I would be really pissed if Holland offered that.  Pomminville isn't worth that.

I love this post. Kudos

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#698 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:16 PM

And there's no way that has anything to do with the best hockey player in the world being out in those two games.

I don't think he's even the best on his own team. I'd rather have Malkin. And I'd definitely rather have Datsyuk than Crosby.

#699 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:03 PM

For every one saying Holland lacked the "balls" to do anything, I've already posted this but:

“We offered some of (prospects). At the end of the day someone didn’t like them as much as we do or they liked someone else’s players better.”

He made an effort to acquire someone. Other teams outbid him. Maybe it's not a matter of him not making an effort, but a matter of our prospects not being viewed as highly as someone else's? If Holland moved Nyquist, Mrazek and a 1st and 2nd to get Pominville, would you be happy? I'd be pissed off.

Except that didn't happen.  Minnesota gave two prospects.  One who wasn't as good as Jarnkrok in the SEL and a goalie prospect coming off a losing record in the AHL.  Pretty sure we could have topped that without "selling the farm". 

Edited by kipwinger, 03 April 2013 - 11:06 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#700 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:14 AM

I hope some of you read this in a few days and see how ridiculous you sound. Outside of trying to move White and maybe Filppula (because of the rumored salary demands), not much else makes sense. We're a middle of the pack team on the rebuild. You don't sacrifice prospect depth in this league, anymore. Not to be knocked out in the first or second round.

I'm totally fine with this team standing pat this year, because I'm come to the terms that the Red Wings will most likely not win the Cup this season. It is what it is.

Wild fans are pissed about the trade so should they, they have given up a lot for a top 6 player, who will be an UFA after this year. I don't know why some teams are thinking, patchfixing things would lead to any longterm success?

wche.jpg

in need of magic #13

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!