#701 pondrocket

pondrocket

Rookie

• Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:41 AM

Thanx Puck Daddy!  You nailed it!

Detroit Red Wings: F

Kent Huskins for a conditional seventh-rounder was all GM Ken Holland did at the deadline. They whiffed on Jay Bouwmeester and couldn’t entice Dallas to deal Jagr to them. As Holland said: "We made offers. At the end of the day, maybe somebody likes somebody else's players better." In the end, the Wings are still a win-now team, given their roster, but couldn’t add anything to the mix. But hey, at least it wasn't a first-rounder for Kyle Quincey again.

I am glad we didn't over pay for players like Jay Bo, Marion,,,, or Jager.  I am just thankful Kenny couldn't make a deal to bring Lilja back for a first rounder.  Whrer are Jimmy D & Mr. Illitch?

#702 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:49 AM

Thanx Puck Daddy!  You nailed it!

Detroit Red Wings: F

Kent Huskins for a conditional seventh-rounder was all GM Ken Holland did at the deadline. They whiffed on Jay Bouwmeester and couldn’t entice Dallas to deal Jagr to them. As Holland said: "We made offers. At the end of the day, maybe somebody likes somebody else's players better." In the end, the Wings are still a win-now team, given their roster, but couldn’t add anything to the mix. But hey, at least it wasn't a first-rounder for Kyle Quincey again.

I am glad we didn't over pay for players like Jay Bo, Marion,,,, or Jager.  I am just thankful Kenny couldn't make a deal to bring Lilja back for a first rounder.  Whrer are Jimmy D & Mr. Illitch?

You know you're having a bad day when you cite Puck Daddy as a good hockey resource.

But LGW is crazy! LGW is overreacting doom sayers!

Wyshynski said it! Therefore it must be true!

Right?

It isn't one of Holland's finer moments.  He probably didn't want to trade Quincey today out of fear he'd make another mistake in a deal with him.

Kept players who outplayed him over him, lost him for nothing on waivers, watched him play big minutes in LA and Colorado, then gave up too much to get him back.

Fixed. Quincey had his chance to show his stuff during that rash of injuries in 2008, and he was absolutely overshadowed by Ericsson and Meech (and every one of the regulars, Lebda included). He was invisible during that stretch in the big leagues. He looked serviceable during his short time in the 2007 playoffs---in which he played 6-8 minutes per game against bottom opposition---but nothing more than that.

Choosing Meech over Quincey was really very simple, and I don't think anyone began complaining about it until months down the line. Everyone was quite optimistic about Meech at that stage.

Edited by Crymson, 04 April 2013 - 01:50 AM.

#703 stevie for president

stevie for president

Red Blings

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:23 AM

You know you're having a bad day when you cite Puck Daddy as a good hockey resource.

Right?

Fixed. Quincey had his chance to show his stuff during that rash of injuries in 2008, and he was absolutely overshadowed by Ericsson and Meech (and every one of the regulars, Lebda included). He was invisible during that stretch in the big leagues. He looked serviceable during his short time in the 2007 playoffs---in which he played 6-8 minutes per game against bottom opposition---but nothing more than that.

Choosing Meech over Quincey was really very simple, and I don't think anyone began complaining about it until months down the line. Everyone was quite optimistic about Meech at that stage.

Wasn't it more like choosing between Chelios and Quincey though? Sure at the time Meech was better and looked to have more upside, but both were better than Chelios. Hindsight is always 20/20 though and if anyone says they knew Quincey would flourish in LA and become a future 2nd pair defenseman, they're lying.

#704 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:34 AM

Wasn't it more like choosing between Chelios and Quincey though? Sure at the time Meech was better and looked to have more upside, but both were better than Chelios. Hindsight is always 20/20 though and if anyone says they knew Quincey would flourish in LA and become a future 2nd pair defenseman, they're lying.

When was Quincey and Meech EVER better than Chelios?? Every year those three played together Chelios had much better numbers

#705 stevie for president

stevie for president

Red Blings

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:04 AM

When was Quincey and Meech EVER better than Chelios?? Every year those three played together Chelios had much better numbers

What numbers were better? In 2008-2009, Quincey had 4 goals and 34 assists in 72 games with LA while Chelios has 0 points in 28 games with Detroit. Meech had 7 points in 41 games for Detroit. So in 2008-2009, both had better numbers than Chelios. Plus, Chelios was the 2nd oldest player in NHL history in 2008, so both Quincey and Meech had more upside at that time, too.

It's kind of impossible to compare them in previous years because 08-09 was Quincey's 1st season playing more than 6 games (not including the 2007 playoffs where Quincey played only 8 minutes a night).

#706 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,911 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

I don't think the fans knew it, but you'd hope someone in the Red Wings organization had a better sense of him. 

I don't think the Wings lost some stud D man (obviously since he's back).  But I don't think it's a stretch to say they mishandled Quincey when you lose him for nothing and he goes on to play 20 minutes a night.  Compounded by giving up a first to give him back. 

It's not like it's it's on the level of the Adam Oates trade.  Just not one of Holland and managements best moments with prospects.  

#707 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

Right?

http://www.vancouver...1683/story.html

Ten seconds on google found the Sun says they lost too, if I cared enough I am sure I can find more. But, whatever, you and reality have a pretty causal relationship.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#708 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

has anyone thought about this, maybe they didn't trade white because he is one of our few dmen with playoff experience

#709 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,845 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

has anyone thought about this, maybe they didn't trade white because he is one of our few dmen with playoff experience

This would be a lame excuse for not rading him. I find it hard to believe, but maybe no team was willing to offer a second? Which would be pretty much sum up his value to other teams :(

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#710 BuckeyeWingsfan80

BuckeyeWingsfan80

The more the better

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

umm, not really. They hate losing Dorsett. And Brassard is currently tearing it up with New York tonight.

New York might have became a better team.

Gaborik also has a ton of injury history, how do you think we'd be feeling right now if his back/hip/groin started to act up?

Dorsett has been hurt for a while and wasn't likely to come back in the regular season.  Columbus already has Jared Boll who basically plays the same role as Dorsett does, and Dorsett is smaller and doesn't skate as well as Boll does and I'm pretty sure Boll has longer left on his contract than Dorsett does.

Brassard might be "tearing it up" but that's just one game.  I can't tell you how many times you'd hear even Jeff Rimer commenting on how Brassard was floating on the ice and not getting into the mix offensively or defensively.  Brassard is basically Sammy without the stick-skills, no one in Columbus is going to miss him either.

The only real piece Columbus gave up with any real potential is John Moore.  He's a big d-man, he's still very young and could develop into at least an All-Star down the road.

Don't let your bias against Columbus get to you - Columbus clearly owns the Rangers GM and being able to land Gaborik without giving up one of their 3-1st round picks is a frikin steal.

This would be a lame excuse for not rading him. I find it hard to believe, but maybe no team was willing to offer a second? Which would be pretty much sum up his value to other teams :(

Ian White isn't worth a 2nd round pick though.  Maybe a 4th.

Don't take it from fans on LGW, take it from his peers. NHL players have spoken and they think Tootoo is the dirtiest player in the league.

Get a clue already.

#711 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

I think Gaborik will do well in Columbus just because he is getting out of New York with Torts. He was quoted while in transit to Columbus saying something along the lines of, "I'm happy to play where they actually want me." Him and Torts couldn't even look each other in the eye. I think we'll start seeing flashes of the real Gabby with CBJ. Not to mention, he'll be joining some of his old buddies there! 

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#712 BuckeyeWingsfan80

BuckeyeWingsfan80

The more the better

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:54 PM

I think Gaborik will do well in Columbus just because he is getting out of New York with Torts. He was quoted while in transit to Columbus saying something along the lines of, "I'm happy to play where they actually want me." Him and Torts couldn't even look each other in the eye. I think we'll start seeing flashes of the real Gabby with CBJ. Not to mention, he'll be joining some of his old buddies there! 

Well not only is the environment better, he was stuck playing left-wing in New York where his best years have always been at right wing.

Don't take it from fans on LGW, take it from his peers. NHL players have spoken and they think Tootoo is the dirtiest player in the league.

Get a clue already.

#713 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

Right?

Pretty sure nobody was optimistic about Meech at any point in time. It was more Quincey not earning himself a spot.

#714 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

Right?

I like this exchange on Luongo's twitter....

Greg Wyshynski @wyshynski 

@strombone1 Hey, give me a follow so I can write you back.

Geoff ‏@Geoff_not_Jeff 
@wyshynski @strombone1 he has a strict "don't follow pricks" policy. Sorry

Edited by evilmrt, 04 April 2013 - 03:18 PM.

#715 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:42 PM

What numbers were better? In 2008-2009, Quincey had 4 goals and 34 assists in 72 games with LA while Chelios has 0 points in 28 games with Detroit. Meech had 7 points in 41 games for Detroit. So in 2008-2009, both had better numbers than Chelios. Plus, Chelios was the 2nd oldest player in NHL history in 2008, so both Quincey and Meech had more upside at that time, too.

It's kind of impossible to compare them in previous years because 08-09 was Quincey's 1st season playing more than 6 games (not including the 2007 playoffs where Quincey played only 8 minutes a night).

I didn't check out Quincey's numbers the year Chelios was in his final year with the Wings. I guess I might be a little biased since Chelios was my childhood hero.

Edited by BadgerBob, 04 April 2013 - 03:45 PM.

#716 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:54 AM

A lot of players making an immediate impact for their new teams.

-Jagr scored in his first game with Boston.
-Clowe scored twice in his first game with NYR.
-Gaborik scored in his first game with Columbus.
-Rosehill scored in his first game with Philly.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#717 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:21 AM

I'm not sure if this was mentioned already but on TSN's same-day coverage, they showed a rotation of "tweets" from different sources. 

One viewer's was...

"Holland: Our IR is our trade-deadline deals".

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#718 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:35 AM

A lot of players making an immediate impact for their new teams.

-Jagr scored in his first game with Boston.
-Clowe scored twice in his first game with NYR.
-Gaborik scored in his first game with Columbus.
-Rosehill scored in his first game with Philly.

OMFG!  It's only one game and they all got fleeced!!!!!!!

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."