• Please log in to reply
717 replies to this topic

#61 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:35 PM

Kind of hilarious considering the Quincey trade...

And our last 1st rounder that is on the roster...Kindl...

Not that he's bad, but he sure didn't live up to being a 1st. 

#62 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:36 PM

Agreed, we will eventually have to give up a couple of our prospects. We can't ice a team of rookies. Not a firesale mind you, but we do have some spare parts. Patterson, for instance. He would be coming in at a time when Howard and Mrazek should both be NHL starters. Where does he fit?

I'm ok with trading Patterson, but I think its a year early for that.

There is a fantastic chance he'll be the starting goalie for Canada at the World Juniors and there will be a lot of hype around Canada's team as they seek to win their first title in a few years after dominating the tournament for so long.

If he can backstop the team to the gold his value will skyrocket and he could potentially be the centerpiece of a big trade. If they/he fails I don't think it hurts his value much at all and we can still include him as part of a package like some of the ones proposed now.

#63 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

And our last 1st rounder that is on the roster...Kindl...

Not that he's bad, but he sure didn't live up to being a 1st. 

So why don't we just conceade to the fact that first rounders are a useless commodity and trade them away every year...jokes on the other 29 NHL teams. That said, our first round history isn't great, but it would be nice not to bank on 7th rounders turning into gems every couple years.

#64 TheOwl

TheOwl

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

I will bet right now, $20, that the Red Wings first round pick this year will never play a single game in the NHL. Late 1st round picks might as well be 2nd round picks at that point. And a 1st round pick only has a 50-50 shot at even playing in the NHL at all. Picks are over-valued, especially for play-off teams. Get rid of them picks Kenny!

#65 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

Just curious but out of our top 10 ranked prospects how many are first rounders?

#66 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,348 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

There is absolutely no way we trade for Vanek

Source?

#67 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:35 PM

COYOTES TRADE F RECHLICZ TO CAPITALS FOR F CLACKSON

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=419684

who and who?

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#68 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

Source?

He's not an ex red wing

#69 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

Just curious but out of our top 10 ranked prospects how many are first rounders?

Just Sheahan I believe.  But LOTS of 2nd and 3rd rounders as lately Kenny developed the habit of trading our 1st for extra picks in the 2nd + 3rd rounds.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#70 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

Just Sheahan I believe.  But LOTS of 2nd and 3rd rounders as lately Kenny developed the habit of trading our 1st for extra picks in the 2nd + 3rd rounds.

Oh right yes he always does that. I'm always watching the first round waiting for the wings to pick and he trades it. Waste of a night lol. But it is smart.

So anyways yes 1 out of our top 10 is a first. And I would say we have one of the best and probably deepest pools in thre league.

So why not trade a first and a couple prospects for an established star in there prime to play with pavel

#71 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:48 PM

Here's the thing I don't understand about Kenny's philosophy.  He doesn't want to do something and get worse, but he also doesn't realize that by doing nothing and getting older, you are getting worse.  Each year he doesn't do anything, our already aging core gets a year older.  And there's nothing on the horizon to suggest that we've got a new core in the making.  Even our highly touted prospects aren't the next great wave or Red Wings.  The next wave would have been guys Abby, Helm, Kindl, and Ericsson's age, and if that's our new core then watch out. 

If he continues to do nothing and hopes that internal growth will fix these problems, he's likely to lose Datsyuk and Flip, while Z, Kronwall, and Franzen decline and there will be NOBODY there to pick up that slack. 

Unless, of course, you think Nyquist and Tatar are the answer.  I don't. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#72 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

Here's the thing I don't understand about Kenny's philosophy.  He doesn't want to do something and get worse, but he also doesn't realize that by doing nothing and getting older, you are getting worse.  Each year he doesn't do anything, our already aging core gets a year older.  And there's nothing on the horizon to suggest that we've got a new core in the making.  Even our highly touted prospects aren't the next great wave or Red Wings.  The next wave would have been guys Abby, Helm, Kindl, and Ericsson's age, and if that's our new core then watch out. 

If he continues to do nothing and hopes that internal growth will fix these problems, he's likely to lose Datsyuk and Flip, while Z, Kronwall, and Franzen decline and there will be NOBODY there to pick up that slack. 

Agreed.

Kenny then gives Bert a contract extension, and signs Sammy this off season...Our youth at the forward positions are getting an audition, but so far our "best" prospects who are Dmen are still developing in GR...Pierre McGuire mentioned of "loaded" we are concerning our future on defense - however it's a bit too early to tell if they'll become legit Dmen at the NHL level.

If there's anyone available as trade bait I certainly hope it's Franzen...I'm so sick of watching him float around.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#73 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:01 PM

I totally agree. And it's not like he doesn't trade and does all his business on July 1st. He does nothing. This has been the exact same team for 4 years, except we are older and have lost 3 top 4 d-men, one being a HOF'er, other being great d-man, and the other being a rock. What have we brought in? Nothing!

I'm so sick of holland doing nothing. He's wasting the last few years of a legendary career in pavel datsyuk, just like he did with lids.

Worst part is that he refuses to play young players that are ready to produce

#74 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

Sheahan.  Only Sheahan.

Agreed.

Kenny then gives Bert a contract extension, and signs Sammy this off season...Our youth at the forward positions are getting an audition, but so far our "best" prospects who are Dmen are still developing in GR...Pierre McGuire mentioned of "loaded" we are concerning our future on defense - however it's a bit too early to tell if they'll become legit Dmen at the NHL level.

If there's anyone available as trade bait I certainly hope it's Franzen...I'm so sick of watching him float around.

If we could get a 1st for Flip and a 1st for Franzen I'd be quite excited.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#75 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:11 PM

Sheahan.  Only Sheahan.

Would you keep the firsts or move them?

#76 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

Sheahan.  Only Sheahan.

The way its been going, we shouldn't have a problem getting at least a first and 2 prospects for franzen, and at least a first and a prospect for fil

#77 DetroitRedWings1993

DetroitRedWings1993

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

If anyone read Twitter, Dave Waddell and George Malik today, we might as well sleep through Wednesday.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is rated PG-13 for epic battle sequences.

#78 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

If anyone read Twitter, Dave Waddell and George Malik today, we might as well sleep through Wednesday.

oh... well if it's on twitter...

#79 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

I will bet right now, $20, that the Red Wings first round pick this year will never play a single game in the NHL. Late 1st round picks might as well be 2nd round picks at that point. And a 1st round pick only has a 50-50 shot at even playing in the NHL at all. Picks are over-valued, especially for play-off teams. Get rid of them picks Kenny!

I agree only to a certain extent...

I'll be the 1st to admit that I know very little of our prospects, or what we have in GR, but apparently what we have at defense is deemed pretty good (now if any of these Dmen make it to the NHL is a different story)...

I know it's a "needle in a haystack" once you get past the top prospects in the 1st round, but some scouts/gms  are better at picking out potential players than others, and sometimes it's just dumb luck...Gonna sound like a broken record, but we have Emmerton while the Bruins have Lucic, and Marchand; was that dumb luck, or were the respective scouts/gms "looking" for a specific type of player?

It does get frustrating though watching Holland do nothing, but sometimes that might just be the safer bet for the long haul.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#80 DetroitRedWings1993

DetroitRedWings1993

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:42 PM

oh... well if it's on twitter...

And Waddell.  And Malik.  And Khan.  And Custance is the Twitter source.  Mind you, I just named off the Trifecta of Pessimism.

Edited by DetroitRedWings1993, 02 April 2013 - 03:56 PM.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is rated PG-13 for epic battle sequences.