Nyquistfan14

Nyquist, Tatar, dekeyser

Rate this topic

Guest Hatethedrake!

Next season's Red Wings?

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Valtteri Filppula ($4.500m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($2.000m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.788m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)
Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.605m)
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Brendan Smith ($0.827m)
Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m) / Jakub Kindl ($1.050m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m)
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.000m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $56,093,087; BONUSES: $1,010,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $9,216,913

Not to be that other guy, but you do realize that if there hadn't been the threat of a lockout & the young players would have had a chance to shine in a full training camp & preseason, the youth movement probably would have happened regardless right?

Not to be that other guy, but you do realize that if there hadn't been the threat of a lockout & the young players would have had a chance to shine in a full training camp & preseason, the youth movement probably would have happened regardless right?

I don't realize that, no.

Holland is hardcore about his "over-ripe" philosophy. And Babs, for whatever reason, loves, loves, LOVES his veterans - quite often at some young guy's expense. And Holland was courting a number of free agents this past summer.

My point was, Holland had no choice. Babs had no choice. Injuries + striking out re: UFAs = "Youth movement."

Why do you think Sammy was brought back to the fold?

Oh let's see... Has something to do with the fact that the front office knew a lockout shortened season was on the way, rookies having to prove themselves capable of playing major roles with the team without the benefit of a training camp & preseason was a recipe for disaster, the condensed schedule was going to mean less practice time between games making integrating rookies full time more difficult than normal, and the schedule also meant less time between games to nurse injuries meaning a stretch on organizational depth. The lockout greatly reduced the organization's ability to evaluate how much they could trust their NHL ready talent at the start of the season. Taking say a month to do that at the start of a non-lockout season has much less risk than if they would have tried that this season. A month figuring out what they had this year would have probably meant a lock to miss the playoffs.

Sammy was a known quantity, knows the organization/system, & was a relatively cheap way to improve short-term depth. The front office & Babs all knew that at some point, GR call ups were going to happen. Bringing in a Sammy, Colaiacovo, & Tootoo just meant having a little more NHL proven talent without handcuffing the team from a salary cap situation & relying on GR for the "over ripe" players as versus starting the season with the "over ripe" playing significant roles already & when the injuries started to pile up, having to call up the maybe not so ripe.

I don't realize that, no.

Holland is hardcore about his "over-ripe" philosophy. And Babs, for whatever reason, loves, loves, LOVES his veterans - quite often at some young guy's expense. And Holland was courting a number of free agents this past summer.

My point was, Holland had no choice. Babs had no choice. Injuries + striking out re: UFAs = "Youth movement."

babs actually prefers younger guys, he likes having vets on the team for leadership, but he prefers a younger team. You can only call up a few GR kids at a time, unless it is an emergency call up to fill a spot

I should make clear: I'm all for letting the kids play. I'm just saying, if Holland could've avoided bringing all these young guns up to the big club, he almost certainly would've. Smith, maybe Nyquist - they were pretty much guaranteed a spot no matter what. But beyond that? This was supposed to be a decidedly veteran lineup.

While I really like the idea of a Nyquist - Datsyuk - Brunner line... there needs to be some size.... I know Datsyuk can hold his own, but the other two still need about a season of conditioning before they're strong enough for it, and even then, you probably want Franzen or Bert on that line to provide some space. I hope in the off-season we had some size, as always. Nothing crazy, but somebody like Clowe would be nice.

I am so thankful of the injuries to Cola and Sammy which have allowed the kids to play. At some point you have to see what you've got when it comes to young talent. All rookies and young players are going to make mistakes, its allowing them to play through them and learn which shows that a team is dedicated to youth. Players can develop in the AHL but at some point they have to prove it in the NHL.

This youth movement is solely by chance due to injuries and if Cleary went down and Sammy never returned to the lineup I would be happy to see Nyquist and Tatar up full time. I appreciate what Cleary has done for this team but he is done at this point.

Like when he gave Brunner a beauty of a pass last game and helped him snap a 16 game goal drought. I certainly like that pair.

That's the one I was referring to. The best part was Brunner skating to Nyquist, that smile and hug said it all "Thank you, you crafty son of a *****."

I should make clear: I'm all for letting the kids play. I'm just saying, if Holland could've avoided bringing all these young guns up to the big club, he almost certainly would've. Smith, maybe Nyquist - they were pretty much guaranteed a spot no matter what. But beyond that? This was supposed to be a decidedly veteran lineup.

Why do you continue to insist on trying to punish a man for a scenario that never even happened?! Injuries happened to roster players and rookies were brought up, which I might add, isn't a situation exclusive to the Detroit Red Wings. And it's because of these rookies, players that HE drafted, that have helped keep this team in a position on relevance in the West. Time to start thinking about putting the pitchfork down.

Why do you continue to insist on trying to punish a man for a scenario that never even happened?! Injuries happened to roster players and rookies were brought up, which I might add, isn't a situation exclusive to the Detroit Red Wings. And it's because of these rookies, players that HE drafted, that have helped keep this team in a position on relevance in the West. Time to start thinking about putting the pitchfork down.

nonono don't say that around here, it isn't because of him, it's because of the scouts that we have those players, but before he became gm when he was head of scouting, it was the gm who brought in the talent, not the scouts, or at least thats what the LGW gm's think

Exactly! Throw those two with pavel, and let Z play with mule and fil!

Babcock loves having a grinder go get the puck for his small skilled guys, therefore, when Helm gets back, some nice pairings could be:

Z-Dats-Abby

Franzen-Flip-Cleary (cause he won't put him on the 4th line...)

Nyquist-Helm-Brunner

4th line insert here.

Abby, Cleary and Helm retrieve the puck.

Babcock loves having a grinder go get the puck for his small skilled guys, therefore, when Helm gets back, some nice pairings could be:

Z-Dats-Abby

Franzen-Flip-Cleary (cause he won't put him on the 4th line...)

Nyquist-Helm-Brunner

4th line insert here.

Abby, Cleary and Helm retrieve the puck.

That second line is awful.

Add Sheahan to this list.

I don't need a be an NHL head coach to see Dan Cleary fall on his ass at least once per shift or Ian White get pushed around like a little girl in every corner.

Sheahan is still finding his offensive consistency. I'd be fine with him starting next season in GR (which will likely be the case anyway). Plus, with his well documented off-ice issues I can't help but feel that the organization is hesitant to reward him right now over some of the other guys who can make the same type of impact.

Source?

esteef

Only thing I've found so far...

@CawlidgeHawkeyO: Source: Danny DeKeyser (@DeKeyser5) will make his NHL debut tonight vs PHX. 2nd former @WMUHockey star to make debut this year. (@Tenner_7)

Edited by BottleOfSmoke

It's a shame DD isn't in tonight; perhaps tomorrow night vs. the Avs.

As far as Nyquist and Tatar, I really think Nyquist stays down next year unless something gives with Bert or Sammy, or if Flip doesn't re-sign here. Tatar and Andersson are no long waiver-exempt next season, and I imagine they take the spots of Cleary and Miller. My money is on Tatar starting on the 3rd line, and Andersson on the 4th.

It's a shame DD isn't in tonight; perhaps tomorrow night vs. the Avs.

As far as Nyquist and Tatar, I really think Nyquist stays down next year unless something gives with Bert or Sammy, or if Flip doesn't re-sign here. Tatar and Andersson are no long waiver-exempt next season, and I imagine they take the spots of Cleary and Miller. My money is on Tatar starting on the 3rd line, and Andersson on the 4th.

I think something will give with Sammy...something called an amnesty buy out. Colaiacavo will be the other one imo.

As much as Danny D wants to get some playing time in the big show, i'm sure he isn't as pissed as many of us are in these forums. He knows the team is fighting for a playoff spot right now. Do you really want to play your first games as a Red Wing and make mistakes that cost them the game? Would you want your first experience to also be stained as "why the wings didn't make the playoffs?" We had a seasoned player in Kyle Quincey that joined us mid-season when we were on our beautiful home-streak. What happened when we added him to the equation? That s*** ended quickly. I would hate for DeKeyser to magically get blamed for making us miss the playoffs if he made some rookie mistakes in his first game that lead to direct goals. That ruins confidence, and we need to build his confidence within this league. Does he want to play? Absolutely, but like Babcock has said, he's only going to play DeKeyser when he knows he will excel and help the win. If he doesn't see DeKeyser helping the win, he isn't playing. It's very risky placing a player with no experience within the roster that is fighting for a spot.