• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#41 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

You better hope Smith and Lashoff don't get caught in a bad matchup.  A dangerous top line would tear them apart.  Also, Samuelsson should play over Nyquist.  I know we're all high on him here, but he doesn't bring any hustle to the lineup and he hasn't found his scoring touch in the NHL yet.  Sammy, for all his flaws, at least generates some offense.  And there's a strong argument to be made that Bertuzzi's hands are worth quite a bit on chaotic playoff hockey.

Nyquist doesn't bring any hustle?? He's always skating hard and ill take him 7 days a week on twice on Sunday over Sammy.

He has more speed, skill, and hockey IQ. He may be a little weaker, but his compete level is way better than Sammy

#42 robb himself

robb himself

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

Nyquist doesn't bring any hustle?? He's always skating hard and ill take him 7 days a week on twice on Sunday over Sammy.

He has more speed, skill, and hockey IQ. He may be a little weaker, but his compete level is way better than Sammy

Agree 100%

be about it!

#43 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,853 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:01 PM

Nyquist had some great hustle/ethic on that goal he made happen on Monday.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling, $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, Glendening, Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: Glendening.  MOTB TOTAL: $0

#44 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

Nyquist had some great hustle/ethic on that goal he made happen on Monday.

Yep. Give him more minutes and better linemates and we will see more of that

#45 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:05 PM

You have to remember that with these guys, they're being shuffled around so much that they can't really get any familiarity with the team. Before we write Gus or Tatar off, let's wait and see what they do with some sustained time on a line. Tatar showed he could be effective on a line with Andersson and Eaves. One of these guys (most likely) will be taking Cleary's spot next season. 

#46 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:25 PM

Yep. Give him more minutes and better linemates and we will see more of that

Like when he gave Brunner a beauty of a pass last game and helped him snap a 16 game goal drought.  I certainly like that pair.

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#47 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,934 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:03 PM

i think we see dekeyser tomorrow

#48 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:16 PM

Like when he gave Brunner a beauty of a pass last game and helped him snap a 16 game goal drought.  I certainly like that pair.

Exactly! Throw those two with pavel, and let Z play with mule and fil!

#49 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,359 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

i think we see dekeyser tomorrow

I don't think we will. Babs said he isn't just giving him a game unless he thinks the kid gives them a chance to win. No offence but how has DD shown he can be an improvement over our defense yet? This blows for DD because we are trying to squeak into the playoffs and can't really afford to have him fail if he does get a sniff. 

#50 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

I don't think we will. Babs said he isn't just giving him a game unless he thinks the kid gives them a chance to win. No offence but how has DD shown he can be an improvement over our defense yet? This blows for DD because we are trying to squeak into the playoffs and can't really afford to have him fail if he does get a sniff. 

And Ian White improves our chances of winning?

#51 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:04 AM

Next season's Red Wings?

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Valtteri Filppula ($4.500m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($2.000m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.788m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)
Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.605m) 
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Brendan Smith ($0.827m)
Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m) / Jakub Kindl ($1.050m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) 
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.000m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $56,093,087; BONUSES: $1,010,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $9,216,913

Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#52 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,062 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:22 AM

Not be That Guy, but...you all realize our "youth movement" is kind of a lie, right?

If we aren't decimated by injuries, and if Holland lands Parise or Suter or Salo etc., we remain a heavily veteran team.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#53 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

Not to be that other guy, but you do realize that if there hadn't been the threat of a lockout & the young players would have had a chance to shine in a full training camp & preseason, the youth movement probably would have happened regardless right?

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal

#54 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,062 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:07 AM

Not to be that other guy, but you do realize that if there hadn't been the threat of a lockout & the young players would have had a chance to shine in a full training camp & preseason, the youth movement probably would have happened regardless right?

I don't realize that, no.

Holland is hardcore about his "over-ripe" philosophy. And Babs, for whatever reason, loves, loves, LOVES his veterans - quite often at some young guy's expense. And Holland was courting a number of free agents this past summer.

My point was, Holland had no choice. Babs had no choice. Injuries + striking out re: UFAs = "Youth movement."

Why do you think Sammy was brought back to the fold?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#55 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

Oh let's see...  Has something to do with the fact that the front office knew a lockout shortened season was on the way, rookies having to prove themselves capable of playing major roles with the team without the benefit of a training camp & preseason was a recipe for disaster,  the condensed schedule was going to mean less practice time between games making integrating rookies full time more difficult than normal, and the schedule also meant less time between games to nurse injuries meaning a stretch on organizational depth.  The lockout greatly reduced the organization's ability to evaluate how much they could trust their NHL ready talent at the start of the season.  Taking say a month to do that at the start of a non-lockout season has much less risk than if they would have tried that this season.  A month figuring out what they had this year would have probably meant a lock to miss the playoffs.  

Sammy was a known quantity, knows the organization/system, & was a relatively cheap way to improve short-term depth.  The front office & Babs all knew that at some point, GR call ups were going to happen.  Bringing in a Sammy, Colaiacovo, & Tootoo just meant having a little more NHL proven talent without handcuffing the team from a salary cap situation & relying on GR for the "over ripe" players as versus starting the season with the "over ripe" playing significant roles already & when the injuries started to pile up, having to call up the maybe not so ripe. 

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal

#56 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

I don't realize that, no.

Holland is hardcore about his "over-ripe" philosophy. And Babs, for whatever reason, loves, loves, LOVES his veterans - quite often at some young guy's expense. And Holland was courting a number of free agents this past summer.

My point was, Holland had no choice. Babs had no choice. Injuries + striking out re: UFAs = "Youth movement."

babs actually prefers younger guys, he likes having vets on the team for leadership, but he prefers a younger team. You can only call up a few GR kids at a time, unless it is an emergency call up to fill a spot

I'm a Red Wing for the next three years and I'm going to make sure every team we play knows that.'' -- Jordin Tootoo

#57 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,062 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

I should make clear: I'm all for letting the kids play. I'm just saying, if Holland could've avoided bringing all these young guns up to the big club, he almost certainly would've. Smith, maybe Nyquist - they were pretty much guaranteed a spot no matter what. But beyond that? This was supposed to be a decidedly veteran lineup.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#58 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

While I really like the idea of a Nyquist - Datsyuk - Brunner line... there needs to be some size.... I know Datsyuk can hold his own, but the other two still need about a season of conditioning before they're strong enough for it, and even then,  you probably want Franzen or Bert on that line to provide some space.  I hope in the off-season we had some size, as always.  Nothing crazy, but somebody like Clowe would be nice.

#59 JPT

JPT

Rookie

• Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:29 AM

I am so thankful of the injuries to Cola and Sammy which have allowed the kids to play. At some point you have to see what you've got when it comes to young talent. All rookies and young players are going to make mistakes, its allowing them to play through them and learn which shows that a team is dedicated to youth. Players can develop in the AHL but at some point they have to prove it in the NHL.

This youth movement is solely by chance due to injuries and if Cleary went down and Sammy never returned to the lineup I would be happy to see Nyquist and Tatar up full time. I appreciate what Cleary has done for this team but he is done at this point.

#60 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,853 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

That's the one I was referring to.  The best part was Brunner skating to Nyquist, that smile and hug said it all "Thank you, you crafty son of a *****."

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling, $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, Glendening, Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: Glendening.  MOTB TOTAL: $0