• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hutts11

Shocking, Wings aren't active as trade deadline expires

Rate this topic

I don't understand. Another year and no big moves for the Wings, AGAIN. I understand that Holland keeps saying we have good young talent, but when it comes down to it, we'll have young talet and then older players that are past their prime. Pav, Hank, Mule, Kronner, are not getting any younger, and Pav may be gone after next season. Cleary, Samuelsson, and Bert are done(or should be) after this year. Helm is a good young player with lots to prove still, but the past few seasons he has had major injuries that kept him out of games for a long period of time.

Holland also said that he wants to add another top 6 forward. Well Mr. Holland, how come we didn't make any noise in the past few days in the trade market?

Holland would have to be a meth addict to think this team is a couple of deadline moves away from winning the Cup.

Thank god he didn't do something moronic like McPhee did.

Fine...then he should have been a seller. It would appear that they are afraid to offend the fan base by being a seller, yet do not have the moxy to make the moves to make them a legit Cup contender. So we are entering limbo

There are only a few ways to get players onto a hockey team. Draft them, acquire them through free agency, pick them up off waivers, trade for them. Only one of these options requires you lose something (RFA also I suppose, but that's still a rarity in this league). The salary cap makes draft picks, prospects, and roster players that much more valuable, so trades are that much less desirable an option to collect players for your team. I understand that its frustrating to get your hopes up every trade deadline expecting to land some star, but in today's hockey league its more important than ever to be economic. That means developing your talent, holding onto your picks, and making big roster changes through free agency, not through trades. Its boring, but its also a smart way to go.

I'm in the minority which believes Holland did not make a mistake this deadline by not making any moves.

There are only a few ways to get players onto a hockey team. Draft them, acquire them through free agency, pick them up off waivers, trade for them. Only one of these options requires you lose something (RFA also I suppose, but that's still a rarity in this league). The salary cap makes draft picks, prospects, and roster players that much more valuable, so trades are that much less desirable an option to collect players for your team. I understand that its frustrating to get your hopes up every trade deadline expecting to land some star, but in today's hockey league its more important than ever to be economic. That means developing your talent, holding onto your picks, and making big roster changes through free agency, not through trades. Its boring, but its also a smart way to go.

I'm in the minority which believes Holland did not make a mistake this deadline by not making any moves.

again..fine. But be a seller then.

again..fine. But be a seller then.

Why? Despite leading the league in man games lost, we are in a playoff spot right now, there's no need to blow up the team. Committing your team to selling off your assets is the last option that any GM should think of, and will likely get anyone fired when they're not even bottom dwellers. There's a lot of money to be had in postseason tickets, memorabilia, tv deals, etc which is ultimately what makes owners tick.

I'm not upset about nothing being done by Holland this deadline, but sooner or later some fat is going to have to be trimmed from this team one way or another.

List of expendable players:

Bertuzzi

Abdelkader

Cleary

Miller

Eaves

Emmerton

White
Cola

Samuelsson

List of players NHL ready or soon to be NHL ready:

Tatar

Nyquist

Andersson

Ferraro

Sheahan

Lashoff

Almqvist

Jarnkrok

Dekeyser

Sad thing is I don't see anyone but Nyquist, Andersson and MAYYYYYYBE Lashoff being on the team next season.

Jarnkrok should be fast-tracked. Give him a locker-room spot next to Zetterberg. Let him watch Datsyuk in what could be his last season in the NHL. Use him on the wing. Use him on the 3rd or 4th line. Trial. By. Fire. The kid will sink or swim. Sending him to Grand Rapids for a year is almost a step back from the SEL, really at most a lateral move. But that's what's going to happen, right? Sigh.

Why? Despite leading the league in man games lost, we are in a playoff spot right now, there's no need to blow up the team. Committing your team to selling off your assets is the last option that any GM should think of, and will likely get anyone fired when they're not even bottom dwellers. There's a lot of money to be had in postseason tickets, memorabilia, tv deals, etc which is ultimately what makes owners tick.

I'm with you on this, but I still wish Flip was traded for a 1st and 3rd or something like that and then Tatar could just come up, and his numbers are comparative to Flips this year with much less ice time. Tatar is NHL ready.

I'm with you on this, but I still wish Flip was traded for a 1st and 3rd or something like that and then Tatar could just come up, and his numbers are comparative to Flips this year with much less ice time. Tatar is NHL ready.

Tatar isn't a center. While Filppula plays a lot of wing his face-off, and defensive value is something that Tatar does not have at this time.

I do agree Tatar is NHL ready, but not as a Filppula replacement.

Tatar isn't a center. While Filppula plays a lot of wing his face-off, and defensive value is something that Tatar does not have at this time.

I do agree Tatar is NHL ready, but not as a Filppula replacement.

True but we have:

Dats

Z

Helm

Andersson

Emmerton

Abdelkader can play at C

Jarnkrok

Ferraro

Sheahan

If Kenny/Babs are going to give a chance to Jarnkrok he better play on the 3rd line.

Let's say Kenny traded Flip for a mid/late 1st, our is going to be mid 1st... 2-1st rounder in a this year draft would be BIG for our future.

True but we have:

Dats

Z

Helm

Andersson

Emmerton

Abdelkader can play at C

Jarnkrok

Ferraro

Sheahan

If Kenny/Babs are going to give a chance to Jarnkrok he better play on the 3rd line.

Let's say Kenny traded Flip for a mid/late 1st, our is going to be mid 1st... 2-1st rounder in a this year draft would be BIG for our future.

Bolded are bottom 6 players, and Jarnkrok is a few years away from being the complete player Filppula is.

Strong center depth is important, and we just don't have much in the way of prospects that play center. I hope Sheahan, and Ferraro can develop some scoring, but it's not very likely at this point.

I don't know why people seem to keep forgetting this key point I bolded. As it sits we are in the playoffs, what's the problem here? Why are we in such a catastrophic scenario that we need to make an enormous move on deadline day? No reason to make a trade just to make a trade, these aren't the days of stacking with no concern of a spending cap. Sure it's fun and exciting to bring in a big name player at the deadline but why force it and damage our future if the deal doesn't make sense?

I don't know why people seem to keep forgetting this key point I bolded. As it sits we are in the playoffs, what's the problem here? Why are we in such a catastrophic scenario that we need to make an enormous move on deadline day? No reason to make a trade just to make a trade, these aren't the days of stacking with no concern of a spending cap. Sure it's fun and exciting to bring in a big name player at the deadline but why force it and damage our future if the deal doesn't make sense?

Whoa! You changed your name?

How active did you really expect him to be? What big moves do you think he could have made that would have done anything more than just move the team maybe into the 2nd round? The only thing Holland failed at today was not moving Flip. Come summer Holland will overpay just to keep him, as Holland didnt have the stones to move him, and basically we will have a Franzen 2.0 contract.

Edited by GoalieManPat

No.. Matt changed my name I just asked him to :P

Another good point here, we traded Huskins for a 4th pick.. how can we not call that a success?!

Conditional 7th, not a 4th.

But yes it is a very exciting trade.

Conditional 7th, not a 4th.

But yes it is a very exciting trade.

Oh yeah my mistake.. but still. Jesusberg made a pretty good point in booster chat also. DeKeyser was an excellent signing and didn't cost us any assets, if he sticks around he will be a long term defensive key for this team. So we move out Huskins for a 7th pick and sign DeKeyser off of free agency, there's our deadline moves. I'm fine with that.

Oh yeah my mistake.. but still. Jesusberg made a pretty good point in booster chat also. DeKeyser was an excellent signing and didn't cost us any assets, if he sticks around he will be a long term defensive key for this team. So we move out Huskins for a 7th pick and sign DeKeyser off of free agency, there's our deadline moves. I'm fine with that.

Can we let Deke play at least one game before calling him "excellent" signing?

So here's the question:

If both Parise and Suter were available today and it was known they were on the trading block what do you think it would take to acquire these two players? What would you be willing to give up to acquire both? And for sake of argument if we did acquire both Parise and Suter would that be enough to make us a cup contender this year?

Any transaction outside of a UFA acquisition would require giving up some of the kids. Which is apparently not what the Wings want to do, so they again will put all their eggs into the UFA basket. Last year they struck out (Plan A). Plan B was to acquire some other lesser quality players which they also lost out on. Plan C ended up being Sammy and Coke-Cola with an eye on waiting unit UFA season in Summer 2013. Holland himself said he was unsure the Wings would make the playoffs this year so the Wings are/were comfortable with the current player status.

I'm not upset about nothing being done by Holland this deadline, but sooner or later some fat is going to have to be trimmed from this team one way or another.

List of expendable players:

Bertuzzi

Abdelkader

Cleary

Miller

Eaves

Emmerton

White

Cola

Samuelsson

List of players NHL ready or soon to be NHL ready:

Tatar

Nyquist

Andersson

Ferraro

Sheahan

Lashoff

Almqvist

Jarnkrok

Dekeyser

Sad thing is I don't see anyone but Nyquist, Andersson and MAYYYYYYBE Lashoff being on the team next season.

Jarnkrok should be fast-tracked. Give him a locker-room spot next to Zetterberg. Let him watch Datsyuk in what could be his last season in the NHL. Use him on the wing. Use him on the 3rd or 4th line. Trial. By. Fire. The kid will sink or swim. Sending him to Grand Rapids for a year is almost a step back from the SEL, really at most a lateral move. But that's what's going to happen, right? Sigh.

I like this post! This is what has been on my mind, we have A LOT of expedible/3rd or 4th line guys out there...I could see Jarnkrok having a very short stay in GR if he adapts well to the smaller ice before hitting the big show. I don't mind doing nothing as long as we use the honest to goodness BEST pieces we have.

Can we let Deke play at least one game before calling him "excellent" signing?

Alright, putting aside that I made the point of saying "Long Term" in the post I made, he was an excellent signing unless theres a rare instance that his defensively brilliant game that is currently well above the level it should be for his age somehow becomes lost in the NHL transition and he completely forgets how to play hockey he WILL be an excellent signing? Does that work? Nowhere did I say he would come in and be NHL ready this season, but as a free agent signing for the long term potential that cost us nothing, I consider that pretty smart opposed to overpaying at the deadline for someone like Bouwmeester.