• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic

#41 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:17 AM

You cannot be serious about putting Abdelkader on this list! That is just silly.

You think he's vital to the future success of this team? You wouldn't send him away in a package for a top 6 winger?
It's not the "players who suck" list, I just think Abby is very expendable. Doesn't mean he's the first player I'd want to see moved, far from.

#42 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:11 AM

Agreed.  I woudlnt have wanted him to go full blown sell off mode like Calgary did.  But, surely there's a team out there that could have used Franzen.  Cleary. Samuellson.  At least get us some extra picks, or maybe a prospect here or there to help for the future.  Those guys arent exactly a big part of this average team we're putting on the ice.  I don't think we'd miss them much.

I would have at least liked to have seen some effort to try and improve a team, that clearly by their performance on the ice this season needs some improving.

Cleary, unfortunately, is a marginal NHL player at this point. His value is zero to other teams. His only worth to this team is his perceived "hard work attitude" and that he knows the system. Why would anyone take him at this point??

Sammy.  Injured.  Oft injured.  NTC.  Good luck moving him.

Number 19 - Wysh isn't an analyst... or should I rephrase that and say, he's not a reputable one. (He's there for the jokes and jersey fouls.)  Especially if he's not giving a F to Calgary who got fleeced for two of their top players.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#43 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,858 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:18 AM

You think he's vital to the future success of this team? You wouldn't send him away in a package for a top 6 winger?
It's not the "players who suck" list, I just think Abby is very expendable. Doesn't mean he's the first player I'd want to see moved, far from.

Vital? No but compared to the players on your list I see him as a future Red Wing and a solid role player. I would trade him if the return was right but to me that is very different from being expendable.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#44 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:18 AM

I would have liked to see Pominville here but Minny paid a huge price for him.

Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#45 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:03 AM

http://sports.yahoo...._medium=twitter

Wyshynski is hockey's equivalent of Skip Bayless.  

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal

#46 Spongewingredpants

Spongewingredpants

Blade Brunner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

The Jackets acquire Gaborik...

The definition of irony would be if they made the playoffs as the 8th seed and the Wings came in 9th place.....

Bring back No. 91

#47 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:07 AM

The Jackets acquire Gaborik...

The definition of irony would be if they made the playoffs as the 8th seed and the Wings came in 9th place.....

No, the definition of irony would be the now Columbus "Rangers" making the playoffs while Rick Nash & the New York "Blue Jackets" don't.  

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal

#48 Spongewingredpants

Spongewingredpants

Blade Brunner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

No, the definition of irony would be the now Columbus "Rangers" making the playoffs while Rick Nash & the New York "Blue Jackets" don't.  

LOL!

Indeed!

Bring back No. 91

#49 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:41 AM

It's pretty clear that the inmates have taken over the asylum ... really unfortunate.

#50 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:45 AM

I don't know why people seem to keep forgetting this key point I bolded. As it sits we are in the playoffs, what's the problem here? Why are we in such a catastrophic scenario that we need to make an enormous move on deadline day? No reason to make a trade just to make a trade, these aren't the days of stacking with no concern of a spending cap. Sure it's fun and exciting to bring in a big name player at the deadline but why force it and damage our future if the deal doesn't make sense?

The issue that many Wings fans have is that they are not the front runner for the Stanley Cup.  Not that the front runners have won the cup the last few seasons, but I digress....

We are not in a catastrophic situation at all, but fans who are used to having a dominating team in the playoffs with better players than everyone else is just now starting to realize that the cap world sucks a big one.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#51 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

There are only a few ways to get players onto a hockey team.  Draft them, acquire them through free agency, pick them up off waivers, trade for them.  Only one of these options requires you lose something (RFA also I suppose, but that's still a rarity in this league).  The salary cap makes draft picks, prospects, and roster players that much more valuable, so trades are that much less desirable an option to collect players for your team.  I understand that its frustrating to get your hopes up every trade deadline expecting to land some star, but in today's hockey league its more important than ever to be economic.  That means developing your talent, holding onto your picks, and making big roster changes through free agency, not through trades.  Its boring, but its also a smart way to go.

I'm in the minority which believes Holland did not make a mistake this deadline by not making any moves.

1000x the boldest part.

Good young players on cheap contracts is the way to win cups.  It helps if those players are franchise 1st round picks (Toews-Kane, Malkin-Crosby, Getzlaf-Perry) , but we did it a slightly different way.  Zetterberg, Filpulla, Kronwall, Franzen, Hudler and Helm were all playing for peanuts in '08.  Add in cheap veterans who can do a job like Cleary, Samuelsson, Drake, Hasek and Osgood.  Keep your core big money guys like Lidstrom and Datsyuk.  Use the spare cash to add marquee players like Rafalski and Stuart.

The same template has worked for almost every cup winning roster in the cap era.

Edited by Nev, 04 April 2013 - 11:41 AM.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#52 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,550 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

At this point we can move this conversation to one of the other 18 threads discussing Holland, the Wings future, etc. 

Just trying to consolidate a wee bit.