74 replies to this topic

#21 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:29 PM

What comment was that?

He said the owners were ranch owners and players and employees like himself were the cattle, and without the ranch owners they'd be out of work.

Conveniently when the comment was printed by most media outlets or read out on TV they left off the tidbit where he refers to himself as cattle and edited it so it looks like he was only referring to the players.

I doubt Ownership felt embarrassed by it at all, in fact I think every owner out there was probably nodding in agreement. Illitch probably even paid the fine for him.

Edited by FlashyG, 03 April 2013 - 11:30 PM.

#22 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:30 PM

What comment was that?

These comments

#23 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:38 PM

So pathetic, why would he retire because he didn't want to over pay all these over hyped players that aren't even going help us win the cup. Reality check people, everyone knows even if we had traded there's not a player that's going to get this team to the stanley cup. Holland is just realistic and you guys must face the it too that this team is in rebuilding. Keeping draft pick and our prospects is more beneficial to us as then having players like Jagr & Iginla on the roster.

I'm so happy that Holland didn't overpay anyone or that he didn't do any trade at all. Truth be told there's not one player that was on the trade block or could of been traded for which is worth it this year.

You guys think this is back in the days when there's no salary cap we can trade our picks and prospects and get some talent as fast and as easy as it was before. Think again, the game's changed and the salary cap makes decision tougher, the only way to stay competitive over year and year is to keep building up with the draft and keeping your core intact. If you go spend money on FA's and ship off your prospect, you will be dead last for the rest of your life.

#24 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:53 AM

So pathetic, why would he retire because he didn't want to over pay all these over hyped players that aren't even going help us win the cup. Reality check people, everyone knows even if we had traded there's not a player that's going to get this team to the stanley cup. Holland is just realistic and you guys must face the it too that this team is in rebuilding. Keeping draft pick and our prospects is more beneficial to us as then having players like Jagr & Iginla on the roster.

I'm so happy that Holland didn't overpay anyone or that he didn't do any trade at all. Truth be told there's not one player that was on the trade block or could of been traded for which is worth it this year.

You guys think this is back in the days when there's no salary cap we can trade our picks and prospects and get some talent as fast and as easy as it was before. Think again, the game's changed and the salary cap makes decision tougher, the only way to stay competitive over year and year is to keep building up with the draft and keeping your core intact. If you go spend money on FA's and ship off your prospect, you will be dead last for the rest of your life.

This is wrong. Well kinda. Are we rebuilding? if so, then why hang onto guys that are going to be gone soon? Example A. White. UFA after this year. Not coming back. No room for him to be honest. Move him for an extra pick. More prospects. Example B, Colavacio-see Example A. Example C Cleary. example D Miller. Example E franzen. Example F Filppula. Example G Sammy. All could have been moved thus freeing up cap room and gathering more picks to rebuild faster.

Oh you mean you wanted some players? McBain would have ben nice. 25 year old RH shooting Dman. Would have fit in perfectly with Smith, Kindl, lashoff, and dekeyser. Courturier is another. 20 year old future #1 C, something we don't have.

Now I could go on and on about that, and many have. but that wasn't the point of this thread. fact: Holland did nothing. Nothing good nor bad. Nothing to gear up for one last run, and speed up the rebuilding process. The question is why? Does he really believe we will be better by doing nothing? if so, then what do we need him around for? I guess we have all the layers we will ever need. trueth is, no team in any sport is EVER a finished product. You are always changing and trying to improve. We didn't. So again, I ask why? There is only 1 explaination that makes sense. he is done.

#25 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:15 AM

All this whining about Holland standing pat and not selling the future, unbelievable. If I were Holland I'd have taken the easy road out last summer (- retiring with Lidas and moving up as president of hockey operations in the organization) and left my successor trying to fix a behind the pack team, going out as a GM legend! One at least has to love his will to fix it and leave (hopefully Stevie, Shero or Chiarelli) with a great roster to build from.

Develano has pissed away his chance to ever GM the Detroit Red Wings, with his stupid and insanely offending comments. This organization from top to bottom is and always was about being classy and you can't tell me Mr. I was happy with this comment. You try your best to threat players well and then someone of your own organization is throwing the players under the bus like nothing? Doesn't fly with me.

So of course people can critisize Holland all they want, but at least admire his will to fix things.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#26 pondrocket

pondrocket

Rookie

• Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:30 AM

It seems like Holland retired 4 years ago.  Kenny will leave when he has a shot at managing Toronto.  Let's hope that is sooner than later.  Nobody that is ever great at anything is great forever (except Scotty).  Thank you Kenny for the great years & memories.  Those days are over, congrats!  Now GTFO, 

#27 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:53 AM

All this whining about Holland standing pat and not selling the future, unbelievable. If I were Holland I'd have taken the easy road out last summer (- retiring with Lidas and moving up as president of hockey operations in the organization) and left my successor trying to fix a behind the pack team, going out as a GM legend! One at least has to love his will to fix it and leave (hopefully Stevie, Shero or Chiarelli) with a great roster to build from.

Develano has pissed away his chance to ever GM the Detroit Red Wings, with his stupid and insanely offending comments. This organization from top to bottom is and always was about being classy and you can't tell me Mr. I was happy with this comment. You try your best to threat players well and then someone of your own organization is throwing the players under the bus like nothing? Doesn't fly with me.

So of course people can critisize Holland all they want, but at least admire his will to fix things.

What? Who was the GM before Holland? Are you 12? Jimmy D has already been there and done it. he was the one that buildt this team from scratch. I guess you don't remember anything before 1998 or so.........

#28 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,060 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:21 AM

"We like our team."

"We're gonna kick all the tires."

"The price wasn't right."

"[Insert injured player] is our big deadline acquisition."

We need some t-shirts! We could wear them to The Joe in groups - y'know, in honor of Ken's brilliant work and all. :innocent:

Edited by Dabura, 04 April 2013 - 05:22 AM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#29 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:21 AM

Why would Holland retire?  Because some posters on a Red Wings message board want him to?  :lol:   He isn't going anywhere.  If you can't handle seeing Kenny Holland being the GM of the Red Wings then maybe it's time to start cheering for another team.  If it bothers you that much.  :lol:

Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#30 ZforC

ZforC

Draftee

• 8 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:55 AM

What? Who was the GM before Holland? Are you 12? Jimmy D has already been there and done it. he was the one that buildt this team from scratch. I guess you don't remember anything before 1998 or so.........

Yeah who was that guy? Ya know the guy that built a cup winning team in Long Island and then in detroit :P Its sad that some ppl dont remember past 1998.....Bandwogoners........gotta love em ;)

Also ppl need to quit bitching about what holland did or didnt do. The mans one of the best gms of all time : 6 Presidents trophies(no other team has more than 2 ;)  ) 21 straight playoff app. 7 WCF appearences,  6 SCF 4 Cup wins, ... Seriously what more can you ask for out of a gm. COuld be worse, remember when we were the dead wings?(poor mickey :(      ) Be thankfull that you have a team that has been competative. PPl need to quit being so damned spoiled. 

Obviously he doesnt want to trade the farm away for 1 player. Not in the cap era. PPl have to remember that most of these guys are still young. I feel we have a very good core of young players. Lashoff to me has been the biggest surprise, Kinda reminds me of Nick abit with the way he plays. Nothing flashy just smart descisions. We most teams go through a "rebuilding" stage they are garbage.(Look at calgary and buffalo) But sometimes our fanbase reminds me of lakers nation a little bit. You cant dominate for years and years with out having to rebuild at some point. (not to get off topic) Look at Kobe, The closest thing to MJ, Hes getting older. PLAYERS GET OLDER. Cant stop the inevitable

Edited by ZforC, 04 April 2013 - 07:16 AM.

#31 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:24 AM

Probably a Rolex. Maybe an Audemars.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#32 RedWingAbner

RedWingAbner

My Loony Bun Is Fine, Benny Lava

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:20 AM

The greatest day in Red Wings history=when Holland has no impact on the team anymore.

#33 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:51 AM

The greatest day in Red Wings history=when Holland has no impact on the team anymore.

Hmmmm let's see....  The day Gordie signed with the Wings, the first game the Production Line was put together, the day the Ilitch family bought the team, the day Devellano was hired, the day Yzerman, Lidstrom, Fedorov, Zetterberg, or Datsyuk were drafted, the hiring of Scotty, the Shanny trade, the Russian Five on the ice for the first time, the Turtle Incident, the Cup win on home ice in 97, Vladdy on the ice with the Cup in 98, the 02 Cup with all the future hall of famers,  the Cup win in 08 when all the haters said the Wings couldn't win under a salary cap?  None of these are greater?  Really?  Really?  Use hyperbole much?  

#34 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:06 AM

So pathetic, why would he retire because he didn't want to over pay all these over hyped players 

Could someone please explain this to me please, because from we all just saw over the past week a lot of trades made me think REALLY??  That's all they got for him?!  ex.Iggy  Jagr  Morrow  Gange and I would even toss Gaborik and Murray in there...I will also add that Im not upset we didn't land anyone here, just sick of hearing every goddamn trade deadline and July 1st that ^&*%$#$ word over pay while handfulls of teams around us sign top end talent we over pay for role playing scrubs, most have played for us before so instead of saying we over payed we played it safe.  

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#35 gowings2414

gowings2414

Jr. Prospect

• 28 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

Seriously? I mean, I knew there would be a few people on here that would be telling him that he needs to go, but I can't believe how many people I do see. The guy has helped build a Stanley Cup WINNING team 4 times in the past 16 years. Simple math, 25% in the past 16 years of ALL teams in the NHL, were the wings winning the cup. Not to mention, we've been contenders year after year boosting 100+ points in a season. We've made the playoffs 21 years in a row. Longer than some people on this forum have been alive probably. I DO realize that these past few years we've been on the decline, not living up to what we've seen. I honestly don't think we need to start getting rid of this guy until we REALLY see some devastating situations (ex: miss the playoffs, then struggle the following year). We are going to have a lot of cap space this off-season, the new CBA kicking in (aka teams like s***tsburgh struggling to keep all their "talent"), PLENTY of talented UFA's, and have a plethora of prospects to trade (not to mention a very talented draft year coming up). 

Things are "bad" now compared to the past 20 years, but this team is still in the race to get to the playoffs (despite us being in a "rebuilding year"). After that it's fair game, cups aren't handed out, they're earned.  

Yeah who was that guy? Ya know the guy that built a cup winning team in Long Island and then in detroit :P Its sad that some ppl dont remember past 1998.....Bandwogoners........gotta love em ;)

Also ppl need to quit bitching about what holland did or didnt do. The mans one of the best gms of all time : 6 Presidents trophies(no other team has more than 2 ;)  ) 21 straight playoff app. 7 WCF appearences,  6 SCF 4 Cup wins, ... Seriously what more can you ask for out of a gm. COuld be worse, remember when we were the dead wings?(poor mickey :(      ) Be thankfull that you have a team that has been competative. PPl need to quit being so damned spoiled. 

Obviously he doesnt want to trade the farm away for 1 player. Not in the cap era. PPl have to remember that most of these guys are still young. I feel we have a very good core of young players. Lashoff to me has been the biggest surprise, Kinda reminds me of Nick abit with the way he plays. Nothing flashy just smart descisions. We most teams go through a "rebuilding" stage they are garbage.(Look at calgary and buffalo) But sometimes our fanbase reminds me of lakers nation a little bit. You cant dominate for years and years with out having to rebuild at some point. (not to get off topic) Look at Kobe, The closest thing to MJ, Hes getting older. PLAYERS GET OLDER. Cant stop the inevitable

Hmmmm let's see....  The day Gordie signed with the Wings, the first game the Production Line was put together, the day the Ilitch family bought the team, the day Devellano was hired, the day Yzerman, Lidstrom, Fedorov, Zetterberg, or Datsyuk were drafted, the hiring of Scotty, the Shanny trade, the Russian Five on the ice for the first time, the Turtle Incident, the Cup win on home ice in 97, Vladdy on the ice with the Cup in 98, the 02 Cup with all the future hall of famers,  the Cup win in 08 when all the haters said the Wings couldn't win under a salary cap?  None of these are greater?  Really?  Really?  Use hyperbole much?  

THANK YOU

"I am number 13, because I am number 13" - Pavel Datsyuk

#36 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

Yep, Holland was rebuilding all along, that's why he went after Jagr.  

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#37 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

Ummm....I think you're confusing Nill with Devellano?  :eh:

#38 SuperCalaFilppulastic!

SuperCalaFilppulastic!

Flippin' Awesome

• PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:32 AM

I'm sick of the logic that because of the success in the past, then we should never be happy to see Holland go. Are you kidding me? I suppose Gretzky and Howe should keep going because of their history. Perhaps Lidstrom could keep playing and playing despite his decline and age because of all of his Norris trophies. Canucks should have never got rid of Burke, etc.

Holland, like everyone else in the organization, needs to be re-evaluated on yearly basis or else you risk falling to complacency with past accomplishments and fail to adapt to the new league. He needs to earn and keep his job. If you're satisfied with this team and the direction Holland is going (aka half-assed plan B rebuild), then you'll be in for quite the surprise when the Wings become the CBJ and NYI of recent past, especially if Datsyuk leaves.

Yes, we have great prospects - but we have absolutely zero transition from old guard to new in the works. Just like how we lost Lidstrom, Rafalski, and Stuart and had to throw together a D corps. If it weren't for injuries forcing our hand... the next wave would have been in the AHL all year.

Edited by SuperCalaFilppulastic!, 04 April 2013 - 10:33 AM.

Check out my Wings autographed card collection here!

#39 RedWingAbner

RedWingAbner

My Loony Bun Is Fine, Benny Lava

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:07 AM

Those were all great days of promise; Ken Holland's retirement will usher in an era of prosperity and change.  No more "injured coming back=deadline acquisition," no more paying for crap (Quincey, Samuelsson) retreads and calling it "going all in," no more watching superstars of their generation (Yzerman, Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg) waste away at the end of their careers because "prices were too high."

For every Brendan Smith there's a Jesse Wallin; I'd much rather give a 1st/2nd and know what I've got (Boumeester) for 6 years than hope a draft pick develops into J-Bo in 6 years.

#40 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:15 AM

Somehow richdg came across as offensive and ZforC came across as sarcastic. I just have to laugh at that for a moment. 

Unfortunately, seeing as I only REALLY started watching hockey in 2000 as a Leaf fan, knowing that Jimmy D was the GM is not something that has stuck in my head. Wasn't until summer of '02 when I came here with the Cujo acquisition that I knew much about the Wings. Cut the new fans some slack, we don't all do research on this team before we start to enjoy their play.